Will 43lbs of Thrust be enough for my setup?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_boat_new_smile

Reaction score
I have a 12' aluminum boat. I'd say that we will be around 450lbs - 500lbs with two people, battery, gear etc.
The boat is rated for 550lbs (or 650 couldn't read the tag very well), so we are going to be close to the max weight.

Here's the question. I picked up a Motor Guide Trolling motor for 50 bucks. It is 43lbs of thrust and works well.

Do you guys think this is enough thrust to push me around the lake.

yea it will push you, but not as fast as you are going to want to go. Is it a front or rear trolling motor?

If it's a transom mount, I would suggest rotating the head on it and mount it on the bow... they pull much better than they push.

for the price you can't go wrong. like the others have stated it will move you but you may struggle in the wind.
good news is you don't have wind in Texas...lol

I have a 40lb Mincota transom mount on my 14' Alumacraft. even with a second person it pulls me all around the lake fine. thats 2 people, battery for the trolling motor, outboard and gas can and all the gear. I dont know how many times I havent even fired up the outboard to get to the next fishing spot.

43lbs on a 12 foot boat.
Should work fine,is that your only means of propulsion?

It will work just fine and more than likely be all that you ever need on that boat, even in a heavy wind.

A 43lb thrust trolling motor was a monster for that size boat 10-15 years ago before anything under 50 suddenly fell out of style. I think sometimes we forget how "bad" things used to be but we all somehow managed to fish. :lol:

Quackrstackr said:
It will work just fine and more than likely be all that you ever need on that boat, even in a heavy wind.

A 43lb thrust trolling motor was a monster for that size boat 10-15 years ago before anything under 50 suddenly fell out of style. I think sometimes we forget how "bad" things used to be but we all somehow managed to fish. :lol:

:beer:

I couldn't have said it better .That motor will be plenty I have used 40PD's on deep V's and never had a problem get it mounted and go fish :p

I run a 30lb on my 12' and I think it goes pretty fast. You should have no problem.

Latest posts