12ft early 70's jon boat... "Buckshot"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HELP!!!!! i think i may have found the answer to my prayers for a 9.9!? i need your advise on whether you would buy this motor or not and if so would you pay $250 for it?

here is what the seller says about the motor

"9.9 hp Johnson outboard for sale

Motor ran when it was put up, but has been in storage for quite sometime
cylinder will turn with some force put needs to be freed up
Tiller model, short shaft
You can get it running or use it for parts"

in addition i asked him if he thinks it will run with a little bit of work and he says that he is confident that if i clean the carb and soak the cylinder it will free up and run

here are a few pictures... rough shape but so is everything i buy before i get my hands on it! :)

tin motor1.jpg
tin motor.jpg
tin motor2.jpg

FINALLY!!!! someone else from VA! seriously... i am completely new to freshwater fishing in VA and am in desperate need of someone that knows where to go and what to use! my future father in law keeps his fishing holes (all of which are on base) to himself and i cant get on base anyways! id be down to go fish sometime just let me know!

as far as answering your question about my casting deck being stable.... i am somewhat of a smaller guy (5'7' and 170lbs) and i feel confident on my casting deck! but i also am a surfer and balance and I get along pretty good? lol... i would say put on a deck that is removable and see how it feels for you!

hit me up sometime if you wanna fish! [email protected][/quote]

thanks for the advice on the deck man. i put one on mine yesterday.(pics on my thread) took it out today for thirty minutes to see if i like it and i must say i feel more stable standing on the deck than standing on the hull itself. now to find some carpet. might be the best mod i have done.

so i was all set on buying that 1974 johnson 9.9 listed above but the guy didnt respond to my phone calls or texts today so i figured he was blowing me off and sold it to someone else?

found this one tonight ... its a 1983 and the pistons arent seized but it doesnt run either? he says he bought it from a good friend and used it for a few months but then got busy and it sat for a month and now it wont start? he says he let it sit with gas in the carbs and he thinks that cleaning the carbs will make it run again.... here is his listing:

"I have a short shaft 83 evenrude outboard motor with a stainless steel prop, 300dlrs firm. Runs good but cant seem to get it to start. Hasnt been started in a while and may need to clean the carburator."

tin motor3.jpg
tin motor4.jpg

the outside is ugly but under the hood looks clean?

oh ya... and the original guy from the 1974 texted me back finally and still has the motor! lol... so if you had to choose between the two which one would you choose? the newer one that the pistons arent seized on or the older one thats only $50 cheaper?

obviously the newer one that isn't seized up. It it really simple to pull a carb take it apart, clean & rebuild it. The rebuild kits are really cheap too.

moberg12 said:
obviously the newer one that isn't seized up. It it really simple to pull a carb take it apart, clean & rebuild it. The rebuild kits are really cheap too.

thats what i am thinking also... cleaning/rebuilding a carb doesnt scare me ive done that before several times... i just am a little concerned that after sitting for only a month that it doesnt start? my motorcycle sits for months on end sometimes and she still starts up? to me it sounds a little fishy? but i still think for $300 i should be able to track down any electrical or fuel related problem and get it running!

talked to the guy tonight and its all set up for this saturday! so unless something changes i will be part of the johnson/evinrude family! :)

I agree with your choice.

You will be a very happy camper.

Decals are relatively inexpensive and there's a thread by ?Johny? about painting inexpensively.

There's just not that much that needs work on the old 2 strokes...coils, points, condensor, plugs and plug wires...and the carb. Other stuff is mostly maintenance material.

Best wishes.

It WILL be heavier on that 12ftr. Get ready to rearrange your weight distribution.

:)

inlovewithsurfin said:
i just am a little concerned that after sitting for only a month that it doesnt start? my motorcycle sits for months on end sometimes and she still starts up? to me it sounds a little fishy?

These old outboards don't like to sit, especially with ethanol gas. If you have to run ethanol make sure to treat it with sta-bill marine ethanol treatment. It would be even better to not run ethanol at all. You should be able to search online for gas stations near you that still have non-ethanol gas.

