wire question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfishhunter

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone has used extention cords for their wiring on their boats , i have a bunch of good but old cords that i have no more use for . i figured since they have a heavy jacket on them they would be durable . the only thing that i will be powering off them will be my running lights , and 2 lights for my floor . i figured i would just cut the ends off and use the wires .

On my 16 ft Carolina Skiff (not on my current tin) I use jumper cable cording to power the trolling motor.

It has a large wire size; great insulation; reasonable price and is nicely molded.

Of course, It is always recommended that one uses pre-tinned wire for boat wiring. It doesn't corrode as easily. However, if you are not going to use that pre-tinned wire..(many boaters do not use the pre-tinned stuff, in spite of the recommendations) then an auto jumper cable makes a good substitute.. IMHO. Rich

thanks Rich , trying to save money right now cause i have been laid-off since november . I figured they would work , just thought i would throw it out there for some input . i will be incasing the wires in pvc pipe that i will run under my removable floor for even more protection too. i am also going to add a couple of floor lights and i was thinking about using a couple of side marker trailer lights i have , they are amber in color . i would like clear lenses but i think the yellow will not draw as many bugs as the clear and these i have already .

Regardless of whatever covering/insulation etc. that you use.... it is very important to use the correct gauge wire for the job. Large amp draws require larger sized wire. Long runs...larger sized wire.

But, how much is too much? What is the correct size for the draw and the run that YOU have? I found a convenient boat wiring gauge at the LINK below. Hope that helps.

Don't under-size your job or you could have a fire. I've never done it, but some guys have doubled up the wiring when they didn't have the correct thickness/size. I don't know how much that helps or hurts, though.

regards, Rich

https://www.marine-electronics-reviews.com/boat-wire.html

An extension cord will work - but it is not marine grade wire (which is tinned) so expect problems after a year or two

I had to use a 6ft chunk of extension cord on my boat trailer because i was short some wire, it works good, may not last as long but works good.

I used an outdoor extension cord (one of the orange ones) for lights on a trailer that went in and out of salt water for a couple of years. Then the trailer sat for a few years without being used. When I hooked it back up to my truck, the trailer lights worked just fine.

For low draw items like lights, fish finder, stuff like that then the extension cord wiring should work just fine.

i used extension cords on my old tin and they worked good and stayed protected with the outer coating. I used them on my navagation lights, and my bilge pump. Just make sure that the wire guage is correct for what your wiring it to.

Latest posts