10 HP restriction lakes?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One lake I used to go to all the time has a 5mph speed limit 200' from shorelines. No one adheres to it and I think it is actually a silly rule except where there are shoreline campgrounds. It is one of those places that are like a zoo on weekends & holidays with all the recreational boaters. Who knows, maybe it is patrolled on weekends/holidays. I went on one holiday and won't do it again. During the week is it almost like my private lake.
I don't recall having put my boat in the water on a weekend or holiday for that very reason. Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday are my preferred days, and I usually make the decision based on weather.

I like a calm and relaxed boat ramp, too, where other fishermen are amenable to friendly conversation while at the dock.

Regarding speed limits like you describe, I agree with you, particularly if it's not well marked or enforced. The smaller no-wake lakes here are 100% no-wake, and there are a couple of medium-sized lakes with both unrestricted and no-wake areas. The dividing lines are marked well with buoys. If the 200' restricted speed areas are only discussed on a sign somewhere around the boat ramp, nobody will read it. It has to be marked and enforced, otherwise it's a waste of time.

Wait until there are signs at the ramp that say, "4 STROKE ENGINES ONLY".....

Can't call Motor Busters..... It's coming like we know tomorrow is Wednesday.....

Wait until there are signs at the ramp that say, "4 STROKE ENGINES ONLY".....

Can't call Motor Busters..... It's coming like we know tomorrow is Wednesday.....

My state, California, is often blamed for this. California bans sale of new outboard motors that are not CARB 3-star rated. Contrary to popular belief, there is no ban on two-strokes or any other motor type, per se. However for practical purposes the only new motors that now meet the pollution standard are four strokes. I think the only two stroke that met the CARB 3-Star standard was the Evinrude ETEC.

In reality there are few lakes in California that require CARB 3-Star ratings. The most well known is probably Lake Tahoe. Again, contrary to popular belief, such restrictions are determined by local jurisdictions as opposed to the state. My understanding is the state has no plans to make this a state-wide mandate, though I suppose that could change. Bottom line is the vast majority of lakes in California allow two-strokes. Based on nothing other than a feeling, I would not be surprised if there is a movement to mandate electric outboards before there is a state-wide ban on four strokes.

I don't recall having put my boat in the water on a weekend or holiday for that very reason. Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday are my preferred days, and I usually make the decision based on weather.

I like a calm and relaxed boat ramp, too, where other fishermen are amenable to friendly conversation while at the dock.

Regarding speed limits like you describe, I agree with you, particularly if it's not well marked or enforced. The smaller no-wake lakes here are 100% no-wake, and there are a couple of medium-sized lakes with both unrestricted and no-wake areas. The dividing lines are marked well with buoys. If the 200' restricted speed areas are only discussed on a sign somewhere around the boat ramp, nobody will read it. It has to be marked and enforced, otherwise it's a waste of time.

Kind of funny. I once asked the person at the entry kiosk about the shoreline speed limit. They looked at me like I was from outer space.

I didn't say it very well. My point is driving a private passenger vehicle & light single axle trailer I pay the same toll ($17.00) as a 40,000# commercial truck. The bridge authority considers it unfair because wear and tear on the bridge roadway is going to be more dependent on weight than an axle count. But, it cannot be changed unless legislators change the law.
That's crazy! Here in NJ they charge by axle but last I checked a single axle trailer isn't a crazy price more.

That's crazy! Here in NJ they charge by axle but last I checked a single axle trailer isn't a crazy price more.

These days we register our vehicles with a specific transponder to pay tolls. It would be pretty easy to identify private passenger type vehicles as opposed to commercial ones. There are no more toll takers. They use a camera to identify I'm pulling. a trailer and charge my account. The technology would allow identification I think, except for the law on the books.

These days we register our vehicles with a specific transponder to pay tolls. It would be pretty easy to identify private passenger type vehicles as opposed to commercial ones. There are no more toll takers. They use a camera to identify I'm pulling. a trailer and charge my account. The technology would allow identification I think, except for the law on the books.
I haven't trailered a boat in decades. Back when the Garden State Parkway was .35 for a car ir was either .50 or .75 for a single axle trailer behind. But that was when there were toll takers. Today we do have 1 or 2 lanes let with toll takers along with EZ pass, I don't know how much they charge though. Maybe I can look it up online.

I looked it up quick, it is now roughly 3X's the price. If my car toll id $1.50 the single axle trailer brings it to $4.50, which is stupid expensive IMO. https://www.njta.com/media/3305/toll_rate_schedule_gsp-_final_2017-04-04.pdf

I haven't trailered a boat in decades. Back when the Garden State Parkway was .35 for a car ir was either .50 or .75 for a single axle trailer behind. But that was when there were toll takers. Today we do have 1 or 2 lanes let with toll takers along with EZ pass, I don't know how much they charge though. Maybe I can look it up online.

