Xpress 1546D Makeover... -- SOLD!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russ,

How well does that 70 lb thrust push the boat? It looks like you just have electric power. just wondering how that big electric pushes in comparison to gas power?

well.. it doesn't push, it pulls!

The more thrust you have up front pulling, the more power/speed you're going to get out of your boat. With that 71# on the front and 2 55#s on the back, my top speed is a little over 5mph. When I have batteries that aren't about to conk out on me, it will run that speed all day long. But one thing you have to remember, unless you get a 3hp electric motor, you aren't going to plane out... you'll only be able to do your hulls top speed which is just before planing.

I also have a gas motor that I use in bigger lakes

I have a small trolling motor that came with the boat I bought. It is an old 1 hp Diehard. I thought it was weird that it was quoted in hp instead of thrust but either way, I plan on putting it on the transom as opposed to the front. I am assuming this is Ok to transom mount..?

russ010 said:
it's 1/16" aluminum for the livewell...

I'm fairly certain it's TIG welded... I think that's the best way to weld aluminum.

1/16th? I emailed him once, and the response I got is that all of their wells are made of 1/8 5052.

I'm pretty positive it's 1/16"... I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. The lip would stick up and be a toe stubber if it was 1/8" thick, and the lip is definitely 1/16.... it's all one piece too except for the lids. Pretty sure they are 1/16" too

you'll have to give it the bassboy1 approval when you get to fish with me (which should be opening up sometime soon .... hopefully) notice it's 10:39PM, and I'm still at work doing these dag blamed Underwriting Files for our audit next week...

Your boat looks great. You've put in a lot of hard work and it has paid off. How much do you have in the boat with all the mods you have performed?

Bushy99 said:
Your boat looks great. You've put in a lot of hard work and it has paid off. How much do you have in the boat with all the mods you have performed?

Probably around $400 with the aluminum, wood and rivets.

As far as the livewell goes, along with the pumps - that's probably an additonal $400.

I had all of the motors and batteries from previous boats with the exception of the front TM - that one ran closer to $500

Home Grown Basser said:
Thats real camoflauge right there Yee Haw! LOL =D>

are you talking about the paint job?? I hated it when I first got the boat - and now I just don't give a flip.. I'm not repainting this boat - especially with all the mods on it. If I do anything, I'll rattle can the hell out of it every few years!

Looks like a heck of a project you have there. Bassboy is doing mine. I'd love to get into a Jon boat club but don't really know where to start. Can you help me with any info?

Give me a call sometime... 404-694-4689

There's a few clubs out there, just a matter of which lakes you want to fish.

Have you been on https://forum.gon.com yet? That is where you can get all sorts of info on Georgia fishing

Russ, I just went through your 1546 Makeover and you done an awesome job. You have a nice boat!! Thanks !!

nah no sticky needed...

But I'm still not finished with it.. I still need to complete building the front deck with all the compartments. I am waiting for a streak of no rain so that I can cut and stain the wood. I'm not doing that in the garage again. I did it last time because Tiffany was out of town and the smell of the stain didn't bother me - but it would probably kill her.

I hope to have it done sometime in the next few months.

Always thought it would be a good idea to stick some of the best builds, so when new people find the site they're immediately exposed to the builds that have essentially paved the way for other builds.

Problem is, someone's feelings would get hurt and it would be downhill from there :roll:

Yo Russ,

Hydroturf has had a year of use. What are your thoughts on it? I keep asking, because I still can't decide what I want.

Brine said:
Yo Russ,

Hydroturf has had a year of use. What are your thoughts on it? I keep asking, because I still can't decide what I want.

Love every minute of it... only bad thing about it though - it's slick as crap first thing in the morning if it's got some frost on it. It's not the most comfortable stuff on bare feet either. But I fixed that by putting this cloth tape that came with my Summit climbing stand for deer hunting. I never put it on the stand, but it sure does feel good on bare feet in the middle of the summer... that hydroturf can get a little warm. Good thing is I can just splash water on it where I'm standing and cool my feet off. Best thing I found to do though was put those Frogg Togg hydro cool towels down and stand on them if I fish barefoot.

I assume I need new Hubs and Bearing Buddies, what type of details do I need to be able to specify when shopping?
My boat and trailer have been sitting outside in the Texas elements for about 3 years now.

I've got a 1999 ShoreLandr trailer with a 14 ft Weldcraft boat on it, 5 lugs on the wheels...and that's about all I know!

Thanks,

Brandon

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 2,035