YJs 1236 Semi V Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of using stencils (IMO sending something is way easier than removing Lettering glue) Did you just print them on reg paper ? What kind of glue did you use for the stencils ? I have to wait to make sure my paint is cured before I put anything on it :D

Boat is looking good!

Coersum said:
I like the idea of using stencils (IMO sending something is way easier than removing Lettering glue) Did you just print them on reg paper ? What kind of glue did you use for the stencils ? I have to wait to make sure my paint is cured before I put anything on it :D

Boat is looking good!
I agree on the sanding.. I printed them out on my printer on regular printer paper in 3 parts. Had to to make them the legal size of 3" high. Did the first two letters, GA on first page, then the 4 digit number on the second page and the last to letters on the 3rd page..
A few years ago I used to do a lot of wood work on a scroll saw. I would take my pattered and use a temporary spray adhesive on the back then press the pattered down on the wood. Now all I had to do was follow the lines on the scroll saw.. Here I'll do the same thing sort of. Used a razor blade to cut the printed reg # out of the pages, then spray the backs of each page with the adhesive. Then tape painters paper all the way around it so that no overspray gets on the boat. Then using the paint, just spray on about 4 light coats (so I don't get any runs in it). Once the paint sets for an hour or two just peel off the paper and stencil. You may have to wipe off a little of the adhesive that go left behind but it comes off pretty easy with some paint thinner or something similar on a rag. Let everything cure and you're set.
I'll post pics of mine when I get it done. I'm also planning on doing the same thing with the boat name.

OK, wooot. Ready for the electronics hookups and the deck and floor coverings
A light at the end of the tunnel is showing through. :)
The box with the angled lid is the dashboard/electrical connections and is 9 1/2" x 10"
Question: To wrap the carpet under the deck lids, how much space between the lid and the deck edges should I leave to allow the carpet to to wrap and still be able to completely close???

Attachments

• 20150317_141221_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20150317_141221_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 963
  • 20150317_141324_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20150317_141324_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 963
Hurry up already, I'm getting anxious!

All jokes aside, I love it. Question though, what size plywood is that? is it heavy? My boat that size had a weight cap of around 400 so I'd be nervous to deck that much, but it looks phenomenal!!

derekdiruz1 said:
Hurry up already, I'm getting anxious!

All jokes aside, I love it. Question though, what size plywood is that? is it heavy? My boat that size had a weight cap of around 400 so I'd be nervous to deck that much, but it looks phenomenal!!
Thank you. It's 1/2" exterior ply. Supported by an aluminum ladder. The decks are easy enough to take out if the need should arise but no matter what, the floor is staying :)
As is the Battery box and the Dashboard.. I also have plans of trying out a pair of pontoons made from 6" PVC for extra flotation and stability. Just got to figure out how I"m going to mount them and keep them easily removable. hehehe no telling what I'll come up with. A lot of this is playing and learning from it all.

Easily removable is the trick. I saw someone on here had a...we'll go with less than aesthetically pleasing...I've seen them installed using U bolts, but if you don't seal the holes thru the side you'll end up taking on water, which makes them permanent - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

LOL.. not here.. 3 or 4 screws and the deck come right out. Well, maybe closer to 10 screws. Aft deck 7 screws,
bow deck 4 screws..
I've also got my plan laid out for the pontoons. Now if I can just find a good artist to paint them for me.
A friend of mine gave me a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet about 4 months ago, shortly before he had a stroke and died. Same friend that let me use his welder when I built my trailer. I got to tinkering around with it today just to see what it might look like. Real shame there isn't enough of it to do the boat with cause I'm kinda liking it.
Here's a shot I took today with it just laid out.

Attachments

• 20150318_164720_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20150318_164720_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 939
The pods appear better suited mounted high for stability when you need it than mounted low for flotation from what I saw watching you-tube last night. If you set them so they're below the water line they spray like hell when you're on your gas motor and get you totally drenched wherever you go - maybe that'll work to your advantage down in GA getting a little cool-down without a Gator taking your hand...up here in CT that's a good way to get hypothermia during half the open water season!

Yep.. Once I'm able to see just where the displacement is with the weight of the Plywood I'll know more of where to just place the tubes at. I would like some of both, stabilization and flotation. But only tinkering with it will tell me where that is after finding the displacement. I'm thinking with the boat sitting still, with the pontoons about 2" into the water might get me there. Guess I'm going to have to wait to find out if I can even get them that far down. Hoping to raise the boat up a bit.

Here's another update: Got the Floor carpet cut in and part of the Aft Deck Carpet. Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish cutting in the Aft deck and start of the Bow deck..