When I bought my 30hp rude it would start but wouldn't idle and then stalled. I rebuilt the carb and it ran like a champ. The 40 Yamaha I just bought wouldn't start when I got it, I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and now it runs awesome. My pops has a late 80"s Tohatsu that wasn't running right, guess what fixed it??

ok... so the old ESKA is sold!!! got exactly what i was asking for it and enough to buy the Evinrude 9.9 tomorrow night! the guy is using my ESKA on a 10ft plastic bassfisher so it will be perfect for him! even might have made a fishing buddy out of the deal!? i cant wait to pick up the new motor! ill be sure to keep you all posted on the motor rebuild process...

moberg12 said:
These old outboards don't like to sit, especially with ethanol gas. If you have to run ethanol make sure to treat it with sta-bill marine ethanol treatment. It would be even better to not run ethanol at all. You should be able to search online for gas stations near you that still have non-ethanol gas.

When I bought my 30hp rude it would start but wouldn't idle and then stalled. I rebuilt the carb and it ran like a champ. The 40 Yamaha I just bought wouldn't start when I got it, I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and now it runs awesome. My pops has a late 80"s Tohatsu that wasn't running right, guess what fixed it??

well i cant wait to rebuild the carb and listen to her roar! better yet... i cant wait to fly on the water! :) maybe ill be lucky and a little sea foam in the gas will solve the problem? worked on my motorcycle!

Kismet said:
I agree with your choice.

You will be a very happy camper.

Decals are relatively inexpensive and there's a thread by ?Johny? about painting inexpensively.

There's just not that much that needs work on the old 2 strokes...coils, points, condensor, plugs and plug wires...and the carb. Other stuff is mostly maintenance material.

Best wishes.

It WILL be heavier on that 12ftr. Get ready to rearrange your weight distribution.

:)

i am planning on relocating the battery (which weighs 60lbs) so hopefully that will be enough? you wouldnt by any chance have a link for the thread about inexpensively painting an outboard would you? cause that has my name ALL over it! haha

Kismet said:
There's just not that much that needs work on the old 2 strokes...coils, points, condensor, plugs and plug wires...and the carb.
i think this one has CDI, which is more reliable than keterring ignition (points and condenser). but if the power pack breaks down, like what happened to mine (ran good then suddenly won't). there's no way to repair it and replacement is the only fix. average cost is $300-100 (depends on whether new or used and OEM or replacement), lucky i found a new OEM for $40. so check the spark, haggle if no spark. no spark doesn't automatically mean busted CDI but you can't know until you test everything.

motors need these things to run: spark, combustion and fuel/air..... when buying a dead motor you must be sure there is good spark and combustion. that will mean the problem is somewhere in the fuel /air (usually the carb), which is relatively simple to fix.

well everyone... got a couple of new additions! :) i guess a new build thread will be coming soon...

picked these up last night!!!

new3.jpg
new2.jpg
new1.jpg
new.jpg

so now i have an Evinrude 9.9 and an 84 Delhi 1430! cant wait to start working on them!!!

...and in the shadowy cavern, wherein the incarnation of TinBoat addiction quietly goes about his business, a throaty chuckle filters out from the depths, as the sound of the clicking of ivory counters marks the gathering of yet another soul.

"Sooo easy," says the wraith, "and a young one too. I'll have him in my ranks for many years. He'll always find just 'one more' which will make life better."

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(edit: one of Johny25's posts on painting: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26166&p=270253&hilit=paint+johnson#p270253 )

NICE!!! I just picked up a 14' a few weeks ago myself and sold my 12. Cool, now I can work alongside your mod. Ive been stripping the boat here and there when I can. Had the original paint but it was worn. The PO had carpeted the benches so I wanted to get all that glue off. So far so good. Look forward to your next mod...and CONGRATS

thank you all!!! im pretty excited to get this build going. i need to sell my other boat for some funds though... right now i am going to focus on getting to outboard running. did a little playing around with it today and couldnt get it to start. i half expected that but was hoping to get lucky lol... ive got a carb kit and fuel filter/pump on order and discovered a few things wrong with the engine. i checked for spark and was able to get spark on the bottom spark plug but not on the top one? so i am thinking there is a bad coil? i need to check resistance on the coils and see if that is the case? anyone ever had this same problem? i feel strongly that after i fix the spark issue the engine should fire right up!

i noticed the tiller arm has gears that are slipping and not making a good connection for the throttle? i have heard this is a common problem but will buying a new tiller arm solve the problem? is there a way to fix the problem without buying a new arm?

also there are some things missing on the mount/tilt? the tilt pin is not there at all and there are several springs just hanging loose and i dont see a tilt lock anywhere? can anyone send me a couple pictures of their johnson/evinrude so i can see what i am missing?

my model # is E10RCNS which makes it a 1982

here is my tilt/mounting bracket
new4.jpg
new5.jpg

Latest posts