12ft early 70's jon boat... "Buckshot"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok... so a little update. Buckshot now has a new owner as of today! i believe she went to a good home. a guy bought it for him and his son to fish the lake in his backyard. he seemed very pleased with his new boat!

i still have the trailer and now have the 1430 sitting on it just waiting on me to start modifying! :) i have been waiting to sell buckshot first before i start work and also have been waiting on a few parts for the evinrude 9.9 to get it running. so hopefully this weekend the motor will be running and work will commence on the boat!

all that being said... there is a 91 Lowe 14 WIDE with trailer, 15hp johnson, bow mount trolling motor, trailer, and some carpet/decks for $500 on CL right now!!!!! the guy only has his email to respond to so i am desperately waiting for him to call me! the wait sucks.... this would be the absolute perfect boat for me and my fiance to go fishing with! i would still do a little work to the 1430 and sell it as a total package for someone else to enjoy. i have all fingers and toes crossed and have been praying non stop that this guy calls me and says to come get the boat! ill keep you posted...

here is the boat i am hoping to get!

14wide.jpg
14wide1.jpg

Surfin:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! That's a good find for $500. I was able to snag a 77 Lowe 1632 w/ 9.8 hp and trailer in good condition for 700, so I'm sure youre chomping the finger nails. Good luck!

Hey man, I love your project. It's simple but yet pretty awesome. =D> The swimming pool test was hilarious. :LOL2: HAHA! Anyway, I bought a very similar boat to yours. 12' long 32" wide. My intentions are to build some decking on it soon as well and place higher pedestals, but of course, being a noob, you're not gonna run into problems until you start reading about what you purchased on other forums :( . Just a question, I noticed your pedestals are about 7" tall right and your seats bring you up about another 3-4"? Does it create an uncomfortable "balancing act" for you when you're out on your boat and fishing? I know bringing up your center of gravity may cause issues, but wasn't sure how bad till I read a forum discussing a boat similar to ours. I'm willing to settle for lower pedestals, seats and a decking similar to yours, but just wanted to know what your experience has been like. There's a guy on tinboats that has a sweet setup on his jon boat decked out and all, but he has a 14' jonny, which i've read is the recommended size for decking as long as floor is minimum 36" wide. Here's a pick of my current project. Just getting the paint stripped. I intend on bed lining the bottom.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/displayimage.php?pid=3483

Oh and two more questions. How did you secure your seat posts to the benches and did you use any kind of support under your casting deck? I think your first bench is closer to the front of the boat than mine is, so I could see why you might not have.

@ ntbarone:

thank you!!! i loved that boat it was a great little boat and perfect for pond/lake fishing! i had my doubt about how stable it was going to be but in the end i wouldnt have done anything different to it! i kept the front deck as low as possible by setting it just on top of the front two seats and after all the added weight somehow the boat seemed more stable! the casting deck was a pleasure to fish off of too! no stability problems with me, my fiance, outboard and all fishing gear. it was heavy as hell though! lol... i would say for you (your boat is actually wider than mine was) 7in pedistals will be just fine.

(how i secured my pedistals) i cut out 1/2in plywood in the shape of the top of the bench, carpeted it, and used 1 and 1/2in self tapping screws to attatch the plywood to the bench and used the same screws to attatch the pedistals to the plywood and bench. there was 10 screws total. 4 in the pedistal and 6 in the plywood.

(support under my casting deck) originally i didnt think i would need any extra support? the 1/2in plywood held my weight just fine. but overnight the plywood warped and curled? so i too a couple 1x's and screwed them to the bottom across the width of the plywood. then i decided to cut a hatch in the casting deck and was worried about it weakening the floor. so i used 2x4's and built a square around the hole i cut out and fastened it to the bottom of the plywood. no problems with support at all! i even had my friend who weighs 220lbs standing up there without any issues.

cant wait to see how your boat turns out! let me know how the bed liner goes! i want to do that to my new boat.

Awesome man! Thanks for the reply brotha. I will definately keep you posted and will be uploading more pics as soon as I can get a break from school. Far as the bedliner, I hear it wasn't the greatest idea due to potential drag, but then another dude responded on this post I was reading saying basically, "it's a jon boat, not a speed boat". I too don't plan on going too fast in a jon boat even after I add the 9horse johnson im gettin for it, and it's not like the boat will have rocks in the bed liner. :LOL2: lol. I put some thought into it, but my boat's gonna last after going that option. I'm trying to find out if I need to prime the underside of the boat prior to rolling on the bedliner since it's aluminum and I'm debating whether I go to walmart and get the rustoleom bedliner kit or get something more expensive. Will keep posted! :mrgreen:

...And another question. When you added the 7hp motor to your 12'er and you sat to drive your boat, how secure did the seating feel? I know, I'm probably being ridiculous, but in my head, the worst could happen. LOL. The seats were solid after you tapped them into the benches right? I mean it's probably ridiculous of me to ask, but I would figure the seating could get loose while the weight of the passenger is pulled back from maybe goin 15mph or so. No looseness after? I mean 10 tap screws should be enough so secure a seat right? LOL :LOL2: . Yes, I'm a noob. =D>

ntbarone said:
...And another question. When you added the 7hp motor to your 12'er and you sat to drive your boat, how secure did the seating feel? I know, I'm probably being ridiculous, but in my head, the worst could happen. LOL. The seats were solid after you tapped them into the benches right? I mean it's probably ridiculous of me to ask, but I would figure the seating could get loose while the weight of the passenger is pulled back from maybe goin 15mph or so. No looseness after? I mean 10 tap screws should be enough so secure a seat right? LOL :LOL2: . Yes, I'm a noob. =D>

as far as the priming before bedliner... i would say yes you should prime but i am not an expert on that? i typically just scuff up the surface, clean it, and then paint on top of that.

