12ft early 70's jon boat... "Buckshot"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't but I hear there are striper right off Langley at certain times and ft eustis has some good catfish spots

Boat looks great man and you should take a look at the build i got going and i found a gamefisher 7.5 hp outboard for 150 what do you think?

I know this thread is kinda old but in looking around for advice on modifying jon boats this one popped up on google and man this was a good find, ive gone through all of your builds and each one has given me lots of good ideas on how I can modify my new 1436 alumacraft I just got a few days ago, I just had one question though, what process did you go through to prep the boat for painting and what kind of paint did you use?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362641#p362641 said:
BigGroupofTrees » Today, 18:43[/url]"]I know this thread is kinda old but in looking around for advice on modifying jon boats this one popped up on google and man this was a good find, ive gone through all of your builds and each one has given me lots of good ideas on how I can modify my new 1436 alumacraft I just got a few days ago, I just had one question though, what process did you go through to prep the boat for painting and what kind of paint did you use?

there are a lot better ways to paint than how i did and a lot better paints to use... but what i did was pressure wash the boat real good and then used a scotch brite pad or 800-1000 grit sand paper and scuffed up the boat... then i rinsed and let the boat dry before spraying the boat with rustoleum spray paint. it scuffs easily and gets scratched up but you can just hit the scratched part with spray paint real quick and its like new again. hope this helps and good luck with your build! 1436 is a good boat to start with!

thanks for the info!! haven't gotten around to painting it yet just because it seems like its going to take forever so I've just been putting it off haha. I have however finished my front deck and put chairs on the front and back and just picked up a trailer for it yesterday, slowly but surely it's coming together, on your lowe 1436 you had at one point what engine did you feel do best for it with the deck and everything you had on it? I'm in the process now of trying to find an outboard and wonder what size would be good.