14' Flat Bottom Jon Boat Sea Nymph Modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who pooted? - that is a great name!

The hatches came from https://www.rnrd.com/mpa.main.html# (R&R Designs)
They are awesome and very easy to install. They are the exact hatches you can buy at like Cabelas but MUCH cheaper. Very Nice design, also very strong. Their standard size is the 12X22, which I believe they have in stock.
Keep in mind that they are a little slow in delivering, so order with plenty of time. $65 on the standard and $85 on the custom 14 X 44 battery hatch.

Read a couple of posts up and remember that when you are installing, FIND SOMEONE WITH A ROUTER. It was 1000% easier having a router to carve the hatches flush into the decking, especially plywood. Any place where the wood doesnt match perfect, fill in with a liquid wood putty...it worked awesome!

Good luck and email me your boat pics - did you just get started. Do you have a post on this site? If so forward it to me.

All FINISHED!!! Clarkster 2000 and I put the final finishing touches on the boat today. Finished the decking for the front trolling motor, ran the rest of the electrical, put the fuel line around the boat for finishing touches etc. Glad to be complete, it was a great project to do this winter. NOW I AM READY TO FISH THIS VESSEL! Thanks to Clarkster for all of the help!

Take a look at the final pictures!

Attachments

• final_fuelline.jpg
    final_fuelline.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 875
  • final_trollingmotormount.jpg
    final_trollingmotormount.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 877
  • final2.jpg
    final2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 877
  • final3.jpg
    final3.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 878
  • finalfront.jpg
    finalfront.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 878
more pics

Attachments

• final_wholeboat.jpg
    final_wholeboat.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 873
  • final_wholeboat2.jpg
    final_wholeboat2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 872
  • final_wholeboat3.jpg
    final_wholeboat3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 874
I got this Old, run down, dilapidated, ramshackled, shabby, neglected, badly maintained, in ill repair, horrifying, piece or manuere and look at it now... Glad to put this baby back on the lakes, MANY fish were caught off this baby in the past, many more to come!

Excellent job, dumb question though. How wide is the boat? Plan on doing anything about anchors?

Basshole, I've been watching this thread, and you have done a great job, everything looks fantastic, but I think you are wrong about something. You said it was finished. I think you will find that you are never through tinkering with it. you will find a number of things you wish were different, and later on you will decide to make improvements. I thought mine was "finished" a long time ago, then decided to paint it, then decided to cover the back, then decided to add shark's teeth, and now I am in the process of moving my battery forward to redistribute the weight for more speed. I don't think it will ever end. :shock:

SP- The old gal looks great. I am so happy that you decided to buy the boat and refurbish it. You and Clark did a great job. I wish you many 5 pounders.

Man your boat looks fantastic.

I am just getting ideas ready to do a 14' Lowes Jon and really like how you did the hatch work.

I have read the posts and looked a the pics, located the router and am ready to go once I get the thing painted.

Question: What is the process for the install on the hatches. I have looked at the supplier but am not sure what you purchased ( no pricing or sizes) and not sure what to use for the storage container all 48 qt Coolers?

If you could explain the complete process in detail it would be great. Ie What you secured the storage container too, if you put any sealer between the hatch etc - I am trying to figure out how to do it.

Thanks for your pics you did a great job.

Drackk - Boston :D

Awesome job. I didn't see it mentioned, but where did you get those hatches and how much did you pay? If you don't mind revealing. They look sweet as hell.

Drackk said:
Man your boat looks fantastic.

I am just getting ideas ready to do a 14' Lowes Jon and really like how you did the hatch work.

I have read the posts and looked a the pics, located the router and am ready to go once I get the thing painted.

Question: What is the process for the install on the hatches. I have looked at the supplier but am not sure what you purchased ( no pricing or sizes) and not sure what to use for the storage container all 48 qt Coolers?

If you could explain the complete process in detail it would be great. Ie What you secured the storage container too, if you put any sealer between the hatch etc - I am trying to figure out how to do it.

Thanks for your pics you did a great job.

Drackk - Boston :D

Drackk - Great question. We got the hatches from https://www.rnrd.com/mpa.main.html# R & R designs online. They are the same hatches you can get at Cabelas or Bass Pro but much cheaper. The standard size was I believe 12x22 and the custom hatch in the middle was 14x44 but you can get any of them custom, just a little bit more in price. They do great work but take a little time to get to you so order early so you are not waiting.

We used coolers for the back two storage units and we tied them in with 2x2's and liquid nails pretty easily just box the entire cooler in on the sides and butt it up to the top of your deck...just take off the lid first.

Routing is simple. Just get a standard bit and measure the width of the actual aluminum and take an extra piece of plywood and practice until you have the right width and depth...should take ten minutes to get a guage. Just make sure they are flush. If you need any more help call me anytime at 410.925.5810

Shawn

ober51 said:
Awesome job. I didn't see it mentioned, but where did you get those hatches and how much did you pay? If you don't mind revealing. They look sweet as hell.

Hatches came from : https://www.rnrd.com/mpa.main.html#

They do great work, just order well ahead of time, they worked perfectly. Thanks for the kind words.

Great looking job on that boat. I just bought a Sea Nymph, 1983, just like yours. Do you know what size motor that boat is rated for? The info plate in mine isn't legible. If you know shoot me a reply. Thanks guys. Again, great job on the Sea Nympho!