14' Aroliner conversion (more pic's)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just built the battery box and internal support structure for the front. I am waiting for the oil based paint to dry on the wood parts before installing. I will take a few more pics when I have it installed next week.

Here are the pictures of the front battery box and support structure. I built the box with 1/2" MDO and Engineered I Beams (Scraps I had around the shop). The I beams are light weight and support alot of weight. The aluminum is 1" x 1/8" angle. The front box area will allow for two batteries to be installed. The other boxed area's will be flotation cells. I had black oil base paint so that is what I used to seal all of the wood. After I bolt this down I think I am going to spay a little foam under the edges of the box just to fill the void, leaving a center channel for drainage. I am thinking of placing an aluminum sheet inside the bottom of the battery box and drilling a 2" hole in the base for a clean-out.

Attachments

• _MG_4407.jpg
    _MG_4407.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3,169
  • IMG_4403.jpg
    IMG_4403.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3,169
  • IMG_4404.jpg
    IMG_4404.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 3,169
I have the front frame bolted in and I am thinking now that maybe I would like to make a rod locker on one or both sides. Any idea's on this would be welcomed :?: . I would want them to be 8' long.

Rod lockers can be a real space waster on smaller boats.. just a thought

edit: Sorry for making my 1000th post unhelpful and basically worthless... :|

Thanks for the comments. I have a couple of 7' one piece fishing rods and only a 6' box on my truck so I thought that I could carry them on the boat without someone thieving them when I stop anywhere.

And I do appreciate all of your comments.

Installed the two batteries, planning the wiring. I have to purchase the circut breaker and move the fuse box up beside the battery box. Going to BPS this weekend and picking up the foot control for the trolling motor and the rear seat mounts. I may place two, one offest and one centered still not sure if this is a waste though.

Here are a few more pics and the progress that I have made. The batteries are now installed and all primary wiring is completed. I have installed a 60 amp maxi fuse for the trolling motor. I have also run an additional wire for the sonar and placed a rear fuse holder. I have cut the middle seat for the tackle center and will be placing plywood over the front and center seats. I also have the access hatch for the battery compartment.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• _MG_4409.jpg
    _MG_4409.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,257
  • _MG_4410.jpg
    _MG_4410.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,257
  • _MG_4411.jpg
    _MG_4411.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,257
  • _MG_4412.jpg
    _MG_4412.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,257
  • _MG_4413.jpg
    _MG_4413.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,257
I completed all of the under supports this weekend and I am starting the decking this week. I will post more pics when the front deck is in place.

I have completed the decking and will post some pics tonight. All I need to do is seal some of the wood. I also need to find a source for a few recessed latches. I need two lockable and two non-locking. I know BPS carries these but they are pricey. Does anyone have any idea's where I can get these. :?:

Since I have a lot into this project I need to cut a few corners where I can.

Thanks

Here are a few pictures of the progress I have made

Attachments

• _MG_4414.jpg
    _MG_4414.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,166
  • _MG_4415.jpg
    _MG_4415.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,166
  • _MG_4416.jpg
    _MG_4416.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,166
I have everything carpeted now and have just a few more items to complete. I will take a few pictures in the next few days and will post these.

Items to complete;
Locks for the rod storage area.
Wire the trolling motor plug.
Pull the wheels and hubs and re-pack the bearings.
Make and install the spare tire holder.
Make and install the side bunks.
Make and install trolling motor hold downs.
Install the fish finder transducer bracket.

I really like how you did the front deck and rod locker. Looks good. I might just copy cat that.

How exactly did you mount the floor between the back bench and the front deck? I'm toying with exactly how I want to do this.

I installed 1" x 1" x 1/8" aluminum angle along the benches at the bottom and cut the wood to sit on those rails. I also cut a few 2"x4"s to the contour the bottom and screwed those to the board before I carpeted the floor. I was able to place the floor in before I placed the rear seat deck. I have thought about screwing the board to the angle but I am not sure if I need to.

Here is a few picture of the boat that is almost done. I need to try to adjust the back seat about 4 -6" more. I need to pick up one more seat post and cut it down. has anyone done this before. I am using the springfield king pine mounts. Also I need to come up with a trolling motor hold down and clamp.

Attachments

• _MG_4425.jpg
    _MG_4425.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,119
  • _MG_4426.jpg
    _MG_4426.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,119
  • _MG_4421.jpg
    _MG_4421.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,119
  • _MG_4423.jpg
    _MG_4423.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,119
  • _MG_4422.jpg
    _MG_4422.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,119
I have now installed the shortened rear seat post and completed the rear side bunks. Hopefully first of next week I can get the wheel bearings packed and lights checked out. I also hope to put it into the water next week and checkout how it sits in the water and make sure all of the old leaks do not reappear.

still need to put locks on the rod locker, place a tie-down for the trolling motor, walk plank on the trailer and make and install the spare tire rack.

Latest posts