Mojo's 1995 Sea Nymph 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like your boat and what your doin toit.I do have a question tho.........What did you use for support in the back of your boat to inclose the open area?Will you be able to stand onit?

OK i went back to the pictures and clicked onthem and they got bigger so i could see them better.I find out what i wanted to no......thanks

Got a few more things done over the last couple of days. Since the test run indicated an acute lack of weight up in the front of the boat We've decided to place the fuel tank up there.
I've got a flat 12 Gal tank that will fit right in front of the livewell. This puts weight up front and center without screwing up my plans for storage space and battery placement.

I cut out the other side of the middle bench and built another box on the right. I've decided that's where the electronics are going to go and I'm also going to make the simple live well into something more complicated. It needs a fill and overflow along with a recirc pump. So pump and pipe'n can go on that side also.

Here's the new box.
IMG335.jpg

I think I may need to turn this around so that the pick up is facing aft.
IMG336.jpg

great looking rig. i love your rod locker idea and your fabricated risers. my lowe has virtually the same features so this thread has been really informational.

three quick questions:

how did you end up cutting through the foam so straight? or is it a little messy?

i see youve added an aft platform- any thought as to a spashwell? ive gone around and around about using one on my boat.

do the side rails of your front deck conform to the curvature of the hull or is your gunwale pretty much straight?

Thanks for the Encouragement Ben,

Here's the answers to your questions..

how did you end up cutting through the foam so straight? or is it a little messy
Actually I just got lucky! The vertical piece of foam was in there cut like that already. It just so happens that the place i decided to cut the middle bench was pretty close to where that foam was precut.

i see youve added an aft platform- any thought as to a spashwell? ive gone around and around about using one on my boat.
I thought about a splash well for all of about 2 sec's. If I was running a larger motor maybe, but after the test run the other day I didn't have any issues with water coming up over the transom so I figure if any does get in the boat that's what the bilge pump is for.

do the side rails of your front deck conform to the curvature of the hull or is your gunwale pretty much straight?
There isn't much of a curve up front. I leveled the boat based off the front deck that was already there and just ran them back level in relation to that. I did that back to the second or third rib in..can't remember; then I leveled the boat back out based on the center bench and used that reference for the right and left lockers.

OK Huge post incoming, lot's of pictures.

I was super productive today, I decided to get that fuel tank situation figured out. After looking at it for a good long while I realized that I did need to turn the fuel tank around so that the pick up was facing the rear.
After that was done I needed to decide where i was going to put the fuel fill. I really, REALLY wanted to put it on the left hand side of the boat so that when you pulled up to the the gas pumps you could fuel the boat and the truck on the same side but after looking at it and playing with the hose i realized I would be eating into my rod locker space. Moving the rod locker to the other side wasn't in the cards cause that would have made me switch the electronics bay to the other side and that would have put it opposite of where I sit while driving. Long story short I didn't want to, sometimes I get plans laid out ahead of time and just don't want to change them.

OK, so the fill is going to be on the right. Here's where the fun started. That fuel fill hose is stupid ridged. Hard to get any bends at all AND I needed to figure out a way to put a 90 deg elbow on the tank. It came pre-made with the strait up and down pipe which wasn't going to work with that super stiff hose. Ran down to the plumbing store and dude had a 1 1/2 & 1 1/4 Elbow. It was 1$ I figured i'd take it home and see whats up. It didn't fit! The gas tank is Plastic.. I've got a Heat gun... plastic gets stretchy when hot. Bam! Problem solved.

Then it was on to the fuel fill port. I wanted it outside of the boat. I could have run it strait up from the tank and saved lots of hassle but I don't want the fuel fill on the inside of the boat, too many issues waiting to happen with that. I made a nice fitting for the fuel cap and tray I had. Now it sticks out off the side of the boat and any fuel spilled will go down into the parking lot and not into my boat.

I had to start out by cutting into my nice neat framing and bracing it up. The piece that ran down the side where i wanted to put that fuel line was in the way. I had to cut out a section of it and then brace it back up in that area. I'm not sure if you can see much of it in the pictures.

Here's all the pictures.

Heat Gun in action..
IMG337.jpg

90 Deg elbow in place..
IMG339.jpg

Riser fabrication pictures. I used a piece of cardboard to get the curve of my fuel tray then Xfered it to the slab of aluminum. I'm also showing some photo's of how i cut it for attachment tabs.
IMG341.jpg
IMG342.jpg

Here's the riser in place after much bending and tweaking and cutting some chunks out of the side's with the hole saw to fit flush with the rail.
IMG344.jpg

All done! I'm really happy with how this turned out. Much better than my original brain storm of doing some sort of flat box. This one has no sharp corners to get caught on or hooks to snag up in.
IMG345.jpg
IMG346.jpg

That is really sweet. I have really enjoyed watching this project. You have done a really great job =D> =D>

That fuel fill looks great... Now you have made me think (why not) about this on my up coming build.... where did you get your tank? how many gallons, and the fuel tray etc...

It really is a nice fit, looks great....

Kcatto & Gill thanks for the Props!

Kcatto,
The tank is a 12 gal Moeller brand.. just serch for em on the web. I got that one off Ebay. The tray and the fill cap i got at a local boat store.

