1987 Bass Tracker MV-16 Remodel. First project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got the boat back, and We got the ribs welded that were cracked and the floor joyces of that were basically angle aluminum were welded also. The welder also gave us a price on Aluminum Diamond plate, It came out to 2 grand. Me and my dad thought, yeah no. Since my dad is a carpet installer, We're going to make it out of wood and carpet it, with some top of the line Outdoor carpet from the store my dad subcontracts for. So yesterday, we went to lowes, and got plywood, Thompson's water seal. A sheet of Lowes Styrofoam, two heavy duty pieces of plastic. Max Duty roll of duct tape and a couple 2 x 3s.

Pictures will come soon. We're soon going to water seal the plywood, but work won't start right now, because I've been sick for the past 4 days and it doesn't look like its letting up. We gotta get this done quick because Fishing in the southern counties of pennsylvania started today, and in two weeks its good everywhere else, so I'm ready to get this show under way.

Here's some pictures of the welds:
IMAG0551.jpg

IMAG0553.jpg

IMAG0554.jpg

IMAG0555.jpg

We went to Lowes yesterday and picked up a few things to get started. We still have some things to get though. But here's what we have so far.
IMAG0556.jpg

Lowes one inch thick exterior styrofoam, I don't know if it's water proof, or even water resistant, gonna cut a piece off and put it in a glass of water for a couple days.
We are going to cut pieces for in between the floor joists, we are then going to wrap the styrofoam in the plastic that you can see in the first picture and duct tape one side, and face the side that is taped, up towards the Floor. That way it stays dry. We went to a marine and the guy there told us to do it that way.
IMAG0557.jpg

half inch thick plywood. Will be used as front deck and will be used to make the box in the back.
IMAG0559.jpg

Couple 2 x 3s for support and framing.

Now, There is styrofoam in the front of my boat, and I'm wondering if this is from factory, or someone put it in them selves, because, the one side, it looks like it was done pretty poorly. Also I think on the bottom of it has water in it, cause I saw water dripping out yesterday. Here are some pictures, tell me what you think.
IMAG0560.jpg

This is the other side that looks decent.
IMAG0561.jpg

I now have a question about my transom
IMAG0562.jpg

Is this something I should worry about or is it alright? If you are standing in the boat facing towards the back, facing the engine, that spot is on the right side right by the end of wood. I think it was caused by a air hole or wire hole in the metal above it. I'm wondering if I should worry about this? Where my engine is in the wood, its strong there. But on the side its soft.
Here's the access hole:
IMAG0563.jpg

Here's where the motor is attached, its strong in this portion
IMAG0564.jpg

And heres the left side of the transom, this side looks okay, but some mold on it.
IMAG0567.jpg

If you guys have any suggestions or if I'm doing something wrong please let me know, I'd really appreciate it!

Hmm, if it were me and I was planning on keeping the boat for a long period of time, I'd replace the whole transom so I didn't have to worry about it. Even if its strong towards the center, if you are going to keep it for a while that rot will most likely spread and jeopardise the strength of the whole transom. Then again, if you aren't planning on keeping it for a long time, then it's probably not that bad.
Just my thoughts

How would you go about doing it, I think I see how to take apart the transom, for this big of a boat, and that big of an engine, would you do it or yourself or would you have a marine do it? And if you were doing it yourself, how would you like move the engine since the weight and what not?

Check out my build for some info on replacing the transom.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14064

There is no question that yours needs replaced; even if you're going to sell it in a year or two, most buyers will notice and make an issue out of it. As far as the motor goes, some guys build a hoist out of 2x4's and a come along, but I think it would be easier to just rent a cherry picker and lift the motor off...as long as it raises high enough to get above the motor.

Matt

I was going to recommend looking at BYOB's project, He did a great job showing how he replaced the transom and from what I can tell it would be about the same for your boat. As for dealing with the motor, building a stand for it out of wood is always a good option. If you made a stand for it, you could hang it off the rafters in your garage while you un-mount it from the boat and mount it to the stand. On other occasions I have seen people using the fold-able shop cranes from harbor freight.
Again, a lot of these methods have been documented very well on this site.

