yuns eat deer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first met my wife and we were still dating I cooked her up some steaks for a deer I killed that year. She said they had that gamey taste :(

So I started tinkering with some different recipe's.

One that she really liked was to take some backstrap or hindquarter and cut into medallions about 1/2 inch thick. Then get a meat tenderizer (hammer) and place them in a small zip top bag. Then beat the heck out of them to make them flat and thin. The bag is only to keep the meat from getting stuck in the meat tenderizer. Take the flattened out meat and place them in italian dressing and marinade over night. Then dredge in flour with salt and pepper and I usually add a seasoned salt and fry in oil in a pan. My wife and kids live this and they never complained about the taste.

I add ground venison in everything that we eat. Taco's, spagetti, cassarol's, everything that we would add ground beef, we make with venison. Hamburgers are great, but since there is no fat they tend to fall through the grill. So here is a secret. Place foil on the grill and place your burgers on the foil. Cook until they turn grey and they will stay together much better. Once they are cooked and stuck together then place them over the fire and they won't break apart as easily.

A crock pot recipe.
Take backstrap and cut into small medallions and then cut into 4. In the crock pot add a can of corn, can of peas, cut some onion, celery, carrots, potatoe, and really anything you might like to try. Add a table spoon or two of worcestshire sauce and a table spoon or two of soy sauce.
Place in the crock pot and cook on low for several hours. Then add the venison and cook for a few more. (you might have to add some water so keep an eye on it.) I cook this at the deer lease and it is great. And the venison is so tender it is amazing.

huntnfool,
Now I'm hungry!

I do the same trick with the ziplock bag when I want to thin out some chicken cutlets. I am a poor excuse for a deer hunter, If I ever harvest one, I will remember this thread.

Heres a good one for you..... Cut the tenderloins into 1" medallions, butterfly them, soak them in worcestershire, and A-1 marinade overnight. Next day, put 1 cut holipino pepper inside, close the butterfly, and wrap 1 piece of backon around that. Put a tooth pick through it to hold the bacon on, put that on the grill, and get ready to eat. Make sure you do both tenderloins that way because you will want plenty of these once you try them.
I hear alot of people say that they can't eat deer because of the gamey taste...... The gamey taste comes from how the deer was handled after it was harvested. Its all in how the meat is processed. Bone dust is a biggie. Silverskin on the deer needs to be removed, or else its almost to tough to eat. Between me, my son, and my 15 year old daughter, we harvest 8 - 10 deer a year, and my wife can cook it in anything we eat. If you eat meat at my table 9 times out of 10 its deer.

Put yourself a little cream cheese and piece of green or red onion with that jalapeño next time you try that. :wink:

Something I really know something about.....
IMPORTANT......marinate over night in a little lemon juice ( takes some of the heavy gaminess taste out of the meat) and SANGRIA! you can even chunk or cube up the meat for kabobs marinate in the sangria!
Season with crushed red peppers, minced garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, and a pack of onion soup mix you can season this as I just described cook VERY SLOW( like overnight) in a crock pot till it shreds ( adding onion and bell peppers even throwing in a couple of peppers of choice ( I use one or two jalapeno peppers whole or sliced on two) I cook it VERY slow like I said until shredded, then add some Dales Steak seasoning, and I prefer Sweet baby Ray's BBQ sauce and cook on high for a bit longer ( before adding BBQ sauce drain the majority of the natural juice. ( instead of water when first cooking in the crock pot add lemon juice instead of water, about 1/4 cup) then cook till sauce darkens or you just can't stand it anymore ;) I serve it on toasted onion rolls, cheese and peppers personally......... and on a separate note:: left over hog OR venison cooked in this manner freezes very well!! I even use left over meat for home made BBQ venison/hog pizza ( make a simple crust, add pizza or jar spaghetti sauce, add shredded cheese, then spread on BBQ meat evenly and as heavy or as light as you like, and what other toppings you like.. take a FRESH mozzarella ball or two (depending on how much cheese you like) and crumble it over the top bake at 400 until done ( I add mushrooms, peppers, and onions...... Sometimes fresh chunks of tomatoes)

Alternative marinate that works great for venison or wild hog
is apple juice OR GUAVA Nectar! ( you can find that in the grocery store in the ethnic food section ) add a dash of liquid smoke . I have smoker and I use the Guava or Sangria most of the time when I am smoking either wild hog or venison.. it makes the meat VERY tender and juicy.... and gives it a slight sweetness that compliments the type of meat..... apple juice is a good marinate on wild turkey as well!
I have a TON of ways to cook most game and some AWESOME fish dishes that are simple but delicious!!. if you have any questions please feel free to ask... if you have any ideas please feel free to share them as well......
Let me know if anyone tries any of these methods..... I would like to know what you think!!

