Bufford's 12 foot modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rusmir said:
i think im gonna do the sam e thing to my boat like u did .. nice job

Thanks. I have been very happy with it, no regrets at all. Just spent 4 days fishin' up on the Santa Fe and Suwannee Rivers in High Springs, FL and it was a great time. I love having a boat that moves through the shallows easily and with the walk through decking you can move around as needed.

im sure it nice with plywood. i got aluminum flooring . im just figuring out so it wont bend when i walk .. well ce

That turned out great. Your project is what I've been playing withon paper for my boat. One question how did the durabak look on your wood floor? Did you have to do anything to the wood for prep?

Thanks
Damifinow Fish

damifinowfish said:
That turned out great. Your project is what I've been playing withon paper for my boat. One question how did the durabak look on your wood floor? Did you have to do anything to the wood for prep?

Thanks
Damifinow Fish

The Durabak worked out great on the wood. The only thing I did to it was sand the wood with 80 grit paper. Roll on two coats and you can easily go with the slick finish and still get non skid. I used textured but either is great.

Bufford in Orlando

RBuffordTJ said:
jsharp said:
hey i love your boat i have a few questions for oyu how did you do the suports under the front deck and how tall is the front deck love the idea was thinking of borrowing for my boat but wanted some more info from you on how you did your suports in the front under the deck thanks for your info

Hey J,

The way I did the front was to take a line level on a string, place it on top of the front cross support on the boat floor, where it makes it upswing, then run it straight back to the bench seat to find the level height. Once that was marked on the bench seat I knew where to cut to run the plywood flat forward to rest on that front rib. We cut the seat (pics in first post) and we only had a couple inches, maybe 4 or so max, between the bottom of the deck and the floor, so I put floatation foam down to fill the void completely all the way forward. There are no supports under there but it feels rock solid and then we screwed it down into that front rib brace to hold it on the front, and to the created braces on the cut out seat in the back.

It feels rock solid, no flexinging at all and still allows for drainage down the chanels on the bottom if water comes in from rain or over the sides. With the deck not having much to span in height or length there was no use framing something up, and I am 250+ and it doesn't give at all with me walking or sitting on it. :D

Bufford in Orlando

What kind of foam did you use?

Thanks,

Jason

I used a simple builder's foam board from Home Depot. All your doing is adding something to help it float if it flips or tries to sink and that stuff works fine for that.

Bufford in Orlando

RBuffordTJ said:
I used a simple builder's foam board from Home Depot. All your doing is adding something to help it float if it flips or tries to sink and that stuff works fine for that.

Bufford in Orlando

I'll pick some up there then. Thanks Man.

Well after several pain in the tail loading adventures where we are dealing with a side current I decided my trailer needed some guides. So this is what I did, and probably too many pictures for it. Hope you like and it can help someone else too. Oh, this is not my original I stumbled up on the idea for this mod online.

We start with a Ladder Support, yep....stay with me here.
TrailerUprights1.jpg

I cut it in half then used the supplied U-Bolts to secure it to the frame with a piece of 2" PVC pipe to keep anything from flexing too far. It is pretty dang solid so I am happy with it.
TrailerUprights2.jpg

TrailerUprights3.jpg

TrailerUprights4.jpg

TrailerUprights5.jpg

Now it is time to put the side posts up and start fitting it into place.
TrailerUprights6.jpg

A good 3/8" x 3" bolt, washer, lock washer and nut snugged them down so they don't move. I might put a second up above it if I notice any flex after trying it at the lake.
TrailerUprights8.jpg

Now the caps are on the top and the reflective tape is in place for safety and to make it easy to see. I wrapped the strip on top all the way around so when backing in the dark my tail lights will light up the tops good to help me see where the back of the trailer is.
TrailerUprights7.jpg

TrailerUprights9.jpg

I am not sure what is next but I leaning towards a built in live well and looking now for a larger motor. Hope this helps someone else.

Bufford in Orlando

NIce - join the ladder stabilizer club. A bunch of us on here have done it, such a great, simple and relatively cheap idea.

Thanks. You know its funny, I prowl these forums all the time but saw this on another site... #-o . Oh well. It was a simple project, under $35.00 and done in less than 2 hours. Definitely the way to go.

Glad to be a member of the club and this site is the best I have found.

Bufford in Orlando

Man that is one good Idea, I looked all over the place, Trying to find something Round to fit in the PCV Pipe.

To use in the corners, Ended up just using a standard PVC ell in there,

But The Ell wants to pop apart on me, Mind Telling Me if you got the Ladder Stabilizer at Lowes or H.D. ?
Thanks =D>

Arkdave said:
Man that is one good Idea, I looked all over the place, Trying to find something Round to fit in the PCV Pipe.

To use in the corners, Ended up just using a standard PVC ell in there,

But The Ell wants to pop apart on me, Mind Telling Me if you got the Ladder Stabilizer at Lowes or H.D. ?
Thanks =D>

Hey man. bought it at Home Depot, it is like 47" I think. It was the large one they had 2 to choose from. It is perfect to snugly slide down on there with 2" PVC. I think the cost was 29.00

Bufford

I like this way, but I think this one below would be stronger when the boat runs into them.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12764

Yeah looks good, If the Cross member in the trailer frame is in the Right place, Buffords is too far back for that,
Ill take a look at mine later and see! Thanks :)

perchin said:
I like this way, but I think this one below would be stronger when the boat runs into them.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12764

Looks like a good way. Mine are pretty dang solid...I grabbed them and jerked them and they are solid. I also used it at the lake Friday and it worked perfect..no problem at all. I am happy with it for sure, and my cousin, who usually is driving it on while I back the trailer down was VERY happy with them.

Thanks for the link, I like what he did.

Latest posts