Which Trolling motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingsnhammers

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new trolling motor since my current one stopped working. I guess this just means that I can go ahead and get a bow mount. :mrgreen: I have a pretty strict budget of 500 and am looking for a bow mounted, foot controlled trolling motor. I don't have much experience with trolling motors, so I could use help in choosing one. The boat is a 14' semi-v. I fish two people in the boat most of the time. I want one that will be fairly efficient but will still get me around pretty well. My main fishing ground has plenty of weeds and sometimes there is no way to avoid them. In fact, I'm pretty sure running my old transom mounted motorguide through thick weeds is what killed it. I don't think that I need over 60lbs thrust.

So, if you were in the market for a new bow mounted tm, which would you spend your hard earned money on? It seems like both MotorGuide and Minnkota have their fans and haters. Just looking for additional insight and recommendations. Thanks in advance!

I have had good luck with minn kotas. The powerdrive model is nice. I had bad luck with a motorguide. The motor itself was great but the little spring loaded clip that is used to set the depth was a complete pos.

Ive had a minnkota foot control for years and it works great. Replaced some parts on it when the wind and waves slammed it down in a rock bar a few times. Parts were cheap. Id buy it again. I like the ability to grab the rope, pull it part way out of the water, and pull the boat across low areas.

I am also looking around for a bow mount. Was leaning toward a motorguide wireless.
Thank goodness I got to go fishing with a guy that has one. Sounds like a small dog or a fox yipping every time it moves.
After listening to this all night, there is "NO WAY" that I would buy one of these!
His BIL has a Minnkota bow mount that is much quieter.
Just something to consider!

I'm a minnkota fan personally. Not only the price but durability and graphite shaft. I have a minnkota bow mount that my dad bought refurbished in 1990. I use it in saltwater for fishing and duckhunting and its been great and still hanging in there. I rinse it with freshwater after use. I also have a 3 year old 50lb edge foot control bow mount. And zero issues.

I have had a 55 pound thrust minkota edge for the last 4 years and it has been a good motor. Never let me down yet, only complaint is I wish I would have got a higher thrust model. That would also require a 24 volt system, so I will keep it as is. I bought this motor at Cabelas on sale and it also came with a rebate.

I appreciate the replies! I was leaning toward one of the Minnkota powerdrive V2 45# thrust 48" shaft. I'm not sure if the digital "maximizer" actually works, but it can't hurt. It also gets good reviews.

I picked up a Powerdrive V2 last summer and I love it so far, and the foot control is awesome. You can also add the co-pilot or even the ipilot onto it and makes for a great TM. I just added ipilot to mine and it makes for an even greater time on the water not having to constantly step on the pedal.

You can usually find different models on sale under $500, especially the #50 thrust range.

Latest posts