Yet another trolling motor question...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMaestro

Reaction score
Ok, first I have already searched this in the forum, and I found some indirect and/or conflicting answers, so I thought Id see what the current thinking is....Here's my question/quandry...

As you can see from my build below, I have a 14' with a 9.9.. After a season of fishing, there were some things that needed improving, which is why Im starting phase 2 of my build.

When we fish, we dont troll, we go to an area, drop anchor and fish, then pull up, move about 50' or so, fish, and move on. Whats kinda of annoying is having to start the 9.9 each time we want to reposition.

I also fish from the stern, pretty much 100% of the time.

So I purchased a motorguide transom trolling motor. My plan was to use it as such, especially because Im always in the stern.

Before I begin wiring, Im at a point that I could reverse the head and mount it on the bow. Ive read about how to mount it and all that, but what I want to know is if its worth doing for how I will be using it? Or should I leave it as a stern mount?

I would imagine you anchor from the bow? and if so having the trolling motor up front also would get kinda crowded plus the anchor rope might interfere/tangle w the motor. With 2 guys the guy in the bow could work the anchor in/out while the guy in the stern could drive the boat towards it to make retrieving easier or work the motor to position the boat while the guy at the bow deploys the anchor. If you'll be fishing alone having both on the bow might be better. Just my opinion.

if your gonna continue fishing from the stern then id leave it on the transom. however i believe its alot easier to keep the boat where you want it when controlling a trollingmotor at the bow specially if theres some current or wind (less boat in the water up front) atleast on vhulls.

Driftingrz said:
if your gonna continue fishing from the stern then id leave it on the transom. however i believe its alot easier to keep the boat where you want it when controlling a trollingmotor at the bow specially if theres some current or wind (less boat in the water up front) atleast on vhulls.

+1 agreed. It's much easier to move the boat with a bow mount.

juggernot said:
I would imagine you anchor from the bow? and if so having the trolling motor up front also would get kinda crowded plus the anchor rope might interfere/tangle w the motor....

#-o I didnt even think of that, good point!

Driftingrz said:

I know I'll most certainly be in the stern, given that my daughter likes the middle, my wife has 'anchor duty' at the bow.. :).
Does this mean that folks who go only electric with a transom mount have difficulty controlling the boat, or is it only when you have an outboard weighing the back down and the front comes up?

For moving from spot to spot to anchor again and again as you described, I would put the trolling motor on the stern.

thewalleyehunter said:
Here's an article that I found helpful.

https://www.bassresource.com/fishing/choosing-a-trolling-motor.html

Hey thanks! its very informative and seems to support the idea of less precision but still useable.. I didnt see that link when I searched here, so hopefully it will help others as well!

TheMaestro said:
Driftingrz said:

I know I'll most certainly be in the stern, given that my daughter likes the middle, my wife has 'anchor duty' at the bow.. :).
Does this mean that folks who go only electric with a transom mount have difficulty controlling the boat, or is it only when you have an outboard weighing the back down and the front comes up?

since i got my current boat last year its been setup with a 9.9 and a stern mount trolling motor. its handy for moving short distances but if there is a little bit of wind or current i spend all my time trying to keep the boat from spinning while other people in the boat fish.

but if you still plan to anchor everytime you fish a spot it wont really make as much of a difference, i fish the river alot so it would be a hassle to anchor with the water depths what they are, so i just mounted a bowmount this past week. cant wait to try it out

Based on my experience, stern for your situation definitely. If you start trolling you'll re-think the bow idea, but with three in the boat you'll still want to control it from your stern seat. Nothing money can't fix... also based on my experience. #-o

Ya know, if you're only moving 50 feet at a time I probably wouldn't even bother with a trolling motor.

I'd just get myself a nice sculling oar and a lock. Like so:

bww_pic27.jpg

Low weight, nice and quiet, never runs out of juice and you've got emergency propulsion easily at hand in case the 9.9 packs it in on you.....