12' Sears Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foulksey

Reaction score
I have a 12' Sears flat bottom jon boat and would ask if anyone has any info on these boats or ideas for mods to please respond. I dont know the year and couldnt even guess. The bottom is 32 inches and the beam is around 43 inches. While it is a simple boat the problem I have with it is I really want it quieter and most of my weight is in the rear right now (trolling motor, battery, and my 185 lbs). I just have a trolling motor for it right now but plan to add an engine soon. I do not know what the highest rating (for the motor) for this boat is so any advice would be helpful. Thought about moving my battery up front, putting plywood inbetween the two bench seats, possibly putting a casting deck on the front, putting the trolling motor up front, and putting carpet over the whole thing. Any other ideas to make it quieter would be helpful. Thought about rubber mat on the floor, putting a spray on bed liner inside of it, or just carpet the bottom but dont know what would be best. Thanks for any advice.

I have a 12' Ouachita, 36" wide. I would not recommend a casting deck. I believe this would make it very tipsy. On mine, I carpeted the three benches including the front and mounted two 7" pedestals with folding swivel seats. I mounted the trolling motor on the front and the battery in the rear (no outboard). I did not raise the floor or add carpet, because of the added weight factor. I may add some perforated rubber matting (available @ Lowe's) in the future.

Just my 2 cents
Ken

Foulksey I would go no larger that a 9.9 or 15 hp.(Same motor different carb.)No smaller than a 6 hp.I think the spray in bed liner will make your boat heavy.I'd go with the rubber matt on the floor.
I have a 1242 vee & most of the time I run a 15 hp but when I have to run a ways to a favorite fishing spot I'll put my 40 hp on & fly.40 hp weighs 118 lbs so the motors I suggested you should have no problems with.Just the bigger the motor you have to be more careful.Be safe & have fun.

Latest posts