14' Crestliner Viking refresh

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well taking all of the paint off this hull turned out to be a pita. The stripper had a hard time getting all of the old paint off, I don't know if it was because it probably had lead in it or what, but it was on there. the first couple layers of paint came off quick, but the last layer was an aluminum color, and was hard as a rock. Here's the finished pictures of my Steelflex application. I tried to put the Steelflex on pretty thick, I used about 3/4 of a gallon. I think it turned out pretty good.

Naw...you don't have a problem, no sir.

LOTSA folks take a break from their boat restoration by buying another boat and working on IT.

Jeez. #-o #-o =D> #-o #-o

Beautiful job on the Crestliner paint. Really a nice clean look.

Well done.

Man, I wish I saw your build earlier, there is a place in Ottawa ks that will blast and powder coat your trailer for cheap. Prob around $200.

rml powder coating.

Thanks guys, old boat is now for sale. The wife okayed the second boat, and two days later yelled at me for buying it... #-o. Tonight I'm hoping to get some wood cut for the decks, I'm still not sure how I will attach the wood to the framing, but I'll figure something out. More to come, I'm hoping to finish up by the end of the month.

I was looking at your wiring, isn't it common practice to put your fuse before the switch off the battery? Figuring in case your switch was to short it would protect your system.

Yeah, I'm new to this whole wiring thing. That may be something I'll have to look into when I get to that step.

Watching your build with interest!
I also have a Viking 1957 i will be fixing up soon and posting a thread on.

Attachments

• IMG_20140721_203707_670.jpg
    IMG_20140721_203707_670.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,146
Thanks guys, Patin, I'm looking forward to seeing your build. Seems to me as though there just arnt very many crestliners out there. The difference in the quality of the construction of this boat compaired to others of the same era is night and day if you ask me. Little things like the quality of the seems, amount of ribbing/rivits, and attention to detail compaired to the richline I had make the crestliner a more solid platform to start from. The 1958 viking was made to hold up to a 60hp motor. I feel pretty lucky to find this one in such good shape. That 57' will make you a solid boat for years to come for sure. As for the deck support, I always overbuild. I was even being modest in my building of the framing. I'm not sure of the actual weight, but It took myself and my neighbor to lift the richline from the ground to its trailer, and we picked up and flipped the viking, and the viking felt like it was lighter than the richline, even after all the aluminum was added. Sorry for the run on sentence, my english teacher would be pissed... [-X

Patin,
Thats cool!!! I too work at the airport, and I used to wrench on CH-53's in the military.

Heres my oar storage, and foam/floor install...

I also got a great deal on an old lund with a new, too big trailer to swap. The old gator trailer is straining now that i added all this weight. The new trailer is a 2005 and once i do a little rearranging will fit the crestliner great!

great job !! VERY PROFESSIONAL looking !! and Thank You for your service !! :USA1:
This should be a tutorial for all those asking questions about working
with aluminum angle to fabricate floors and decks.
Is it all rivets or did you do any welding ?????

in 1985, I was cleaning out my garage of old junk (due to divorce) and I found
these two old "GATOR" Baby Moon" hub caps . . . the chrome was flaking off
so I tossed them in the trash. #-o ](*,) #-o . yeah, bad move.

here is what the Gator hubcaps look like - - - they sold on ebay for $60.
Just in case you don't have any or would like to invest in a pair.
gator hubcaps.png

Barefoot_Johnny said:
great job !! VERY PROFESSIONAL looking !! and Thank You for your service !! :USA1:
This should be a tutorial for all those asking questions about working
with aluminum angle to fabricate floors and decks.
Is it all rivets or did you do any welding ?????

in 1985, I was cleaning out my garage of old junk (due to divorce) and I found
these two old "GATOR" Baby Moon" hub caps . . . the chrome was flaking off
so I tossed them in the trash. #-o ](*,) #-o . yeah, bad move.

here is what the Gator hubcaps look like - - - they sold on ebay for $60.
Just in case you don't have any or would like to invest in a pair.

Thanks Johnny, I used pop rivets mostly. I bucked a few on the main supports that are secured to the hull, and the transom has been welded, and sandwiched in. I've always been interested in fabrication, but this is my first experience with something like this. I sure learned a lot, and would do a few things a little different on my next build. I love the looks of the Gator trailer, but its just too small for the boat now that I have added all this material. Since I've redone the gator trailer, ill keep it and use it for my 12 foot lund. I see your a Seabee, I've worked with a few Seabee's on the Kearsarge a few years back. How long were you in for?