Yesterdays trip with dad

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
We took the 14' Jon out for it's maiden voyage. It did great, and the #30 Minn-Kota pushed it along with ease :wink: The only thing I didn't care for were the cheap plastic seats in it, but it's for sale, someone else can replace them.

I'd previously made mention of my dad, and the fact that he's 85 & basically strapped taking care of his wife, even though she has adult kids nearby. It's hard for him to get out & do anything he enjoys because evidently it's a problem for her kids to help-out with their own mother. I better leave that topic, because it rather irks me :roll:

Anyway, we got to the water right before sunrise, here's where we went https://www.bbrcd.org/index.html it's only about a 30 minute drive, and it's a nice little lake that's always produced enough bluegill for a meal. I've fished it several times, and have a couple favorite spots. Dad's fished it with me a couple times too. Thankfully the 30% chance of rain was incorrect (lol, go figure) so we didn't have to put on the rain gear I brought "just in case".

Long story short, we were on the water from about 6 to 6, and caught a total of about 15 keepers, and about the same number of dinks. We got off the water & dad stowed the gear while I cleaned the fish at the cleaning station. We had a good time, and I know he enjoyed fishing, but I was alittle disapointed with the catch.

What bothered me was seeing the man who taught me to fish, baited hooks, untangled snags, and removed fish for 5 kids (while we were too young to fend for ourselves) having difficulty doing what he's loved to do all his life. It's hard to see someone you've admired (and I still do) for his skills, be it fishing or building/fixing things, have problems with the simplest things. His casting wasn't as smooth as it used to be, and he had to bring a large magnifying glass to see to re-tie his rods, he'd rigged his slip-bobber without remembering to put on the bobber-stop 1st.....fortunately he didn't seem offended by my help. I don't know if he's just getting forgetful because of his age, or the stress of everything he has to do causes it.

This is what ticks me off about his wife's kids....I'd love to get him out on the water more, ALOT more, and he likes to golf, usually 1 day a week with his senior buddies....but he won't listen to me about telling her kids that he needs help with her. Now he's battling high blood-pressure, and the Dr told him it's due to stress (EXACT same thing I told him prior)...and every time he golfs, or works in the garden, or when we got home from fishing....his BP is down. We all (us kids) like her, she's a great lady & I'm glad they found each-other, but she belongs in a nursing home. She spent a month in one after a night I had to call an ambulance for her....don't know why they ever let her out (but I have a feeling it was her kids....not wanting their inheritance spent on a nursing home, when dad will do it free). I don't think much of them (in case you couldn't tell....one of them is even a retired nurse :evil: )

I'm afraid that he's going to let the things he's forced to deal with send him to his grave....and I don't want that to happen any sooner than he has to. He's always had pretty good health, and most would guess him at least 10 years younger than he is....until the last 3-4 years, he's aged 10 years in that amount of time.

I'm kind of ranting a bit here.....but for those who are fortunate enough as I am, who still have living parents (mom passed away in '95)....spend time fishing with them, or just visiting them....they won't be around forever. :(

I love my dad!

ST

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with your dad's current situation, but I bet it was great getting to spend time with him on the water. I am sure it made his day. I have not fished with my dad for atleast 5 years, most likely more. I hope things start looking up, stress is extremely hard on people.

I see dad every day....we haven't been able to fish for awhile, so I'm glad we got to regardless if we didn't slay 'em. Yeah, it's pretty frustrating when you see someone with POS kids who don't care enough about them to help-out.....and it's worse when it causes stress on someone else.

It will come to the point where I will say something to them, I'm not the most diplomatic person (don't buy into "sugar-coating" things) but they'll get my point & help-out, or I'll do everything I can (my sister agrees) to have dad put her back into the nursing home. I'll wait until fall, since they winter in Florida & he's already under the impression she won't be able to make the trip.

It's too bad, and like I said, she's a nice lady. With Alzheimers & a very bad back, she can barely walk and her memory is so bad it's nearly impossible to carry on a conversation with her.

I'll be glad when the hot weather breaks to take dad out again, and hopefully the fish will be a little more cooperative :wink:

ST