Bufford's 12 foot modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arkdave said:
Thanks I go in there all the time, but never thought to look around the Ladders! ill pick one up next trip there !!(-:

Make sure to show me yours when you get done, I look forward to seeing it.

Bufford

RBuffordTJ said:
perchin said:
I like this way, but I think this one below would be stronger when the boat runs into them.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12764

Looks like a good way. Mine are pretty dang solid...I grabbed them and jerked them and they are solid. I also used it at the lake Friday and it worked perfect..no problem at all. I am happy with it for sure, and my cousin, who usually is driving it on while I back the trailer down was VERY happy with them.

Thanks for the link, I like what he did.

Sweet, I'm still not sure how I'm going about mine yet.

RBuffordTJ said:
Arkdave said:
Thanks I go in there all the time, but never thought to look around the Ladders! ill pick one up next trip there !!(-:

Make sure to show me yours when you get done, I look forward to seeing it.

Bufford

I will Man, When I get around to it :lol: I glued mine back together a while ago, So I could go fishing tomorrow!

It may stay now, Dont think I used Cleaner on the PVC before,

When I do change it, Ill do it like yours! My Trailer is just like yours, That cross member is right at the Back, Kind of Narrow!

If that Tube is as thin as it looks, It is going to bend over time, With one bolt in it!! That and im Cheap :lol: already have the PVC!

All I need is tube :wink:

Hi Bufford, Im workin on a similar conversion and was wonderin what kind of plywood did you use? And do i need to put foam back under the deck? (If so where can I get it)

hossman_24 said:
Hi Bufford, Im workin on a similar conversion and was wonderin what kind of plywood did you use? And do i need to put foam back under the deck? (If so where can I get it)

You can get the block insulation from Home Depot and i used 5/8ths exterior plywood treated with Thompsons. If I had to do it again I would have used spar urathane. Check out my build its similiar to waht you want to do.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12198

I have been looking at the jon boat builds, yours is really good!

What did you prime the inside with, and are you going to use the flexsteel above the black on the hull and what color?

Great build!

Tony near Indy

RetiredFF,

Thanks for the kind words.

The black on my boat is the steelflex, that was as high as I plan to bring it up. I am going to paint over the original green area on the outside with a red to match with the red stripes on my seats, just a little flash!

The inside was primed with a basic spray on primer, then I rolled on the Durabak non slip coating. Where it coats the wood I did not prime it as the company said to just scuff it with a heavy sandpaper then roll on 2 coats.

Bufford in Orlando

Hey Bufford

Nice Build, I am a pretty big guy 6'1 - 340.

I am working with what looks to be a 1248... I bought the boat for 65 with a partner of mine. I noticed your a big guy and your running - all of that plus an outboard and a troller. -

How is it weight wise? We want to run the boat myself and another guy hes about 175 and a troller motor rig.

any suggestions?

Sounds like weight wise you are going to be very close to myself and my cousin and our gear, we usually have his son (90lbs or so) in there too. It is fine. The only problem I ever run into is running it by myself, got to weight that front good or go sloooooooowwwwww. LOL

Bufford

MadCatX said:
Hey Bufford

Nice Build, I am a pretty big guy 6'1 - 340.

I am working with what looks to be a 1248... I bought the boat for 65 with a partner of mine. I noticed your a big guy and your running - all of that plus an outboard and a troller. -

How is it weight wise? We want to run the boat myself and another guy hes about 175 and a troller motor rig.

any suggestions?

Not sure if this will help anyone, but
I'm a big guy too and needed to move some weight forward.
I have a transom mount TM and moving it to the bow is not an easy
option for me. So, I decided to move my heavy deep cycle
battery forward to the bow. I bought a set
of 20 foot 4 gauge jumper cables and extended the battery cables to the bow section. Select/modify the cable length to
suite your needs.
Also, look at cheeseball's thread (https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5668). He shows how to build a bus bar.
I did something similar.

Of course, it would be better to move the TM and battery to the bow if that's an option for you.

Does cutting the middle seat out do anything to the structural integrity of the boat? or does the remaining aluminum provide enough support.

MWAK87 said:
Does cutting the middle seat out do anything to the structural integrity of the boat? or does the remaining aluminum provide enough support.

Yes it does compromise the structural integrity which is why I designed my supports the way I did out of plywood. Go back through my build and you will see them on the front page. If your boat has ribs that run up the sides it will not have as much of an effect but I am of the mind if you take it out make sure to replace it with something that gives support back.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but
I'm a big guy too and needed to move some weight forward.
I have a transom mount TM and moving it to the bow is not an easy
option for me. So, I decided to move my heavy deep cycle
battery forward to the bow. I bought a set
of 20 foot 4 gauge jumper cables and extended the battery cables to the bow section. Select/modify the cable length to
suite your needs.
Also, look at cheeseball's thread (https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5668). He shows how to build a bus bar.
I did something similar.

Of course, it would be better to move the TM and battery to the bow if that's an option for you.

Great ideas!

I have the exact some boat and have been fishing it for about 2 years now. I too am a large man 6'1" 300 lb. and fish with my friend about the same size as your cousin. I really like how you move the weight lower in the boat by moving the bench/seat up front, I also like the floor. Did you put foam under all of the flooring? Did it stabilize the boat any? I am going to attempt this design with my boat. I was wondering what everyone thought of doing the same to the rear bench? Then building some boxes that went from one bench to the other along the sides to kind of square off the inside, maybe also add some foam in the boxes or just build them with a hinged lid for storage boxes?? Got to say you really got my wheels turning with the design of your boat! Great build and tight lines!!!

Chris B.

fishburger said:
I have the exact some boat and have been fishing it for about 2 years now. I too am a large man 6'1" 300 lb. and fish with my friend about the same size as your cousin. I really like how you move the weight lower in the boat by moving the bench/seat up front, I also like the floor. Did you put foam under all of the flooring? Did it stabilize the boat any? I am going to attempt this design with my boat. I was wondering what everyone thought of doing the same to the rear bench? Then building some boxes that went from one bench to the other along the sides to kind of square off the inside, maybe also add some foam in the boxes or just build them with a hinged lid for storage boxes?? Got to say you really got my wheels turning with the design of your boat! Great build and tight lines!!!

Chris B.

Thanks for the kind words. I did put foam under the front deck area and the mid floor, the floor rests on the ribs so that is the height of it. As for stabilizing, if you look at how I designed the supports for the front bench I cut out you will see how I kept structural stability. There is nothing wrong with doing the back seat if you stabilize it also. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Bufford

Latest posts