Mojo's 1995 Sea Nymph 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lookin good. i did some espionage at aluminum boat retailers so i could steal some ideas for my own boat- id say most boats shown on this site are cleaner and more functional than a mass produced boat could ever dream of.

those bulkheads really finish off the deck nicely and help you envision the final product. that thing is going to look incredible once its skinned out.

NICE, and they look great from here, but of course if you are anything like most people that will take on a project like this you are over critical of your own work.... I am way over critical on my work...

That looks awesome. Wish I had a tenth of the talent with aluminum that you do.

How much weight do you think you've added so far?

Thanks Kensho,

Working with that aluminum is easy. I've used nothing more complicated than a chop saw, angle grinder, drill and rivet gun.. don't let it intimidate you its easy. I'm not sure how much weight i've added Probably added less than 100lbs so far. All I know its alot less than compared to how much the same structure would have weighed if made from wood.

Got busy and made the framework and door for the access hatch to my electronics bay. I could have went the easy route and got one of those fancy plastic hatches you just cut an opening for but the stupid things are 60-80 bucks for a small one. Blah.. I just made it myself and it will work fine.

Here's the pics.

Back side door and framework.
IMG367.jpg

Open with the trusty blue tape hinge.
IMG368.jpg

Closed.. with fancy rounded edges!
IMG369.jpg

very nice looking good!.... did you brace under your trolling motor tray and are you installing a drain in that pan?

There was foam under the front deck.. i just hollowed out enough for the tray to sit flush so no bracing. And yes I'm going to put a drain in it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329996#p329996 said:
Mojo » Yesterday, 18:36[/url]"]There was foam under the front deck.. i just hollowed out enough for the tray to sit flush so no bracing. And yes I'm going to put a drain in it.

This is one of the coolest ideas I have ever seen.... I am so gonna steal it from you, just letting you know so when it shows up in my build, dont be surprised...

I put the hatch lock and hinge on the electronics bay door this morning. It actually took alot longer than I thought it would. I had to redesign the back of the door and remove one of the square braces and use some angle and brackets to reinforce it back up.

Then putting in that stupid hinge. That was a mega pain, I couldn't get it in flat or it screwed up where the door sat too much and left a huge gap on the left. I decided to place the hinge tabs between the brace's and the skin. It looks alot better than stuck right on top of the door.. even if it did take alot more time to implement.

All in all i'm pretty happy with it. I'm going to make a bracket to fit over the hole I cut in the brace for the latch to catch. That hole is kinda raggedy looking cause i couldn't get a good angle on it to cut it out. But not today.. I've done enough I think I'm gona take a Sunday afternoon nap.

Back side.. you can see that sloppy hole cut.
IMG370.jpg

Front side with hinge sandwiched between skin and braces.
IMG371.jpg

Longshot.. Cool! I'm up near the north end by 326. You probably know some of the fishing holes that we frequent around here. :D

Got the floor cut out and fit tested today. I wanted to do more but it's raining and Florida Heat + Rain= Muggy. The sweat was pouring off me and it was just too hot to mess around anymore today.

Cutting in action.
IMG377.jpg

Floor fit test SAT.
IMG383.jpg

I don't know how I missed this build but I am glad that I found it. You are doing an awsome job and i like your "thinking out of the box" approach to things. I absoloutley love the cake pan idea. With it installed you would never know it was a cake pan. Looks like it was made for that sole purpose. I can't wait to see the finished product. What gauge are to skinning the side of the compartments with and what thickness is the floor.

Thanks Stomper,

The sides and the floor are .06 sheet. I went flimsy on the floor cause its going to have foam under it to support the weight.. the floor aluminum is just a skin over that. No need to go thick when it has support under it.

The top deck that i'm going to be walking around on with no support under cept for braces is .08, that's the same thickness as the hull and benches.

Mojo

p.s. This Florida rain storm we've had the past couple of day's has put me at a stand still for now, I'm ready to prime and paint the inside but can't get started till this weather clears out and the humidity goes back to something less than "Jungle Mist". Oh well I've got GTA 5 to keep me occupied. :D

This whole build is very inspirational.... I will be sad to see it finished only because I have enjoyed it so much so far..... you are doing an amazing job!!

Back on the Job,

I had to take a few day's off. It was rainy and muggy down here and my break from the build turned from 2 day's to 5. Now I'm motivated again.

Got out there and got the battery compartment floor done today. It's just wedged in place ATM for a test fit and to make sure the boxes were sitting right. I still need to paint the floor so I don't want it covered up yet.

I will also need to put some holes in this thing to drain out to the bilge. It's just made out of some .06 sheet turned up on both sides. I also put some angle to hold the boxes in place, after painting the tray I'll put on the hold down strap's that came with the boxes.

I tested it out with the big battery in the box. It's solid, not much of any flex at all.

Pic's

IMG385.jpg

IMG386.jpg

IMG387.jpg

I was thinking I really need a Mini Console to hold some gage's and the Depthfinder & radio face. I wanted to make it so I could install it above the Electronics bay, So i started looking around and the perfect thing was laying on the floor.. Half of a bench seat I cut out earlier in the Build. All this took me around 7 hours to do. I'm slow.

After alot of cutting.. and fitting.. and rivets. I give you the Mini Console!

Starting piece.
IMG388.jpg

Side view.. the slope side is the front.
IMG389.jpg

Inside..
IMG391.jpg

Laying out item locations.
IMG392.jpg

I had to put things in the holes i cut to see how it was going to look. I like it! :D
IMG393.jpg

dont you love fitting all that stuff in there? did you make any depth finder noises? :mrgreen:

is that console going to hang off the side of the boat? having a hard time imagining where it goes.

also what kind of radio is that? sirius/xm? never seen a double din RX that looked like that.

Ben,

Some pictures to clarify you as to where the little console is going & a shot of the radio box. The little console is going on top of the electronics bay in front of the driver position. I'll be mounting my switch pannel and other controls under the console location on the bay bulkhead.

It's a Jensen brand radio, I like it cause you put the power unit under the deck out of the weather and the face plate is entirely water proof and it came with a spiffy cover.

I think i'm gona go with this little bit of overhang to keep the panel and switches under it to keep from getting bumped.
IMG394.jpg

Radio box.
IMG396.jpg

Latest posts