new 16 Ft Sears Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya defentely it's no issue give and getting advice here, that's the point of this site, I'm jealous of the boat man...I got mine up to 32 knots so I estimate around 36 mph but mine is also 2 foot shorter than yours and most likely a lot less wide...I might have to find a 16ft sears boat for my offshore tin project in the future.

Gators5220 said:
Ya defentely it's no issue give and getting advice here, that's the point of this site, I'm jealous of the boat man...I got mine up to 32 knots so I estimate around 36 mph but mine is also 2 foot shorter than yours and most likely a lot less wide...I might have to find a 16ft sears boat for my offshore tin project in the future.

very nice ! yeah i had mine out on Champlain the other day with good 2 foot white caps and windy as hell and it held up really nice it was slow going but it did a good job

do you have any good ways to seal the inside of my boat a lot of the rivets are leaky and i use truck bed coating on my last boat but it was a pain to clean but id like to find something spary-able and not crazy expensive any ideas ?

the start of my lower deck
i found these containers at walmart for 8$ not bad and they work great

DSCN0952.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

DSCN0953.jpg

this is kind of the end, it was a rush because i need to have it to use on Champlain in the morning and i didnt get to the door for the storage i am open to suggestion on how to to the door with out it looking like crap and wasting a bunch of wood and carpeting

DSCN0954.jpg

There are a lot of different options and I think everyone will be happy to tell you what they feel is best and why. I personally am going to herculine the bottom of my boat. Whatever method you choose make sure you clean the surface really well and prep it, for herculiner I think many of the folks on here recommend sanding it a bit with 80 grit sand paper...

yeah i dont think i want to use herculiner cuz i need something that is a bit easier to clean sand and dirt off and it is kind of expansive

it was a rush because i needed to use it on Champlain in the morning and i didnt get to the door for the storage i am open to suggestion on how to to the door with out it looking like crap and wasting a bunch of wood and carpeting

DSCN0954.jpg

any tricks on the best way to use " Gluvit " like is is best in side of the boat or the out side, im a thinking the inside only because it is not really the rivets that are leaking but the seams are were the water is coming in the front and sides what do you all think ? ?

Never heard or used it here, what is gluvit supposed do? Is it basically steelflex for the inside of the boat?

Gators5220 said:
Never heard or used it here, what is gluvit supposed do? Is it basically steelflex for the inside of the boat?

it is a paint epoxy for boats that you can color and what have you, and you can just paint it on after sanding and cleaning lol

i have seen it used a lot on here that is y i asked it is good stuff

so i have fish with the boat a bunch of times far and i think im going to hold off until winter and really do it all over the right way sand it down and paint it all new wiring and battery set up and i think im going to go thick with my ply-wood this next time it is working goo for now but could be better i think

Or you could get aluminum sheeting as well, don't have to worry about the rot issue...

Gators5220 said:
Or you could get aluminum sheeting as well, don't have to worry about the rot issue...

id like to do that but it would cost x10 more because i dont have any of the equipment for working with aluminum, it was a good test this was and i am also getting a new trolling motor and it just needs to have it done right ! going to completely over hall the thing this winter

VT-Bass13 said:
it was a rush because i needed to use it on Champlain in the morning and i didnt get to the door for the storage i am open to suggestion on how to to the door with out it looking like crap and wasting a bunch of wood and carpeting

DSCN0954.jpg
I would just use a piano hinge, and use a piece of aluminum angle iron on the bottom so that you have a way to secure the carpet covered wood where the bottom meets the deck. As for the gluvit, I am pretty sure that stuff is a thick epoxy paint that you can just roll or brush on. I hear it is kind of like elmers glue...I have personally never used the stuff though.

VT-Bass13 said:
These are some pic of the boat as i got it, for $600 ! ! with the Motor
it is a 16Ft Sears V-hull
30 Hp Nissan outboard with a 5-Gallon steal Tank and lines everything ready to go and i took it out and runs like a dream no problems at all

DSCN0872.jpg

DSCN0874.jpg

DSCN0873.jpg

DSCN0876.jpg

don't use the boat as a ground for the wiring..not a good idea..

oldfartboater said:
VT-Bass13 said:
These are some pic of the boat as i got it, for $600 ! ! with the Motor
yeah i got rid of that as soon as i saw it/ im in the process of redoing all of the wiring now

it is a 16Ft Sears V-hull
30 Hp Nissan outboard with a 5-Gallon steal Tank and lines everything ready to go and i took it out and runs like a dream no problems at all

DSCN0872.jpg

DSCN0874.jpg

DSCN0873.jpg

DSCN0876.jpg

don't use the boat as a ground for the wiring..not a good idea..

this is the work that is did on the back section of the boat the other day

DSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1013.jpg

sandal tan the sing of a real fishermen
DSCN1017.jpg

Have you taken that thing out and fished on it yet? Lookin good by the way, but you need to name that thing already! Thought about any names yet? It's bad luck to fish without a named boat...

Latest posts