Who uses G-mail?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
Just signed up for a G-mail account because of Hotmail's "wonderful" (read as pain in the azz) "upgrade". Now when I go to create an email I have to type in the contacts email address and I can barely remember my own, let alone a dozen others. How can I (if I can) use a drop down or list of contacts?

Well I found one way to do it but only if I select my contact BEFORE I type my message, which is backwards from the way I am used to doing. If i type the message first and then try to select my contacts it telle me I haven't sent the message and changes will be lost.

flounderhead59 said:
Well I found one way to do it but only if I select my contact BEFORE I type my message, which is backwards from the way I am used to doing. If i type the message first and then try to select my contacts it telle me I haven't sent the message and changes will be lost.

Click on "save", it wil go to a "draft" folder and stay there until you're ready to send it..... re-open when you ready with you contacts, attachments, etc. I went to Gmail wen I retired in July but I haven't learned all the stuff yet - I was used to my work email and I'm still earning he new Gmail stuff......

flounderhead59 said:
And can I sort my contacts by last name?

Ya know, I hope someone else who is far more familiar with Gmail can help you, like I said, I'm still learning - BUT... when I go to the "TO:" section to add an address, I just type in one letter and it brings up everyone with that letter - first name, last name middle name, etc. It is real easy to find a contact to send (add to the send space)... Now, I did have some issues bringing in all my contacts from my Outlook acount at work, but my IT guy solved that for me. Now, I have all my contacts and it is VERY easy to bring one up - like I said, I just type "B", if I want Bob, Bubba, ******* (oops) or Batich, bartholume, bancroft, etc - all first names and lasty names with a "B" come up - then just clik on one to add it to the adress (send to) file.???? Sorry, not much help, like I said, someone else out there I'm sure knows lots more than me.....

flounderhead59 said:
And can I sort my contacts by last name?

Oh yeah, didn't answer your question - you can sort them by last name by going into contacts, bringing up one and re-listing it by last name first. Then they will all be alphabetical.. but like I said, they don't need to be organized when you can just type in one letter to bring them up??

love gmail and all there features,, we use google calendar for my practice, and its FREE,, we use the email address still using our domain name,, in your gmail you can add your calendar on the left side,, which is thumbs up feature!! works great with my Mac,, tells me when i get a new email gmail notifier!!

I do like the Hotmail way of listing contacts where when you click on the To, CC, or BCC, all your contacts pop up. That way I don't forget someone when sending out emails.

Well if youve started writing and forgot to set the contact you can always highlight it and copy it, then come back after youve got the contact selected and paste it in

flounderhead59 said:
I do like the Hotmail way of listing contacts where when you click on the To, CC, or BCC, all your contacts pop up. That way I don't forget someone when sending out emails.

If you go to TO:, CC, or BCC, just type a first letter, like "J", it will bring up all the possibles (first name, last name or middle initial is J, etc.) so it is very easy to find people in your contacts list - like mentioned in previous posts. But, if you don't want to miss anyone, you can also just click on "Contacts" and click the check box for all that you want to send the email to. This is where you may want to thave hem in alphabetical order, but, it may not be necessary since you're going to read the entire list from top to bottom to insure you don't miss anyone, they don't need to be in alphabetical order, do they??? Like mentioned in previous posts, you can re-organize your contact list alphabeticall easy enough. Personally, mine are listed by either first or last name (like my cell phone list) based on how well I know them - friends are listed by firast name, business contacts usually by last name. ----- :D If I want to send an email to Flounderhead59, I simply type in a "F", (which brings up Flounderhead or Frank or Andy) or an "A" (which brings up Andy or Frank or Flounderhead) - they all are the same person (I think you are???? :p ) it is really a simply process that works well for me....

I'm Popeye too. Thanks. Gonna be a learning curve and once I get comfortable with it (if I get comfortable with it), then I'll make the official move.

flounderhead59 said:
I'm Popeye too. Thanks. Gonna be a learning curve and once I get comfortable with it (if I get comfortable with it), then I'll make the official move.

Well, Gmail is good, but I don't think it will show "Popeye" in my contacts without me adding it??? How'd you come by Popeye? That's a new one to me??

When I was growing up, Grandparents were always Grandma, and Grandpa. Where my wife is from (Texas) they are all called something different, Me-me, Me-maw, Maw-maw, Pap-pap, Paw-paw, and so on. With me being in the Navy and me refusing to be called Pee-paw, I was dubbed Popeye.

Not as exciting as you were expecting, huh?

flounderhead59 said:
When I was growing up, Grandparents were always Grandma, and Grandpa. Where my wife is from (Texas) they are all called something different, Me-me, Me-maw, Maw-maw, Pap-pap, Paw-paw, and so on. With me being in the Navy and me refusing to be called Pee-paw, I was dubbed Popeye.

Not as exciting as you were expecting, huh?

Actually, I kinda like the Pee paw :lol: :lol: :p