dearl said:
Heres a good one for you..... Cut the tenderloins into 1" medallions, butterfly them, soak them in worcestershire, and A-1 marinade overnight. Next day, put 1 cut holipino pepper inside, close the butterfly, and wrap 1 piece of backon around that. Put a tooth pick through it to hold the bacon on, put that on the grill, and get ready to eat. Make sure you do both tenderloins that way because you will want plenty of these once you try them.
I hear alot of people say that they can't eat deer because of the gamey taste...... The gamey taste comes from how the deer was handled after it was harvested. Its all in how the meat is processed. Bone dust is a biggie. Silverskin on the deer needs to be removed, or else its almost to tough to eat. Between me, my son, and my 15 year old daughter, we harvest 8 - 10 deer a year, and my wife can cook it in anything we eat. If you eat meat at my table 9 times out of 10 its deer.

I will have to try this sounds good!! same at our table, if it is meat on our table it is something we have caught or killed!....

that sounds amazing.

now yall got me depressed thinking about how the neighbors dogs are all fat and stuffed with my deer meet.... :oops:

OK I give up!!!...... I FINALLY got the time to do a little hunting .... so I thought, I had rain and COLD (for a Florida girl) my entire visit with Daddy... YIPPIE I got a good afternoon to hit the ole stand!...in the mid 20's about 3pm-ish; on the day I DID get to my stand, I see a nice rack, wasn't exactly sure how many points... but was out of range so I am waiting as it took it's sweet time making it's way toward me... then out of NOWHERE ( Buck still a bit out of range) here comes some IDIOT walking past my stand!! ](*,) not just walking mind you, this man was singing and whistling Like he was trying to be heard over a NASCAR Race with him standing infield!! AND dressed head to toe in orange, Nextel beeping all to high heck!!! I WAS LIVID!! You never saw a lil fat girl slide fireman style down a deer stand so fast in your life!! LOL
After "AH-HEM" GENTLY approaching him :twisted: , he CLAIMED he was looking for his dog, which he was MILES out of dog hunt area!
I am a gentle and easy going soul.... but guys, I Swear to God, I never wanted to beat a man to death with the butt of my rifle so bad as I did this smug ... ummmm Gentleman as I ever have in my life!! I guess I am pretty much over it, but then again NOT..... I still have time, so MAYBE I can at least get a hog or something... or perhaps an orange coated snowbird.... hee hee

I Hope all had a Great Christmas and to all, a Blessed and prosperous New year

PS bright side the spec was a poppin' :mrgreen:

Popeye said:
Maybe he was one of them thar tree hugger PITA people

IDK. but i was thinking about it after I posted and it is like just over 200 yards to the GA line where my stand sits... like 7 miles drive then a good walk from dog country... all I have to say is after our conversation he can go hug a bunny somewhere other than where MY stand is..... lol

FloridaBassGirl said:
OK I give up!!!...... I FINALLY got the time to do a little hunting .... so I thought, I had rain and COLD (for a Florida girl) my entire visit with Daddy... YIPPIE I got a good afternoon to hit the ole stand!...in the mid 20's about 3pm-ish; on the day I DID get to my stand, I see a nice rack, wasn't exactly sure how many points... but was out of range so I am waiting as it took it's sweet time making it's way toward me... then out of NOWHERE ( Buck still a bit out of range) here comes some IDIOT walking past my stand!! ](*,) not just walking mind you, this man was singing and whistling Like he was trying to be heard over a NASCAR Race with him standing infield!! AND dressed head to toe in orange, Nextel beeping all to high heck!!! I WAS LIVID!! You never saw a lil fat girl slide fireman style down a deer stand so fast in your life!! LOL
After "AH-HEM" GENTLY approaching him :twisted: , he CLAIMED he was looking for his dog, which he was MILES out of dog hunt area!
I am a gentle and easy going soul.... but guys, I Swear to God, I never wanted to beat a man to death with the butt of my rifle so bad as I did this smug ... ummmm Gentleman as I ever have in my life!! I guess I am pretty much over it, but then again NOT..... I still have time, so MAYBE I can at least get a hog or something... or perhaps an orange coated snowbird.... hee hee

I Hope all had a Great Christmas and to all, a Blessed and prosperous New year

PS bright side the spec was a poppin' :mrgreen:
the man was probably looking for his dog my dogss have run a deer 20 miles from where they jumped it