and for your question about the seats... well originally i only used 1in self tapping screws and they werent long enough to get more than a couple threads into the metal of the bench seat and they did pull out a bit. so i went with the longer screws and everything was fine. i cant answer about how it felt going 15mph cause that little 7hp wouldnt push me more than 5mph! lol... there were secure enough for me! i didnt use the smallest diameter screws though? i went with pretty thick screws to give as much surface area as possible to grab. i would say you can try it the way i did it and if it doesnt work for you then you really didnt screw anything up? :)

do you know how much that rustoleum bedliner kit from walmart cost? and does it come in other colors besides black? i may have to look into that! i am wanting to bedline the bottom of the inside of my boat.

good luck in whatever you decide to do to your boat! the first one is always trial and error! :)

Hey man! So here's the Rustoleum kit from Wallyworld. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-1gal-Kit-Pro-Grade-Truck-Bed/17203476?findingMethod=rr
Anywho, I haven't seen multi colors, but maybe you can paint over it after applying the rusto kit with something that won't peel off as easy. I plan on putting a flooring similar to yours of plywood, along with the decking and plywood on the benches, but im gonna water seal everything and bedliner it for grip that way I can hose everything down incase it gets all grimey after fishing, and paint the decking a contrasting grey to the boats black lining. Im also gonna leave the railing on the boat a polished aluminum so it could look pretty sexy. You'll see my finished product in a couple months hopefully dude.

ntbarone said:
Hey man! So here's the Rustoleum kit from Wallyworld. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-1gal-Kit-Pro-Grade-Truck-Bed/17203476?findingMethod=rr
Anywho, I haven't seen multi colors, but maybe you can paint over it after applying the rusto kit with something that won't peel off as easy. I plan on putting a flooring similar to yours of plywood, along with the decking and plywood on the benches, but im gonna water seal everything and bedliner it for grip that way I can hose everything down incase it gets all grimey after fishing, and paint the decking a contrasting grey to the boats black lining. Im also gonna leave the railing on the boat a polished aluminum so it could look pretty sexy. You'll see my finished product in a couple months hopefully dude.

A COUPLE OF MONTHS!? you need to work faster than that! :)

HAHA! Trust me Im tryin. Just calling it a couple of months just to be safe. I might have it done in less than a month realistically. I just started up on it again. Finally flipped it over to start strippin and sandin the underside. so far so good that even the paint stripper getting on my hands feels good. :D

Fricken psyched man! Can't wait for this crap to cure so I can flip it and get the rest done!
Check out my album! https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/displayimage.php?pid=3505

ntbarone said:
Fricken psyched man! Can't wait for this crap to cure so I can flip it and get the rest done!
Check out my album! https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/displayimage.php?pid=3505

looks great!!! is that the herculiner?

Nah, it's the Rustoleum bedliner kit from walmart. It's not as gritty as herculiner, but I'm pretty happy with it. Just did it today. Gotta let it cure for a good week. Gonna flip it over when done and repeat the process on the inside, then start the decking.

Juat bought a 1976 Ouachita Jon Boat-Aluminum, 14'.

I got the trailer, (not boat trailer, but is now) Boat, 2 Trolling motors, for $300.00
So far, I have had the boat for about 3 weeks and have done work on it everyday since I got it.
Now, I'm looking to do the same as you. Whats the price difference? I can only imagine it will be considerably considering it's Wally World...don't get me wrong, I'm a regular shopper myself, but am worried about the quality and how long it will last. A couple of years should suffice as I will eventually move to a larger boat.

ouachita2012 said:
Juat bought a 1976 Ouachita Jon Boat-Aluminum, 14'.

I got the trailer, (not boat trailer, but is now) Boat, 2 Trolling motors, for $300.00
So far, I have had the boat for about 3 weeks and have done work on it everyday since I got it.
Now, I'm looking to do the same as you. Whats the price difference? I can only imagine it will be considerably considering it's Wally World...don't get me wrong, I'm a regular shopper myself, but am worried about the quality and how long it will last. A couple of years should suffice as I will eventually move to a larger boat.

sounds like you got a great deal! show us some pictures!!! what is it that you are wanting to do to your boat?

inlovewithsurfin said:
joseph101088 said:
great job on the decks. was wondering if that twelve was stable while standing on the casting deck? its seems like its always windy on harwood mills over here in newport news. dont know if i want to deck mine.

FINALLY!!!! someone else from VA! seriously... i am completely new to freshwater fishing in VA and am in desperate need of someone that knows where to go and what to use! my future father in law keeps his fishing holes (all of which are on base) to himself and i cant get on base anyways! id be down to go fish sometime just let me know!

as far as answering your question about my casting deck being stable.... i am somewhat of a smaller guy (5'7' and 170lbs) and i feel confident on my casting deck! but i also am a surfer and balance and I get along pretty good? lol... i would say put on a deck that is removable and see how it feels for you!

hit me up sometime if you wanna fish! [email protected]
I was looking through your thread and realized I'm allowed on base if you ever wanna go we should plan something

Latest posts