BYOB Fishing said:
Check out my build for some info on replacing the transom.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14064

There is no question that yours needs replaced; even if you're going to sell it in a year or two, most buyers will notice and make an issue out of it. As far as the motor goes, some guys build a hoist out of 2x4's and a come along, but I think it would be easier to just rent a cherry picker and lift the motor off...as long as it raises high enough to get above the motor.

Matt

Do you think it'd last another season? Because I don't think I'd be able to do that right now if I want to get it out on the water. I don't really have the time and money to do it right now.

Also the beams in my garage are running the wrong way for anything to be hung from it.

By the way we got ply wood in, gonna upload pictures soon.

The foam we put in, I soaked in water for two days, and it didn't absorb a drop, but I put it right back it in, I'm going to leave it for a couple weeks. But if its closed cell foam, then we kind of went overboard, wrapping it in plastic, Aww well, Atleast it will last forever. Atleast the foam won't get mold on it and what not. Here's some pictures of progress we got done.

IMAG0568.jpg

IMAG0569.jpg

IMAG0570.jpg

IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0572.jpg

IMAG0573.jpg

By the way, on the front of the boat, We took the piece of crap anchor system off the front of the boat, you can see it sitting on the left side of the front foam. We're going to get a better anchoring system.
But we got plywood laying in, It's looking good, I can't wait till we attach it. We got carpet picked out, Just got to wait till my dad heads back up to work, to tell the store manager what to order in. We're getting a nice grey outdoor carpet. Not marine carpet.
IMAG0574.jpg

And I got some pool noodles which weren't enough by far. This many only half way filled the box they're leaning up against, We're going to go to the Dollar Store again and pick up some more.
IMAG0575.jpg

If you have any suggestions, concerns or questions please let me know.

Updates:
Pop riveted the piece of metal that the gas tank, and two batteries sit on back in to place. Screwed down the floor after putting a second coat of Thompson's water seal on the bottom of it. Cut a piece for the front deck and water sealed it. Cut down 2 x 3s in to 1 1/2 x 1 1/2s. Here's the pics.

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0577.jpg

Water sealing the pieces, even out in the sun it look a little while to dry.
IMAG0578.jpg

Bottom deck screwed down, while we loosely fit the piece for the front deck in place. We also water sealed the top side of it.
IMAG0579.jpg

IMAG0580.jpg

Oh yeah, By the way, I didn't post this up yet, but look at the mess of wires I'd have to go through if I ever wanted to wire or rewire something or even do something electrical. This cop who owned the boat before hand should of stuck to enforcing the law, He has every thing jerry-rigged, splices every where with Electrical tape.
IMAG0581.jpg

Well we've been making the elevated box for storage in the back. We elevated it an inch from the piece of plywood that is the floor. The box, will be for storage and also to support the rear deck. Right now, its really strong how we rigged it. Here's pics.
IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0593.jpg

IMAG0596.jpg

We also placed small pieces of Angle aluminum under the box for support and we also used that to measure and make it even with the boat.

Well, We've created the box on the back, and we've recieved our outdoor carpet. Today, my dad was installing the carpet on the boat, while I was out fishing. Pics are going to be below as well.

IMAG0623.jpg

Carpet.
IMAG0626.jpg

Texture of the Outdoor carpet
IMAG0627.jpg

Brackets that help support the seat on the back platform
IMAG0633.jpg

Carpet installed on the floor.
IMAG0636.jpg

While my dad was installing carpet on my boat, I was out fishing. Here's my catch.
IMAG0638.jpg

Progress that was made, when I got home.
IMAG0641.jpg

And another shot.
IMAG0643.jpg

We've got more carpeting done today. Right now the pieces for the back platform are setting up, we're letting it stick over night so we got good adhesion to both surfaces, so then we can contact cement the carpet around the edges. We also, will be putting the trolling motor back on soon before we fasten the front deck. Pictures will come tomorrow.

