Bufford's 12 foot modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bufford, awesome work. As you know, i'm following your thread. Can you tell me what the steel flex is used for?

WaltonsMountain said:
Hey Bufford, awesome work. As you know, i'm following your thread. Can you tell me what the steel flex is used for?

SteelFlex is a super slick epoxy that has been used on the bottom of air boats for years. It cuts down resistance, seals up the bottom tight as a drum and protects your boat. The company says "For airboats. Super slick surface is produced in one operation. Not necessary to spray an additional topcoat. Contains Teflon plus additional friction red additives."

Quite a few members here use it. It is highly recommended.

RBuffordTJ said:
WaltonsMountain said:

SteelFlex is a super slick epoxy that has been used on the bottom of air boats for years. It cuts down resistance, seals up the bottom tight as a drum and protects your boat. The company says "For airboats. Super slick surface is produced in one operation. Not necessary to spray an additional topcoat. Contains Teflon plus additional friction red additives."

Quite a few members here use it. It is highly recommended.

Thanks...will definitely have to try it out!

Bufford,
Boat is looking good, like the front deck height. Will be keeping a eye on your thread, want to see pictures of the finished boat....keep up the good work.

Flintcreek

Love it man ! =D>
I like the creativity you had for your front deck, lots of people would have given up on building a deck in such a small tin and maybe just put down a pavement.
Terrific !!!

real nice work there, glad you're getting out and fishing too.
i raised my rear seat the way you did with a 7"pedestal, the bench was just too low to fish from.
mine looks like it would be too high, but it works great.
keep up the good work!

grizzly said:
real nice work there, glad you're getting out and fishing too.
i raised my rear seat the way you did with a 7"pedestal, the bench was just too low to fish from.
mine looks like it would be too high, but it works great.
keep up the good work!

Yeah mine works good at this height. When I turn sideways I put my feet up on the side rail and relax. It is nice.

Nice work Bufford, she will be the envy of your lake!

Your boat bottom looks nice and clean. When I retired my 12 footer it was beat to CRAP!

Look what I found last night on Craig's List!

A galvanized trailer near my home for $300.00.

Yeah, I was hoping to find one cheaper but most were about crap and expensive. I already went to the DMV this morning and got my tag for it. It is almost in perfect condition and is fully adjustable! They guy was using it for a canoe but sold it. The tires are even new!

Trailer1.jpg

Trailer2.jpg

Bufford in Orlando

Well I put on my non skid coating this past weekend. I used a product called Durabak, it is a pretty good product but I would caution anyone who is thinking about using it of the following:

1. You will need more than one gallon if you are coating a boat over 12' long. I have one that size and it was everything I could do to squeeze out two coats, which is required for this stuff.

2. Don't leave too much skin exposed while using it, the stuff burns tender areas like the top of feet, foreheads and so on. #-o

3. I used the textured product and it is VERY texured. You won't slip! If you fall it might hurt though...lol, I will let you know when I accidently field test it.

4. If I had it to do over again I would not coat up the walls, just the decking areas, just a personal opinion.

It looks good and is very hard now, but it stays pliable as to not crack when flexed. Here are the pics!

Durabak.jpg

Uncoated, primed and mid deck installed...
Durabak1.jpg

Durabak2.jpg

First coat...
Durabak3.jpg

Durabak4.jpg

Finish Coat...
Durabak5.jpg

Closer look at the texture...
Durabak6.jpg

It is about $120.00 a gallon (with shipping), so keep that in mind if you are considering using it. They offer many colors and even provide you with the application rollers. Hope the fish think it looks nice!

Bufford in Orlando

Well I have got the seats back in, it loaded on the trailer and I am headed to the lake first thing in the morning! Wish me luck.

Bufford

Nice! That stuff will last a long time on that boat. Good color too I think, hopefully it stays cool on the feet.

Rat said:
Nice! That stuff will last a long time on that boat. Good color too I think, hopefully it stays cool on the feet.
Yeah the color was a good choice, it was very cool on my feet, even after 5 hours in direct Florida sunlight. Lost the pin that levels the outboard as soon as we hit the water :evil: so it was trying to plow. We were out to fish though and didn't have too far to go to not catch anything anyway.

So, one lost necessary item, no fish....but the boat looks and functions good! :) It is pretty stable on the mid and front decks. I bought one of those cooler conversions to make it a live well, and that works great, now I would love to see some fish in it :roll:

Bufford in Orlando

Latest posts