10ft Jon boat??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD746

Reaction score
Guys I just bought a 10ft Jon boat looking to use the boat on the Chattahoochee river near my house the area of the river I will be fishing is 1' - 6' deep ALOT of rocks few small shoals . I will only fish when the water is low and slow moving , do you think I can get away running a 55lb thrust trolling motor ? Don't really want to paddle or mess with a gas engine.

I don't know the water, but I know the boat. :shock:

Please be very careful on weight distribution; mine with a 3 hp evinrude and me in the back had the water about 2 inches from the gunwale. I cringed at anything larger than a ripple.

Put the battery up front, don't carry a lot of stuff, and wear a PFD, and the 55 will work fine; but honesttogawd watch yourself.

Have fun, be safe.

The river in the area where we plan to fish is not bad, it has a lot of bends and moves really slow, great place to kayak or tube and most of the time you have to paddle down stream due to such a slow current. No big boats can access due to the ramps are for kayak and canoe loaded and unloaded by hand. I have owned several boats but have decided to down size and make a super simple rig that can be easily loaded and unloaded . carry a few ultralite rods and min. Gear just relax and have fun.

Ironically, I was in a similar situation as yourself. Last year I had three tins in my fleet, including a Crestliner 1032. I used to fish all day on small rivers with a 55lbs thrust troller, it worked ok as long as you realize it is similar to fishing in a kayak as far as how the vessel will respond to your body movements. I never had anyone go with me, as it was basically used as my solo rig. I found it best to sit in the middle seat with a tiller extender made from PVC, and the battery up front. As far as stability, standing up is again, similar to that of standing in a kayak. The 55 will push you fine if there is basically no current as you describe, so i would not worry about that. Hope this helps, as I found it enjoyable experience and easy to maneuver for one person.

I have a 12 v bottom with a 36lb trolling motor and had the boat loaded to 550lbs. It moved us at a very nice clip On a small lake with 8-12 mph wind. It did almost as well as my 4hp motor that has not been reworked.