I looked it up quick, it is now roughly 3X's the price. If my car toll id $1.50 the single axle trailer brings it to $4.50, which is stupid expensive IMO. https://www.njta.com/media/3305/toll_rate_schedule_gsp-_final_2017-04-04.pdf

I remember the 35 cent tolls. Threw the correct change in a basket.

Didn't california implement a ban on new gas engine sales under 25hp. That should skyrocket used prices.

Yup. And as far as I can see there is no distinction between two and four stroke motors. Leaf blowers, trimmers, lawn mowers, golf carts, etc etc. Used prices as well as prices for battery operated equipment will be going up. I would imagine a lot of our tax dollars will be going to help all the yard care guys convert to electric.

I advised my son to stock up on basic maintenance parts for his Stihl chainsaw. When I was doing some work on my leaf blower, I found out Stihl does not make that easy to do.

Guys, California has an incredible amount going for it. Mountains, lakes, seashore, excellent weather, etc. Move here and vote so we can return to sanity.

Last edited:
Yup. And as far as I can see there is no distinction between two and four stroke motors. Leaf blowers, trimmers, lawn mowers, golf carts, etc etc. Used prices as well as prices for battery operated equipment will be going up. I would imagine a lot of our tax dollars will be going to help all the yard care guys convert to electric.

I advised my son to stock up on basic maintenance parts for his Stihl chainsaw. When I was doing some work on my leaf blower, I found out Stihl does not make that easy to do.

Guys, California has an incredible amount going for it. Mountains, lakes, seashore, excellent weather, etc. Move here and vote so we can return to sanity.
If I moved there I'd be an instant felon no thanks. Or I would have to give up a lot of my collection and that's not gonna happen.

I should clarify there are tons of exceptions to this small motor ban. Things like stationary generators, larger chainsaws, farm equpment, construction equipment, etc. Outboards are not part of it.

If you put a trailer on a trailer it becomes cargo and there is no limit on that. I kept my boat and trailer on my car hauler and had my utility trailer too.

I live in Zion, IL. We are not allowed to park anything on the lawn. 2 winters ago I wanted to clear up some room in the back parking off the alley. I moved my flatbed trailer across the backyard to a sidewalk and put one tire on the sidewalk and the other was on the grass. I received a written warning that I would be ticketed and fined for it if I didn't move it. I jacked the trailer up and put a jackstand on the sidewalk supporting the axle so the tire was 2" above the ground. The Compliance Officer came back a week later and was going to issue me a ticket but my neighbor called me and said he was out there. I went out and asked him to show me what part was on the lawn and spun the wheel so he could see it wasn't on the lawn. He wasn't happy, but issued no ticket.

I live in Zion, IL. We are not allowed to park anything on the lawn. 2 winters ago I wanted to clear up some room in the back parking off the alley. I moved my flatbed trailer across the backyard to a sidewalk and put one tire on the sidewalk and the other was on the grass. I received a written warning that I would be ticketed and fined for it if I didn't move it. I jacked the trailer up and put a jackstand on the sidewalk supporting the axle so the tire was 2" above the ground. The Compliance Officer came back a week later and was going to issue me a ticket but my neighbor called me and said he was out there. I went out and asked him to show me what part was on the lawn and spun the wheel so he could see it wasn't on the lawn. He wasn't happy, but issued no ticket.
Good for you, I like to think I’d do something similar. I could never live where they have rules like that. A buddy of mine lives in a big home that has a homeowners association. He was not allowed to put his brand new 14’ tin boat and trailer in the gravel next to his garage. Has to have certain mailbox, keep lawn a certain way. Any home improvements need to go through the homeowners association etc, etc, He paid big bucks for the place that sits on a little over an acre. He’s the type that keeps his place immaculate regardless. I guess he knew what he was getting into. Not for me.

Good for you, I like to think I’d do something similar. I could never live where they have rules like that. A buddy of mine lives in a big home that has a homeowners association. He was not allowed to put his brand new 14’ tin boat and trailer in the gravel next to his garage. Has to have certain mailbox, keep lawn a certain way. Any home improvements need to go through the homeowners association etc, etc, He paid big bucks for the place that sits on a little over an acre. He’s the type that keeps his place immaculate regardless. I guess he knew what he was getting into. Not for me.

My HOA rules say boats & RVs have to be behind a gate. Everyone complies with that because we fortunately have big side yards. The other HOA rules are pretty much ignored. We are supposed to get approval on any changes that can be seen from the street. I think what they really want is a signed hold harmless and something in writing that needed permits will be pulled. My neighbors advised me to just ignore it -- and I do.

The city requires a permit for the removal of any tree over 6" diameter. I asked them about removing a large raggedy pine tree because the roots were pushing up my pavers. They said I couldn't get a permit without an arborist's report. So, I had the tree removed. Neighbor asked if I got a permit to remove the tree. You guessed it, I said "what tree?".