Xtrema's 14' Starcraft V-bottom Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtrema

Reaction score
Picked up a 1968 14' Starcraft, 1960 Evinrude 18 HP, and a nice trailer for $800. My plan is to put a casting deck on the front and back both with seats on poles, plenty of storage, 24v trolling motor up front, 12v panel to run stereo, fishfinder, bow/stern lights, led's inside of boat, and maybe a livewell.

Here is the boat how I got it. Well I took out the seats and foam and stripped everything else from it.
Boat%20Project
[/url][/img]

Another pic
Boat%20Project
[/url][/img]

Applied Herculiner to the entire floor and sidewalls.
Boat%20Project
[/url][/img]

Stern after Herculiner
Boat%20Project
[/url][/img]

Back of transom after rotted wood removed
Boat%20Project
[/url][/img]

Rotted board
Boat%20Project
[/url][/img]

Removed transom.
Boat%20Project
[/url][/img]

Have gotten a decent amount of framing done on the bow. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I can move pretty quick with it now. It is my first time ever working with aluminum angle. Here are some pics....

New seats in and front decking somewhat complete. The seats are 1x12 treated with a black polyeurathene that I picked up on clearance at Home Depot. Put 3 coats on each seat, I'd say it pretty well waterproofed even though it won't be exposed to any water directly. Still have to figure out how I'm going to do the bow mount trolling motor.

Another view

This is how I connected the vertical support angle to the rib. I just used any little extra pieces of angle I had and connected them to the ribs with self tapping screws or 5/32" rivet with a neoprene washer.

Another way I connected the vertical support to the outer rib edge. Used a Simpson tie riveted with a 5/32" rivet and neoprene washer. Make sure you cut your vertical piece before you connect the tie to the rib. Everything needs to sit flush to a surface to give a solid connection.

View down the seats. I connected it to the seats with a Simpson tie and #8 x 2 1/2" bolts with washer and lock washer bolted through the seat and seat support. These things are solid. Left that little gap to put a 2x4 in there to help anchor down a seat pedestal.

My "new" trolling motor. 2006 74lb 24v Minn Kota Maxxum. This thing is going to fly!!

My new transom installed. Put 3 coats of black polyeurathene on it. Fits in there nice and tight. The bolts are all sealed with 5200. Riveted my new Ohio HIN on the support there.

Am really going to start moving on this project. I'll try to keep this updated. I'm headed to Bass Pro next week to get my seats, pedestals, on board charger, 12v panel, and other misc. "needs". Taking this weekend off from working on it to celebrate my B-day and do some fishing.

Looks good man. I wish I could do alluminumn like that.

Check out this guy on Ebay for seats and so forth, he has cheap prices and I had no problems with him. BPS is almost twice as much.

https://shop.ebay.com/grizzlyjig/m.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2688&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_pgn=7

https://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=m570&_nkw=swivel+eze

Got the framing done for the most part. Need to add a couple more supports on the back bench. It is very sturdy. I went a little overboard in some areas. Used a lot of aluminum on this thing so far. Picking up some marine ply next week and going to get going on the deck. Picked up a 12v panel, 50 amp fuse, 3 bank charger, seat mounts, and seat poles last week at BPS.

Support frame for the TM

Connection to bow plate.

Connected the vertical supports for the TM frame to the front bench using Simpson angle ties and bolts with washer and lock lockwasher nut.

View of back bench. Need to add a couple more supports on the seat top.

Side view of back bench. All connections were used with those angle ties and bolts.

SS bolts through transom and hull to hold my new SS plate.

Replaced that old rotted piece of ply with this sturdy SS plate. This stiffened up the transom a ton. Connected it with SS bolts and still need to tighten those nyloc nuts.

View from the back. Ready to deck!!!!

This is awesome! =D>

I have been back and forth about a million times on how I want to deck my little 14 ft Alumacraft: wood or aluminum? I definitely wanted to do aluminum to keep it light, but had no idea how to go about doing it... This gives me a few ideas to work with! I wish I had a flat surface at the bow to work with like you do to tie into to make a spot for the bow-mounted trolling motor though: mine is kind of rounded and looks like it would be tough to get something to hold onto it nice and tightly... Does that rhino-liner looking stuff make a big difference with deadening sound? Does it add much more weight?

breachless said:
Does that rhino-liner looking stuff make a big difference with deadening sound? Does it add much more weight?

I think it made it really quiet. I dropped tools and my drill on it numerous times when I did the framing and it's pretty deadening. I did the whole inside (two coats) with one gallon. It only added about 10 lbs or so. However much a gallon of rhino liner weighs.

I've been so busy with school, work, and tournaments that I haven't really had much time to do any work on this thing. I plan on getting it decked and fishable in the next couple weeks though hopefully. I'll keep the progress pictures coming through the whole process though.

Great job on the boat. I just picked up a 14 ft starcraft seafarer off of craigslist in Columbus. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I am thinking about adding a deck and what other mods I want to do.
Where did you get the aluminum? I can't wait to see how this ends up, great job so far!!!

ski

You can get the aluminum angle from Lowe's or Home Depot. They sell it in 3', 4', 8' lengths.

c mon man,
get this project moving forward so I can steal some of your ideas!!!!!!!!!!!! So far it looks pretty good. A couple of weeks ago I bought practically the same boat. 1964 14 ft starcraft seafarer with a 1960 18 hp seahorse. I also got a trailer and minnkota trolling motor for $500.

Is your trailer made out of tubular or square? Mine is an old 3" tube frame.

ski

Ski, I'm trying man. Working 14 hr days out in the sun is killing me. I did go and buy my marine ply (2 sheets of 5/8" douglas fir CCA pressure treated) last week. My biggest unsupported span is around 20" and I'm a skinny guy so I didn't need anything thicker than 5/8". My templates that I cut got ruined from a leak in my pole barn roof, so I have to re-do those. Believe me I want this thing to be done so I can start to use it. My trailer is all C channel. Its not in too bad of shape but it would be much better with some bearing buddies on it. Hopefully I can find some time in the next couple weeks and finish this thing.

Latest posts