Wiring In Gunwale?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep V 3654

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a 1985 Mirrocraft Deep V to a 2008. I love the open layout of this boat. I've had the 1985 for over 7 years and did a lot of work to it, including a total replacement of the floor. When I replaced the floor I also ran wiring to the bow for a light. Now that I've got a newer boat I need to rig the electrical system, but the floor board is good and I don't want to rip the entire boat apart just to run a bow light wire.

My question is this; the gunwale aluminum appears to be hollow, has anyone ever tried run wiring in the gunwale aluminum itself?

Love the site, I've found loads of helpful info here!

Thanks!

I have run mine like that on 2 boats. what I did to fish it was drilled the holes front an rear where I want the wire to come out, used the air compressor to blow string to the other end, tied my wire to it and pulled.

Thanks for the feedback. That sounds like a good idea with the compressed air. My only worry is that there are a couple screws for after market oar locks that might be partially in the way. Only one way to find out though!

Here's a little secret for running wires.....use a length of 1/4" wire cable. Be sure to use a torch to melt the end into a ball, so there's no sharp strands sticking out. This works WAY better than a fish-tape, as the fish tape is flat, and is really only designed to bend one way. The cable can bend in all directions, making it perfect for pulling wires through conduits with bends...something you usually can't do with a fish tape. And yet, it's rigid enough, you can feed it through the conduit, without it wanting to kink, snag, or turn back on itself.

It will be a single clean 2 cond. wire, no splices etc.

Thanks for all the info. I will post some photos of the work as soon as the weather permits me to actually do any of it!

Thanks

Just did this on my 1432 for my trolling motor power and FF power. Cleans the boat up nice and was very easy.

I ran my wiring in my old but through the gunwale. I ran short pieces of plastic hose into the gunwale down into the decks to keep from chaffing the wires.

Latest posts