14' Crestliner Viking refresh

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aaahhhhhh when you mention the USS Kearsarge to anyone, they ask, WHICH ONE ??? LOL
This one definitely reflects your age bracket.
Sailing Sloop - 1800s
Battle Ship - WWII
Aircraft Carrier - Korea
or the Amphibious Assault Ship 1990s - present

I was in the Navy for 21 years. Which encompassed a multitude of collateral duties.
one tour was with NMCB One and another tour with NMCB Forty. Builder, Construction and Equipment Operator.
Retired in 1987.
LOL oh yea, I almost forgot . . . 3 years with the USMC Auxiliary Security Force Co. 1977-1980 in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

I guess that is why, like yourself, I enjoy repairing/building stuff. I have been in and around it for the majority
of my adult life.
My Crestliner is a 1959 model that is still as it came from the factory, minus the bench seats.
Did not "build" anything into it. Awesome boat to work with !!!

awesome build !!! LOL yea, your next builds will be a piece of cake !!!

my heart goes out to the families of the U.S. Marines that are on the missing
USMC helicopter in Nepal. One of the young men is from my area. (Orlando).

...on the subject of Naval vessels, my company gave us an outing today, and we visited the Intrepid. What an interesting history. They showed us some movies about when it got hit. Lives were lost, and it was out of commission for a while, but she made it back for the biggest naval battle in history. Made me very sad to think of all that gave their lives, yet proud to be standing on her decks.

The Intrepid was also used for space capsule recoveries. Quite an amazing carrier.

Sorry to break subject, but I thought this may interest a few of the poster's.

Sonny

Goals for this week are to finish the hatches. I'm waiting on more locks to come in, as well as parts to replace the impeller. I also would like to do a full detail, and finish painting. That pretty much wraps up this build. It's been a long two years on this build, but I'm happy with the results. Cant wait to take my dog out fishing.

I noticed on the bottom of the boat the steel flex in some areas is turning brownish in color, does anyone know if this can be cleaned off? If so what should i use? Ive tried hot water, and a sponge.

safetyfast said:
This is one of my favorite builds. What paint and color did you use?
I used grey steel flex on the bottom, and Farm and implement paint for above the water line. I believe it was ford grey, and white. The interior is a primer colored grey. I purchased the paint at Orshlan Farm, its called Vansickle i believe.

safetyfast said:
I have a red belly Ford and that gray is much darker. Whatever it is looks great.
Thanks, its been a lot of long nights, blood, sweat, and a whole lot of surfing tinboats to decide how I wanted to build the boat. My friends all tell me I should go into business...LOL If they had any idea the amount of labor that went into it they wouldn't say such things. [-X :roll: Definitely a labor of love!!!

Tried starting the motor yesterday, and it ran for a couple seconds and then died. Tore it down today and after a good cleaning she purs like a walrus!!! 8)

Barefoot_Johnny said:
aaahhhhhh when you mention the USS Kearsarge to anyone, they ask, WHICH ONE ??? LOL
This one definitely reflects your age bracket.
Sailing Sloop - 1800s
Battle Ship - WWII
Aircraft Carrier - Korea
or the Amphibious Assault Ship 1990s - present

I was in the Navy for 21 years. Which encompassed a multitude of collateral duties.
one tour was with NMCB One and another tour with NMCB Forty. Builder, Construction and Equipment Operator.
Retired in 1987.
LOL oh yea, I almost forgot . . . 3 years with the USMC Auxiliary Security Force Co. 1977-1980 in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

I guess that is why, like yourself, I enjoy repairing/building stuff. I have been in and around it for the majority
of my adult life.
My Crestliner is a 1959 model that is still as it came from the factory, minus the bench seats.
Did not "build" anything into it. Awesome boat to work with !!!

awesome build !!! LOL yea, your next builds will be a piece of cake !!!

my heart goes out to the families of the U.S. Marines that are on the missing
USMC helicopter in Nepal. One of the young men is from my area. (Orlando).

I was on kearsarge in 2005 26th MEU as a Marine. Been a long time since I seen that name anywhere.