Bufford's 12 foot modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey that turned out pretty **** good. Any particular reason you wouldn't put it on the walls again? Just didn't like how it turned out cosmetically or what?

WaltonsMountain said:
Hey that turned out pretty **** good. Any particular reason you wouldn't put it on the walls again? Just didn't like how it turned out cosmetically or what?
You know, I said that before I took it out. I should say I have changed my mind on that one. The perks are it stayed cool for 5 hours in direct sunshine. The metal used to burn bad when you put your feet up on the side, this stuff (in the light color anyway) stayed very cool. Also, it is heavily texured but was not rough to walk on or stand on at all.

I would put it on the walls and rim again.

Glad you liked it, it is pretty good stuff.

Bufford

hey i love your boat i have a few questions for oyu how did you do the suports under the front deck and how tall is the front deck love the idea was thinking of borrowing for my boat but wanted some more info from you on how you did your suports in the front under the deck thanks for your info

jsharp said:
hey i love your boat i have a few questions for oyu how did you do the suports under the front deck and how tall is the front deck love the idea was thinking of borrowing for my boat but wanted some more info from you on how you did your suports in the front under the deck thanks for your info

Hey J,

The way I did the front was to take a line level on a string, place it on top of the front cross support on the boat floor, where it makes it upswing, then run it straight back to the bench seat to find the level height. Once that was marked on the bench seat I knew where to cut to run the plywood flat forward to rest on that front rib. We cut the seat (pics in first post) and we only had a couple inches, maybe 4 or so max, between the bottom of the deck and the floor, so I put floatation foam down to fill the void completely all the way forward. There are no supports under there but it feels rock solid and then we screwed it down into that front rib brace to hold it on the front, and to the created braces on the cut out seat in the back.

It feels rock solid, no flexinging at all and still allows for drainage down the chanels on the bottom if water comes in from rain or over the sides. With the deck not having much to span in height or length there was no use framing something up, and I am 250+ and it doesn't give at all with me walking or sitting on it. :D

Bufford in Orlando

jsharp said:
thanks man i love it i like the open floor plan how tall are your pedestal for your seats

Can't remember on the front right off, 11" maybe, the back is only like 5"

grizzly said:
looking good! coming together real nice.

Thanks Grizzly, I am really enjoying the project, and it is going fishing again Sunday. I am considering pods to add to the back to boost lift back there, it is back heavy, especially with my big butt back there.

I am new to this site and am glad I found it. I am am working on a 12 foot jon and wanting to make sure it is water tight. I have a couple questions about the steel flex. Can you put it on the bottom of the boat if it has already been painted or does it have to be put on bare aluminum? Also, can it be painted over to match the rest of the boat? Thanks

I believe it can be painted but calling the company will be your best information, they are extremely helpful on the phone.

To prep I just scuffed the boat with 60 grit paper (real rough stuff) then cleaned it, then applied the coatings.

Well I know what it was stock, and I can tell you me, another full grown man and a 100 pound kid still has be boat riding pretty high in the water.

Bufford,
I like your rig, especially the heavy duty pedestals.
I'm on the hefty side (290#), and can appreciate stability and comfort. =D>
-jasper

jasper60103 said:
Bufford,
I like your rig, especially the heavy duty pedestals.
I'm on the hefty side (290#), and can appreciate stability and comfort. =D>
-jasper

Me too man, so far I have had no issues at all.

Hey Bufford.
Just checked out your websites...very cool stuff there.
Great testimonials! Can tell your family is a blessing to many!

great mod too ! =)

Thanks for sharing.