Wiring question-HELP Please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I did'nt see this thread sooner. I could have scanned and posted the picture of the schematic for my Skiff I rewired and modified.

Glad someone pulled through for you..

If I have my trolling battery in the center bench, and my trolling motor on the front bow, that means I would have to run roughly 10' feet of wire from battery to motor- is this ok to have the length that long? Def adding a amp breaker up front.

Jim

jmcaswell said:
If I have my trolling battery in the center bench, and my trolling motor on the front bow, that means I would have to run roughly 10' feet of wire from battery to motor- is this ok to have the length that long? Def adding a amp breaker up front.

Jim
Should be fine, if you use heavy gauge tinned marine wire. Since your total round trip length (both wires) is 20', I'd use 4ga, but 6ga would probably be ok.
You don't want to add the breaker up front at the TM, it needs to be no more than 7" from the battery.

For the finder, unless you have a really long run, 16 should work (14 is better). You can use an in-line fuse for it if you don't have a fuse panel.

For an aerator you'd have to know the amp draw and the length of wire run (round trip) to calculate the gauge.

14 ft boat and the round trip would be about 25 ft. Would 14 gauge be enough for nav lights, fishfinder, and some headlights?

Nav and finder, probably.
Headlights, probably not. You need to figure out the amp draw on the lights before you can figure out wire gauge.
For example, you can see in this Blue Sea Systems Chart that a run of 0-20' at a 5 amp load would be 16AWG, but the same run at a 30 amp load would need 10AWG.

I usually get mine from Tinned Marine Wire.
Don't know if they are the cheapest, but their stuff is good quality, they have about everything (one-stop shopping), ship quickly, and have great customer service.

Latest posts