Worst job ever?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a true story kinda related to sewage: (originally posted this in the humor section, Mar. '08).

Year: 1975, aboard USS Capodanno (FF-1093)

Wow! Summer time in the Mediterranean in Spain, and we get off everyday at noon if we don't have duty! Today, my buddy Dave (real name) and I are gonna try snorkeling in the harbor near the marina. Shouldn't be to bad a task for a guy from Kentucky and one from Arizona…or so we thought. My buddy Dave was not afraid of anything and often acted before he thought.

This great day we we're out amongst the speed boats that the locals had anchored offshore and we're getting pretty good at the snorkeling, once I learned that you need to exhale after surfacing instead of inhaling for air….all you get is water if you do it wrong. Anyway, we mess around for awhile longer, and we're underwater about 4' and I look over at Dave and he's motioning for me to look at something. I look over and there's something below the surface that looks like a stick maybe. All of a sudden I realize what it is, so I'm trying to get his attention while he's steady swimming towards the object……………….too late! He grabs it and immediately lets go and starts shaking his hand trying to get something off of it. My guess was correct. Dave had latched-on to about a foot-long turd hovering below the surface! I literally thought I was gonna drown before I got to the surface (hey, you ever tried to laugh uncontrollably underwater!?).

Once we got back to the beach he's yelling "Don't you dare tell anyone on the ship what happened!". I told him "Sure man, no problem". Guess what I did the minute we got back onboard! :wink:

Unfortunately, I end up dealing with sewage situations everyday. I'm the plant and facility manager
for a large marine and land defence contractor with a 1000+ employees. I'm responsible for all new
construction (nice) and I'm over maintenance(not so nice at times). I never knew grown people could be so nasty
until they put the janitorial staff under my maintenance dept. I love trouble shooting million dollar
robot welders, plasma/laser, and waterjets, but the sewage situations are hard for me to deal with.

Sewage is the worst job.........ever! But to back track a little bit, taking down wallpaper and any sheetrocking work be it sanding, painting, etc. can be a pain in the butt as well. The worst is always the prep work the whole painting thing ain't bad unless you're doing cabinets and you don't have a spray gun. Brushing and rolling cabinets sucks!
I've been a home/industrial paint manager for 10 years now and I'd like to offer a little help to make anyones life easier when it comes down to removing wallpaper be it old or new. Doing this will help minimize any tearing of the sheetrock paper underneath the wallpaper which means you won't have to seal the damaged areas and float mud over them.
Take a pump up bug/deck sprayer and put 1-2 capfulls of Downy liquid laundry softener and fill the rest with warm/hot water. Shake/mix well then saturate walls with this mixture. You really want to give the walls a good soaking. Let this sit/penetrate for about 2-3 minutes. Then you should be able to peel the wallpaper away glue and all, but have a scraper with you to help loosen areas you can't get w/your fingernails. If it only removes the top layer of the wallpaper and the glue remains then just repeat process again. This is cheaper and more effective then a steamer or any of those gels to remove this crap from the box stores.
Hope this helps anyone with their worst job,
Adam

Latest posts