I'm going to go ahead and make a disclaimer here. A lot of the stuff I have for this boat was bought about 2 years ago for a project that never got started. I've had it sitting around in the attic after I moved into a new house. So, I can't say for sure where I got most of this stuff.. it's been a while and I forgot. BUT that being said Ebay was my friend and lots of it was gotten from there.
Mojo

no problem, thank you for the information... I just really like your fuel tray.... and the idea of installing a permanent tank never dawned on me.... keep up the good work this thing is looking sweet....

Got a few minor things taken care of today. Put a few brace's in, got the hatch for the rod locker built, stood around and did alot of thinking.
Also ran out to Walmart and picked up some drink holder inserts to put in, picked up a couple of in deck rod holders to put in the back for trolling... but i'm not sure where I can actually place them. I'm thinking in the top of the back hatch, can't get too close to the sides cause of the hull angle. Meh, I'll figure it out.

Here's the pics.

The Ghetto blue tape hinge makes another appearance!
IMG347.jpg

Open say's me :shock:
IMG348.jpg

lookin sharp as usual... do you expect that you will stand on your compartments? i used the same strike design for my lids.

the reason i ask is that while im 170 lbs, my usual buddy is 260 and i dont want him to go stomping through my lids and compartments or worse, pulling fasteners out.

Thanks Ben,

Yes. I do plan on them being sturdy enough to stand on. They are all braced around the inside edge, I've gotten up on them and don't notice any give.. and i'm 225. The only one's that I forsee getting stood on for long periods are the back hatch and the large one i'm putting up front. That rod locker and the electronics/plumbing bay on the other side I see getting stepped on just when getting in and out at the dock possibly.

Today's progress before football.. Wanted to do something quick and easy but still make some progress so decided to tackle this issue.

I needed a tray for my trolling motor foot control. I've been looking online at them.. $80-100. Um NO. I'm sure those are really nice and they look pro and all but no. Tin Boats forums to the rescue!

I don't remember who's idea this is that I stole but I remember a thread talking about foot trays and someone brain stormed a brilliant idea to use a cake pan. It's already pressed into a nice uniform shape. There is a nice little lip all the way around it. It's almost perfect for this application. And the best part.... it was $3 at Walmart. YES!

I'm not sure if anyone ever used that idea, I don't remember seeing one done.. so maybe i'm the first. You guy's get to see the finished product.

So after making the measurements and a template for the cut out I broke out the tools and went to town. I took my time with the cut and it came out beautifully. After some grinding and tweaking that pan fit in like a glove.

Thanks anonymous Idea Guy.

Three Bucks!
IMG350.jpg

Template cut and taped into place.
IMG351.jpg

Action shots! It's going to need to be painted and some holes and grommets installed for the wiring but after that it's golden.
IMG353.jpg

IMG354.jpg

Looks great Mojo! I've got some good ideas from your build. I like that you went on a shakedown run before you finished the decking. I'm definitely going to add that step after reading your thread.

Got the front hatch where the batteries are going constructed today. I also finished bracing up the forward part of the rod locker and added some other bracing in random places that needed it.

I've decided that I'm going to give up some of my storage space in my big forward locker, the area from centerline to port was going to be hard to get to anyhow and now it's going to be cooler area. I was always wondering if I was going to be able to incorporate a small one somewhere since I Really didn't feel like lugging one in and out of the boat and taking up what limited floor space I do have.

So I've found my spot for it but it's not installed as of yet. Other things need to get done before I move to that but I'll give you guys a teaser pic.

Battery Locker hatch complete.
IMG356.jpg

Cooler location test fit.
IMG355.jpg

Last couple of day's I've been busy but it doesn't feel like I've accomplished a whole lot. I actually have but its more along the lines of getting stuff ready for paint and less about fabrication.

Anyhow I did get a few things taken care of. All of the hatch lids are finished, That aluminum square tube i got from the salvage yard was pretty dirty so I've been wire wheeling it down. I also got the side cut out of the livewell area so i could place pumps and nozzles. Got one of the side wall pieces up.. the small one covering the gap from the top of the live well to the deck. It gave me a chance to try out my home made sheet metal break.

I made the break out of some steel angle a hinge and some bolts.. super easy and I'm posting a link to the plans I found online if anyone needs to look at them. I made that break for about $45.
https://www.ch601.org/tools/bendbrake/brakeplans.pdf

All topside hatches done.
IMG362.jpg
IMG363.jpg

Break in action. It's not going to help you out if you have anything really thick. But it did a pretty good job on this .06.
IMG358.jpg

In place...
IMG360.jpg

Fooling around with the live well.
IMG361.jpg

perfect little break for this type of work. youve inspired me mojo... pulled my boat in the garage last night and started cutting after months of planning. figured theres no time like the present. really interested to hear you moving forward with this project, as you criticize your own designs and share both points of success and tribulation.

This is a great thread, I have learned a lot and been inspired more.... I have my first build to start soon.... keep up the good work looks great...

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I got out today and did a couple of the side walls that cover up the two lockers. Got my dimensions drawn out and got to cutting. This is with out a doubt the most difficult of all the cuts I'm going to do on this build and of course I really didn't want to screw up too badly and waste any of that expensive aluminum sheeting.

First off.. they ain't perfect. I've got a few minor mistakes I can cover up, but over all it turned out good. That cool home made break I made was good for the big bend but not designed for handing all the angle's on a piece this intricate. That's what channel locks and a mini sledge and work bench are for. I got all my bends put in and got both pieces in place. I've got to do a little trimming around the top cause Like i said. It wasn't perfect.

Here's the pictures.

Both sides cut out.
IMG365.jpg

Installed.
IMG366.jpg