Wood vs. aluminum framework

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenG

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to convert my lowe 1648 jonboat to a bass boat and can't decide whether to use aluminum or wood for the deck framework. I am much more comfortable working with wood, but worry about the weight. Aluminum is lighter but (for me) harder to work with. Any advice from those who have been there, done that?

Welcome aboard, Thank you for joining :beer:

Aluminum will be lighter, but more expensive. You have a big jon so the extra weight of the wood, might even be a plus for your size boat. Tell us more about your plans. I'm looking forward to the build.

i did wood for the same reason you are questioning it. wood you have more lee-way but quite a bit heavier. i used wood and my next jon i will use aluminum. wood if you leave it outside in the weather you have to worry about rot. aluminum you have to worry about corrosion(white powder/residue) bit if you prep it for the long haul you will be okay. same for wood as far as prepping for the long haul, but the weight of what ever you use will be greater. also how you fish is gonna play a role. i personally feel more comfortable standing on the left front of the boat(any boat) so i reinforced that side a little bit more due to wear and tear. hope this helps

If you have experience with wood, you can use aluminum just fine. It can be cut on a table saw or miter saw provided you have a carbide blade. It can be drilled with standard multi use bits, and riveted with a 20 dollar riveter from Home Depot. I really cannot think of a reason not to use it, aside from cost, but if you plan on keeping the rig for a while, that is played out. No longer are you bound to cover it after a long day - a little rain won't hurt it. Plus, it is lighter.

I agree.Aluminum isn't much different from wood.A good hack saw with a couple of quality blades,a pop rivet gun,drill bits for the size rivets you plan to use,hand drill,tape measure,and marking pen/pencil.I'm sure there will be other tools you may use but that's just the main ones.If you can afford aluminum do aluminum.Find a local supplier and tell them your plans.They can get you out cheaper.Don't go for the expensive crap at the "Home (Rip Off) Improvement Centers."More weight you save now the more people/gear you can carry later.

I'll stick with wood for a number of reasons, cost being a main one. Also, you aren't going to save a tremendous amount of weight if you use 2X2's (rather than 2X4's). Unless you use aluminum decking, it's going to still eventually rot. So when you replace it all, you have the option of changing the floorplan, not so easily done with aluminum.

Plus, if your boat gets struck by lightning, you're insulated :mrgreen:

ST

Go aluminum.

One time and done vs. a few years and a redo if your boat stays outside.

Use aluminum rivets or ss hardware to maximize fastener life and minimize corrosion.

WELCOME ABOARD KGLADE AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE MOD. Personaly, I would go wood first, experiment, make shure you get what you want, the way you want. Then you have the patern, and the time to save the $$$$ for the final mod. with allum. Just a sugestion !!

Lots of good suggestions. Thanks to all who responded.

I have not finalized my plans yet. I have a simple plan that gets me 75% of what I want with a smaller amount of work and money, and I have a GRAND PLAN that gets me everything I want but is the most work and money.

In the simple plan, I will build a front casting deck with storage underneath, a rear deck mostly to cover the gas tank and battery, install four seat mounts amidships, and one each on the front and rear decks. I need to install lighting so I can fish early morn and late evening, and I want to install a trolling motor at the bow.

The boat I bought already came with a side console, steering and flooring, but the carpet is shot.

I will post more, maybe even a "before" picture, once I decide what I will do.

Thanks again,
Ken

kglade said:

I have not finalized my plans yet. I have a simple plan that gets me 75% of what I want with a smaller amount of work and money, and I have a GRAND PLAN that gets me everything I want but is the most work and money.

In the simple plan, I will build a front casting deck with storage underneath, a rear deck mostly to cover the gas tank and battery, install four seat mounts amidships, and one each on the front and rear decks. I need to install lighting so I can fish early morn and late evening, and I want to install a trolling motor at the bow.

The boat I bought already came with a side console, steering and flooring, but the carpet is shot.

Thanks again,
Ken
I can give all sorts of technical advise, as can most everybody on this board, but if there is one bit of advise that you actually take heed to, it would have to be GO FOR THE GRAND PLAN. If you don't, you WILL kick yourself anytime you use the boat up until the day you go for the grand plan.

When I built my Yazoo, I planned everything I could think of into it, and there were some things that I didn't figure I need, but I put them in anyway. Boy am I glad I did.

bassboy1 said:
kglade said:

Thanks again,
Ken
I can give all sorts of technical advise, as can most everybody on this board, but if there is one bit of advise that you actually take heed to, it would have to be GO FOR THE GRAND PLAN. If you don't, you WILL kick yourself anytime you use the boat up until the day you go for the grand plan.

When I built my Yazoo, I planned everything I could think of into it, and there were some things that I didn't figure I need, but I put them in anyway. Boy am I glad I did.

I agree with Bassboy. It's easier to put something in during initial install and not need it than want something retrofitted later on down the road. And since the difference in your 2 plans is 25%... well, seems a no brainer.

That's all well & fine, but you better make sure you're "grand plan" is something you'll want to live with. I've not done alot of things over the course of my life that I wouldn't have like to done at least something a little differently or change.

ST