Any comments on the two different colors of carpet being used? I would have like to use what's on the floor for the entire boat but there just wasn't enough to make the stretch. Currently having to use whats been given to me. They are not glued down as yet and the Hatches aren't cut out yet.

Also wondering your thoughts. What do you think? Should I do the Electrical Box/Dash Panel and the Battery box in the darker carpet or also do them in the Tan/Brown Carpet? I'm kind of at a toss up between the two.

Attachments

• 20150320_164811_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20150320_164811_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 909
  • 20150320_140940_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20150320_140940_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 909
  • 20150320_140908_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20150320_140908_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 909
I recon it's time for an update.
Pulled it out into the sunshine today and had to stand back and take a good look at what I have so far vs what I started with. WOW
Got the carpet all in and finished today but thinking I may redo the front deck. I had to piece meal the carpet using some smaller scraps. After all was said and done I found another piece that's nearly large enough to do the entire front deck. So I may redo it with that one.
Been really tight on the $$$ so I ended up stapling it all down rather than gluing it. Staple gun and staples I had. Glue I couldn't afford at this time.
I got the fuse block in and made a common ground bus. Got the Battery all hooked up to the wiring that I put in a couple weeks ago. Got all the wiring all connected to the fuse block and the bus bar, nav lights all connected and working, bilge pump connected and working but still need to add the plumbing for it, and the tiny tack wired in and ready.
I still need to add the switches, seat pedestals and seats, Hatch pulls and a section of aluminum channel across the top of the transom. Started fabricating a way of holding the paddle to the side of the hull today also.
I need to do a little paint touch up here and there and a bunch of the little stuff to do but that light at the end of the tunnel has gotten really big and bright :shock:
Here are a few pics up to today.

Attachments

• 20150329_135855.jpg
    20150329_135855.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 20150329_140017.jpg
    20150329_140017.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 20150329_140141.jpg
    20150329_140141.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 20150328_161307_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20150328_161307_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 20150328_160425.jpg
    20150328_160425.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 20150328_160523.jpg
    20150328_160523.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 20150328_174437_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20150328_174437_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 20150329_130059.jpg
    20150329_130059.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,296
All dang day I was on tinboats.net checking to see if you updated your build. Thank you, Yj, for now im satiated.

Anywho, it looks phenomenal. Take her on the water!

derekdiruz said:
All dang day I was on tinboats.net checking to see if you updated your build. Thank you, Yj, for now im satiated.

Anywho, it looks phenomenal. Take her on the water!
Thank you..
I still got to register the trailer first but I have thought about sneaking it to a nearby local lake. Still got to get the boat reg numbers on her too and a couple fishin' chairs.. wooot
LOL though I could just sit on the battery box

Wow.. I've been following your build from the beginning and have to say you've done an amazing job so far. :beer:
Looks awesome man. Congrats on the workmanship.

canadian omc said:
Wow.. I've been following your build from the beginning and have to say you've done an amazing job so far. :beer:
Looks awesome man. Congrats on the workmanship.
Thank you so much, Canadian omc. I got to say it's been, so far, 1 hell of a learning experience that I'm sure will come in handy on my next one....
Gonna try to find me a 14 or 16 ft. flat bottom.

Hey after you put the deck in how well did your boat perform? I have one similar its a 1970 Sears and looks exactly like yours. I want to put a deck in but the boat already is very tippy.

Drake said:
Hey after you put the deck in how well did your boat perform? I have one similar its a 1970 Sears and looks exactly like yours. I want to put a deck in but the boat already is very tippy.
I'm sorry to say, I haven't found out just yet. I still have to put the seats and switches in and register the trailer. The trailer and all paperwork is ready but don't want to pay a full year registration for just one month so I'm waiting another week or two.
I'll definitely post it hear when I do. I'm so anctious to get her in the water I can't stand it LOL

I got the registration number on her yesterday and picked up one of the seat pedestals and swivels today.
I have a feeling that I"m either going to have to put pontoons on her or take the decks out. Just to much weight. I'll know more about what way I'll go once I can see her sitting in the water.

Attachments

• 20150406_181124_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20150406_181124_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,241
How much weight do you think was added in total with the decks?? My smaller 12 I had like that was pretty load bearing. I feel like especially solo fishing you'll be fine, and with another you just need to be smart and not go on huge lakes lol

Yep. 99% of the time I'll be going solo. Unless you count my taco dog. (he's the one in the lower left corner of the pic in my last post).

YJ,

I'm quite anxious to see the finished product! (probably not as anxious as YOU, though!)

Looking forward to some full photo shots of boat and trailer both and meybe some shots in the water as well so we can see how she sits.

Your hard work will soon pay off. =D> =D> =D>