12 ft. sears flat bottom mod.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specknrebel

Reaction score
Hi all , this is the first of many pictures of my 12 ft jon boat. I am how ever sorry to say the first 4 pics i took of the boat before i started the sanding and the many coats of primer and etching are not on here b/c my camera didnt have the card in it. but here on it will. i hope you like the progress.

Attachments

• boat project 001.JPG
    boat project 001.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 2,980
  • boat project 002.JPG
    boat project 002.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 2,980
First step was a back breaking 6 hours of straight sanding....the yahoo who i bought the boat off of put what looked like roofing material on it which was peeling off and ugly to boot. [-X

i then added the etcher and 2 coats of marine primer, then what you see above, which is 2 layers of truck bedliner. i did alot of research on what to use on the bottom of my boat and though it would be economical and just as easy to do it this way rather than use steelflex which was my first choice by the way, but out of the budget. tomorrow ill flip her over and start on the inside if theres enough light left and if the rain allows me too.

well its day 2 of my boat project but its rained all the way from when i got off work till dark so i couldnt do anything, but i did do alittle figuring on the materials. im trying to keep this as light wieght as i can but still have the luxury of a floor and deck for a trolling motor and maybe a live well not sure yet. anyone have any ideas of what would be strong enough to hold a full grown man but yet be light enough my boat wont sink? thanks maybe i can get some time in tomorrow.

Always interested in how 12' projects. Will be following along as you progress. Looking good so far.

Question: How is that spray on truck liner doing for weight? Also, how is the flex properties of it on a full load. Questions that I am sure you haven't seen/tested yet, but it's a question for you, when you get there :)

Well im not sure on its flexability, but it doesnt wiegh that much. its about as light as much wallet after buying a couple cans of it..cost me 16 dollars a can..and i bought 4 cans. but i did some looking around on line and some people swear by it as far as ruggedness and impact resistance. im hoping they know what they are talking about.

oh and yeah ill def. be posting more pics.....i actually did some fiddling around with it after work today but nothing worth posting a pic with it. more tomorrow hopefully.

i had some time after work with no rain finally, so i set the board in the back for the motor and primed the inside.. the board in the back will be painted so i wasn't worried about the primer hitting it.

Attachments

• boat 006.JPG
    boat 006.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,790
  • boat 007.JPG
    boat 007.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 2,790
  • boat 008.JPG
    boat 008.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,790
i dont know why these pics keep showing up backwards in progress but anyways tomorrow is another coat of primer and then time to paint then maybe if theres enough time ill start the carpentry end of my project. well until then i hope you guys like this slow but sure progress.

got some more work done today. My boss gave me two 4 hp motors....he thought they were junk.. come to find out they just needed to a carb cleaning and fuel system flushing and they was alitle bit a water coming out of the spark plug holes..but shes running now.

finished sealing up around the plate here in the back....added new bolts and washers and all the jb weld lowes had lol.

Attachments

• boat 004.JPG
    boat 004.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 2,759
thats my buddy....me and him tore the carb apart and cleaned out the fuel system and she purs like a kitten.

Attachments

• boat 001.JPG
    boat 001.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 2,759
  • boat 002.JPG
    boat 002.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 2,759
Havent been able to do much with it lately as far as pictures b/c its been after work for maybe an hour and then usually it gets dark. but saturday is fast approaching. buddy of mine is bringing over a tapping set so we can tap a new size for the bolt on my fuel filter . the one thats on there was old and stipping letting air in , so whatever gas in the bowl was what kept the motor running, so as soon as we get that and an airbox the motor will be completely done and then i can finish up the carpentry portion of the boat.

Some of the capentry and carpet is laid all thats left is the deck the picture of the the carpentry on teh back seat will be added tomorrow , the boat is looking really nice. gonna add an anchor and pulley system for those days i fish by myself i can just unwind the front anchor from where im sitting. lots of extras are going on my little bass boat. not sure what im doing as far as seats yet wanna kinda keep it low to the boat , lol dont wanna tip it. decided not to put in a bait well , figured a 5 gallon bucket will suffice , and a cooler for the fish. i usually run out of bait fast anyways no sense in it if it wont be there for long. cant wait for speck season

Attachments

• boat 001.JPG
    boat 001.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 2,667
  • boat 002.JPG
    boat 002.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 2,667
  • boat 003.JPG
    boat 003.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 2,667
Looking good. Congrats on the progress, and the motors! =D>

Thanks, its raining today so ill have to drag it into the garage. supposed to be raining the next three days straight. #-o but ill get yelled at by the wifey but hell my boat will get done and ill be happy. buddy will be here in awhile to tap the fuel filter and get that issue resolved. look for more pics soon.

Do you think that the truck bed liner spray on the bottom of the boat will create too much drag? I need to do my 12' as well and was curious. I really like the idea to seal holes and what not, but am weary of the drag it'll create...

Well it might create some drag but this spay on stuff i bought is smoother than most of the roll on liner so it should be ok. i basically wanted something to hold its own against on the occasional stump and limbs.

Latest posts