Wiring my boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steel CURTain

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have some pretty basic questions about boat wiring. First of all, I KNOW NOTHING about wiring/electrical so bear with me. :? I am looking to put in a fuse box that I've ordered from Cabelas. I want to connect my 12V battery to it and connect a fishfinder, nav lights, and a 12V receptical. What type of wiring do I use to go from the battery to the fuse box and what size?? Can I used regular wire or do I need a marine grade?? I store my boat in a garage, it is never out in the weather unless I am fishing if that makes a difference... Is a fuse box difficult to install even with the total lack of expertise that I possess?? :lol:

As far goes as your trolling motor, I don't know how big of a fuse it takes, but I have a 50 amp circut breaker just for my TM. If it stops working that is the first thing I check. I have inline fuses for each peice of electronics. This is just my personal opinion, but if something isn't working it is usually only one fuse I need to check. A fuse box is a little more confusing to me and again, that is just my personal opinion. I label each of my individual inline fuses so I know if my front fish finder isn't working I check the one labeled front fish finder.
As far as the marine grade wire, some say yes and others say it doesn't matter. I went with marine grade just so I don't have to go back a couple of years from now and say I shoulda...... Marine wire is tinned and doesn't allow for much corrosion if any. Which is why it's so **** expensive.

Just my thoughts.
Pont

Latest posts