Wooden Gunnels?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JitteryJack

Reaction score
Found a couple of projects on here with wooden gunnels, it looks amazing and I think I'm hellbent on the idea. Picking up the Delhi 14 V tomm, anyone have any experience/suggestions on this? Looks like white ash is a recommended wood?

Usual marine woods would be ash, white oak, teak, mahogany. If the boat isn't always in the water (I assume you'll trailer it)
you have more choices and just about any closed cell wood can work so cherry, dense heart pine, maybe walnut. Maple or popular I don't think would be good. Maple rots quick and poplar is not that good looking.
Osage orange and mulberry could be nice but only a good supplier would have them.
I think what you can get away with depends on how much sun and water it gets and how you finish it. I use three coats of spar urethane.
Teak wears out tools and the dust is nasty so I avoid it.

Thanks for the insight, the boat will be trailered and will be covered when not in use so exposure to sun will be just during operational hours, (hopefully as many of those as possible!)

Latest posts