1248 V bottom build - in Peoria

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejlarson

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am new to the site, and just bought a new 12 foot aluminum boat.
I have been reading for a while and am AMAZED with some of the builds here!
I want to mod it like some of you have by adding a platform in the front and rear, and putting telescopic seats in it.

My first question though, is related to seams.
The boat appears to be a 2 piece boat, with the two pieces riveted along the seam. It is very old according to the current owner.
I haven't even tested it for leaks, but before I go too far, I wanted to get some opinions on the BEST material to use in the seam itself to seal it up. I think after I seal it i will use Steelflex to coat the underside of the whole boat.

That is it for now, thanks for the GREAT resource on aluminum boats!

I will get some better pictures up soon.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat3.jpg

provided there aren't any big gaps between the seams, the steelflex should cure any leaky worries along the seam lines. Maybe just an extra lil bit dabbed along the seam prior to doin the entire area. And welcome to the club, I'm a misplaced neigbor of yours for the time being, grew up down the road in Browning/Bath

Thanks for the response neighbor! :lol:

I don't know if it even leaks yet, but the seams look good.

I was just thinking for overkill sake, fill any gap that may exist in the seams with the 5200 to make sure it stays bonded really well, and stop any stress (if there is any) on the old, old rivets.

Does anyone steelflex the inside of their boats? I have a seam on the inside too - obviously.

Also instead of carpeting I am considering this stuff on the wood platforms. Has anyone used it?

https://www.ultratuff.net/marineprod.htm - UTF-100F

Erik

I used 5200 along my bottom (interior side) on my 12' V where the seams meet and it's riveted. I had some slow leaks and none at all now.

Hi all!

I am going to get moving on this now, before fishing season gets going!

First question.

Does this motor height look correct? I am going to replace all the wood in the transom, so I need to know the optimal height before I start.

I added the red line with MS Paint and the red circle is where the water inlet is at on the other side of the motor.

2012-.jpg

ejlarson said:
Hi all!

I am going to get moving on this now, before fishing season gets going!

First question.

Does this motor height look correct? I am going to replace all the wood in the transom, so I need to know the optimal height before I start.

I added the red line with MS Paint and the red circle is where the water inlet is at on the other side of the motor.

Welcome back to your thread!

Yes, it looks like that motor is the correct height for that transom in that picture.

Bigkat650 said:
ejlarson said:
Welcome back to your thread!

Yes, it looks like that motor is the correct height for that transom in that picture.

Thanks! :)

Unless something drastic happens, I will have this thing beat into shape in the next month or two. I can hear the fish already! =D>