Lowe 1648MV makeover (near complete)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nearing completion except for electrical.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,439
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,439
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,439
I have a very similar Lowes Jon boat, if not the same model, but mine is tiller steer. Can you give me a ball park of how many feet of the 1 1/2 angle you used to do the floor and deck. I really like your design. Thanks, Tim

Tim,
I bought three 25' sticks to start with. I made one or two bad cuts and had to go back and get another one although I only needed about 5'. So I essentially used about 80
feet. I don't know what type fishing you'll be doing, but I think a setup
like mine would be more for bass fishing. Since I want to learn crappie
fishing I now wish I'd done mine different. I would have made the front deck lower and shorter, only extending back to the second rib from the middle seat. The. I could mount my front seat on the floor and used a shorter pedestal or none at the rear so that person could put their feet on the floor. As it is right now I may have to add a short
extension to the rear bench for added footroom. Good luck with
whatever you decide. Use a lot of rivets if you don't weld. I read where riveted frames have some flexibility whereas welded is more rigid and prone to
cracking.

Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. In my design I have sketched out, I am dropping the main deck height to that of the seats to try and keep a lower center of gravity. I had planed to run the main deck from the bow platform all the way to the back of the first bench.

I considering know just doing the floors with places for pedestal mounts. It would be a raised floor in the front to be level.

We will do bass, crappie, and bowfishing (minor). Maybe a little more research.

Tim

What size rivets did you use to 1) attach 2 pieces of 1/8" together and 2) to attach to 1/8" to the ribs? I have only minimal experiences with rivets. Did you use aluminum rivets? Tim

Tim I used 3/16" throughout. Just make sure you get the proper grip range for the material you'll be joining. Don't know if you can see in the pics, but I only put two rivets on top at each end where the angle contacted the rib. I also added two screws thru the angle into the side of the ribs.

Get that baby in the water already!

I'm just waiting for the tide to change then we're going out on some flats for Striper. Schoolies and a few big boys are around. After dark some live sand eels should put one in the cooler. Hum.

I guess I could get on the water, but I've had a broken leaf spring on my truck that I'm just now getting around to fixing. To make a long story short I can't recommend SD truck springs. gotta get new registration sticker and I'll be ready. Hey I thought stripers were fresh water?

Had to disassemble the dash to get a hole cut for switch panel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,432
Should have fished out of it first. That way you could have leaned out the process by making modifications that actually serve a purpose. May find out that you're actually losing space by adding compartments.

rest,
Well, I had to have some storage and I've still got my floor space, so I think I'm ahead. Still need to mount bow lite when it comes in and get a TM battery, but this just about wraps it up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,402
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,402
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,402
Awesome work. I've bookmarked this thread so when I finally find a bigger boat in my price range I can steal all your designs! =D> I wish there was a metal supply around here. I would have used all aluminum for the small decks I just put in my 14 footer but I'm not paying Lowes prices for those short sticks so I went with wood.

Thanks Jake. As I said before, I couldn't have done all this without help from this site. Good luck on your next build.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,378
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,378