1987 Bass Tracker MV-16 Remodel. First project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We attached the front seat mount, right now its at the boat mechanic to get the engine serviced and have some parts ordered in.
IMAG0703.jpg

Has anyone like been looking at my build? I haven't had someone post on it for a while, is it still viewable for everyone? Because no one has posted in a couple months except me.

Kochy said:
Has anyone like been looking at my build? I haven't had someone post on it for a while, is it still viewable for everyone? Because no one has posted in a couple months except me.

It is viewable. Lots of stalkers here on TBoats. Get a lot of views sometimes with not many posts. It's coming along nicely, looks like you've got good help too.

When do you figure it will be completed?

I have been watching too, your making lots of progress, sometimes you just have to sit back and watch, that is how I learn. Some people learn by reading...I am one that was taught long ago to shut up, watch what I am doing, ask questions if I do not understand. You mod is just a perfect example...I watch, I learn, I understand.....great job.

Its pretty much done, the engine is being serviced at a marine so. My dad is a carpet installer so he knows what he's doing with woodwork and carpet. All I gotta do now is load it up with supplies and add little things.

Took it out yesterday morning with my dads friend. He got about 4 good size smallmouths, foul hooked a walleye, and I didn't catch nothing until we were about to head out, we fished bridge pilons and my dads friend hooked on to a fish and I was watching him reeling it in, and all of a sudden on my rod it just hits me "BOOM!!" I hooked on to a big one reeled it in, weighed it, it was a 4 pound Smallmouth Bass! Only fish of the day, and first fish that I caught on my boat. I got a picture I'll post it up soon.

Nice build and great pics.
I picked up an 86 MV16 last week end. It's definitely a fixer upper but most any 26 year old boat will be.
I finished tearing out all the floor last night, note to anyone running into rusted and stripped screw, a cut off wheel is your best friend. Strip the carpet up, use the cut off wheel to cut off the heads, lift the wood right out.

I'm head to get all my build supplies this week end but have to get some of the joist welded as well.
First.

The foam in the bow is factory. There should have been foam in the rear left and right sides as well but looks like it had been removed (at least mine has it there but I am going to remove it and make it storage.

As for the top of the bow, I bought a piece of 2x4 diamond plate and will cut to shape and rivet it in place....should work and look good.

Yours came out real nice...thanks for the pics!

Oh wow - I just noticed something strange.
My MV16 is an 86, yours an 87.

I was going back through this thread and I noticed you can see wood in your transom on the sides.
My boat is now 100% gutted, foam and all and i noticed my transom is completely encased in aluminum, Side to side, top to bottom.

I just thought it was an odd difference.

Hey your boats looking sweet i finally got mine finished after my pick up problems i had to deal with. i see you opted for plywood instead of diamond plate. I love how mine turned out but it was EXPENSIVE!

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,412
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,412
  • boat 3.jpg
    boat 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,412
Kochy said:

I think what that means is you're doing everything right, and nobody has anything to add. Just sitting back and enjoying the build.

All I'll say is "Good Job".

Matt

Going to be rigging up Lights on the front of it aswell maybe adding a Junkyard Car Speakers and a Radio to listen to some Country music while fishing. Still got to do a lot of work on the trailer, since I go to a vocational school that basically has everything, I'm going to go up there get it welded, take it to collision repair and get it sanded and painted.

I also need some help, Something is wrong with the motor, When I'm out on the water and the boat is turned off. When I start the boat up, It starts and is idling fine, but when I give it gas, easing it up like normal, the engine dies. I found out, if I push the lever forward all the way basically flooring the motor it doesn't die and it goes like a charm. The only thing is when I give it gas easing into it.

Any help will be appreciated.

I'm also planning on buying a boat I find at the scrapyard I sell my scrap metal too, I want to actually modify a boat in stead of just "Rip out and Replace.." I could of grabbed a nice looking smokercraft with a center console and trailer that was sitting in their junkyard, but the one day I dropped some metal off, somebody beat me to it and was leaving with it. Oh well I guess.

Scorched said:
Nice build and great pics.
I picked up an 86 MV16 last week end. It's definitely a fixer upper but most any 26 year old boat will be.
I finished tearing out all the floor last night, note to anyone running into rusted and stripped screw, a cut off wheel is your best friend. Strip the carpet up, use the cut off wheel to cut off the heads, lift the wood right out.

I'm head to get all my build supplies this week end but have to get some of the joist welded as well.
First.

The foam in the bow is factory. There should have been foam in the rear left and right sides as well but looks like it had been removed (at least mine has it there but I am going to remove it and make it storage.

As for the top of the bow, I bought a piece of 2x4 diamond plate and will cut to shape and rivet it in place....should work and look good.

Yours came out real nice...thanks for the pics!

Awesome! Did you make your own build thread?

I'm selling this boat because I want to buy a bigger truck then I have now. I will most likely buy a fixer upper boat and start a new project.

If anyone is interested in my boat that is close to my general location in Central Pennsylvania send me an offer if you are interested. It comes with a bunch of extras, I'll edit this post when I get home with a link to the craigslist ad where it explains everything. I'd rather sell it to a Tinboater because you guys showed me everything. And heck you guys can see what all I did to it aswell.

Hey guys, I need some help, I decided not to sell my boat. I want to redo my trailer and I need to take the boat off to do it. I can't put it in the water, because what I fish is the Susquehanna River and in winter that thing has ice chunks the size of a motorcycle. I need some suggestions and Ideas, I can't hang it from the ceiling, cause the ceiling joices are running the wrong way above the garage door open to the back of the garage. My dad was suggesting like a pully type system with 2 by 4s? I saw on Ebay just browsing around for a console, that these guys put ths 25 foot mako on cinder blocks and pulled the trailer out and redid it, my question is how did they lift it. Any help would be really appreciated, I gotta get my bunks carpeted before next season anyway so I don't spring a leak.

Hey Kocky, look at jonboatjerrys mod. He made an A-frame that I am sure would work if you duplicated it. I considered buying it from him but my boat is small enough that I just hung from the joist in my garage.

Get a bunch of your friends and lift it off the old fashioned way, then support it buy using 2x6 and concrete blocks. Make sure you have a case of beer for their efforts.

Latest posts