Lowe 1648MV makeover (near complete)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May pull her out in the daylight for a pic or two, but I believe I'm water ready. it's been a long journey to me and I couldn't have made without all the help I got here. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,061
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,061
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,061
Ready for some water...I hope. Thanks again everyone for all your encouragement!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,039
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,039
I am new to the site and not sure how to send you a personal message, maybe you still check up on this site from time to time. I am in the process of replacing my bunk boards, after that I am going to start my decking project for my 14' jon, my plans are similar to what you are doing, but mine is a flat bottom, and tiller. I am on the fence with trying to use wood framing, or angle aluminum like you did, the only thing is that i am gun shy about using rivets, i never have used them and have no clue how, or how much it would cost to get the tools i need. What do you recommend?

Also, how did you secure the front of your deck to the flat front shelf of your jon, mine has the same thing, and the previous owner did not secure the front plywood, and I hate it that way.
Another question, How did you know where to poke your holes through the carpet to mount your trolling motor frame, and your seat post plate?

I was going to buy treated plywood.

Think a novice can handle using rivets and angle iron?
I really like all your posts, it will definitely be a tool i will be using for buying supplies and such and picture references.

Hope to hear from you soon, i am pining to get going on my project with it being so **** hot out

Sorry, I haven't been to this forum for months. If you haven't done your modification yet here's some answers to your questions. DON'T use treated lumber anywhere, the chemical in it will react with aluminum. You shouldn't have any problem framing with aluminum angle. I just learned as I went. I bought two rivet tools, one small one with a rotating head, and one larger one with two handles. I used 3/16 diameter rivets. Don't remember what I paid for everything, just check Amazon. I used self tapping screws to secure the plywood to the front deck. For the rear seat and trolling motor base, I attached 1/4-20 t-nuts to the underside of the plywood before I covered with carpet. There should be some pics on a previous page of this post. Thanks for your interest, good luck!