Mostly everything is carpeted. We have little things to do. The back deck is all completed, Hatches are installed, except we don't have any idea on hatch handles. Anyone have any suggestion? I'll post up pictures of what I'm dealing with here. I'm also in a stand still of the front most triangular part of the boat. There's a black decal there, that is all cracked up. We're debating on whether or not to get another sign made by a sign shop or something like that or do something else. Anyone have any ideas on this as well? We put together a box in the back, we made it watertight, with Silicon cawk. Hell, If I wanted too, I could probably make it a livewell, because we thompson water sealed the plywood a couple times. It probably wouldn't last, but theres some scrap carpet from our living room, which is a smartstrand frizai, I'm planning on installing it inside the box. I'd staple the sides and probably just lay a piece on the bottom, in the case if it ever gets wet that I can take it out and let it dry out. But that won't happen because this will be covered, and most likely garaged.

This is when we were gluing the carpet on to the hatch panels for the back deck. Left them drive over night.
IMAG0645.jpg

Loose laying the carpeted hatches where they would go.
IMAG0652.jpg

Installing the hinges on the back hatch.
IMAG0654.jpg

Almost all the hatches installed. The back deck is coming along nicely.
IMAG0658.jpg

Went to the local Marine, and bought some boating accessories, and installed some rod holders I bought.
IMAG0659.jpg

Back deck all carpeted and attached correctly. Hatches need to be broke in, they're a little stiff, just need to hatch handles for them.
IMAG0660.jpg

Livewells are carpeted, gotta wait for the glue to dry to overlap fold them over.
IMAG0661.jpg

Front part in front of the front deck carpeted, We placed a piece of Tap-down without teeth on the front. My dad knew what this was, because he is a carpet installer, you can probably find it at your local Lowe's. Right now its not folded down all the way, we're waiting for the glue to dry. When we pound it down I'll take a picture of it.
IMAG0662.jpg

IMAG0663.jpg

I have a question, there is a decal on the front of my boat that is all crack and looks plainly like crap. I'm wanting to replace it, where do you think I should go to get or have someone make something like this for me?
IMAG0664.jpg

Front view of the carpeted boat.
IMAG0665.jpg

I'm planning on carpeting the inside of the box with some excess carpet left over from our Living room, when my dad carpeted it. Its smartstrand frizai. Here's some pictures.
IMAG0666.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

And, my backup oars, I found a better place for them then the previous owner who had this boat, had them. He had them in the rod storage hole, along with the nets. Well I'm actuall going to put that rod hole to use. So, I found a better spot, I just need to tie them down somehow.
IMAG0668.jpg

I have a quick question, I got thinking, I never seen another boat like the one I have, I googled it didn't find that many. I just wanted to know if any of yall saw a Bass Tracker MV-16 before. I think the only years they made it were 86 and 87 maybe 88. I don't know really. But have any of yall seen one around, on the first the back deck is added so it'd be flat in the back.

Also we've been progressing so, Pictures are coming.

We've got alot of work done, these past couple of days, Strengthened up the back hatches, carpeted the storage box, raised the console, put the trolling motor back on. Finishing carpeting mostly everything. Here's some pictures

Pounded down the piece of tap down metal on the front.
IMAG0670.jpg

Installed some carpet in the storage box.
IMAG0672.jpg

Cut out the holes in the front deck.
IMAG0679.jpg

Installed the driver seat.
IMAG0681.jpg

Looks like my dog is ready to go for a boat ride before the boat is even done.
IMAG0685.jpg

They're both ready to go.
IMAG0689.jpg

Raising the console.
IMAG0690.jpg

IMAG0691.jpg

IMAG0692.jpg

Finished product.
IMAG0693.jpg

IMAG0694.jpg

IMAG0695.jpg

Any one have any questions, comments, concerns?