14' Flat Bottom Jon Boat Sea Nymph Modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, we must of practically been neighbors at one time. I used to live in cockeysville! Dated a girl in Jacksonville and fished Loch Raven many a time. I may give you a call when the time comes. I'm in the middle of stripping paint right now. Does your buddy have an hourly rate?

Call me tomorrow and I can get you his number. Come up and fish sometime too with all of us. We have a small bass club Reservoir Anglers of MD about 8-10 ppl. How do you like it out west. Good places to fish out there too?

Basshole said:
Call me tomorrow and I can get you his number. Come up and fish sometime too with all of us. We have a small bass club Reservoir Anglers of MD about 8-10 ppl. How do you like it out west. Good places to fish out there too?

Sounds good, I'll give you a call. Yeah, there are some great places to fish mostly private ponds. The Potomac up here can be hit or miss. Seems to be fished out the last couple of years. But, I've found there seems to be a three year turn around from good to bad fishing. By the way I'm restoring and moding a Nympho my self!

Paint looks great. Is that paint considered a "bottom" paint? Reason I ask is I noticed you used the paint to cover the boat completely externally. Have heard that using bottom paint to cover the entire boat is not recommended, but cannot remeber the reasoning. Has anyone every heard of this?

Love your color!

Buck

Boat is looking great SP. It has came along way since early phases. I certainly think we can get all the framing and electric done this weekend. Paint looks amazing. I like the name too. I will have the hatches ordered today. Hopefully they will put a rush order in for us.

There was one guy earlier asking about the batteries? We fish in electric only lakes. This boat wil be rigged for a minnkota 36 volt 101 and a 45lb minnkota 12 volt up front. We will also be adding a battery to work the electronics, livewell, bilge, radio, lights etc...

This site has been a huge help with the planning phase of this boat!! Basshole and myself appreciate the help!!!!!!!!!!! More pics to follow.

Buck43
Check out the whole post, basshole listed the company that deals the paint. The website is very helpful and the guys that work there are extremely helpful. We searched high and low for this stuff and its awesome. The primer and paint combo really looks great. Not all that expensive either. Its strictly an aluminum boat paint for the entire boat. Its worth checking out the website. We should be in major build phase this weekend, more pics to come.

Just an fyi for you builders looking for nice hatches. Go to https://www.rnrd.com/ ask for Robert Rabel. They actually make the aluminum hatches as seen in cabelas but they do custom work for very reasonable prices. They are about $20 cheaper on eaach hatch then cabelas and they are very fast at getting them to you. I have them on my boat and have ordered them for this boat. I order the normal 6- 12"X22" and 1 custom 14" X 44". Should be a nice fit for this boat. We are using a combination of various builds from this website to assist us. I am expecting a top notch rig when all is said and done.

Basshole said:
Cheeseball - we would like to get a trip together for a potomac smally trip with helgramites.

Sounds good to me! I would have called you today, but I forgot that I committed to volunteering at the local cold weather shelter after work. I'll try to give you a call tomorrow and we will set something up.

I prefer "The Sea Nympho", formly Sabonator. Second would be CComeon Clark the trailer is fine. Along with the trailer, dont forget those new seats. The seats were an upgrade two years ago. Top of the line Big Man seats. I cant help that some fishing partners decided to make lounge chairs out of them. My suggestion would be to double reinforce the back seat brackets. A second thought would be to make sure that CC has taken his back medication hence preventing the need for lounging. I really like the idea of the cooler storage. You can find all kinds of good stuff on the lake that you could bring home to your daughter. I have brought home tackle boxes and really nice buckets. My kids love it.

Basshole and I worked on the boat mods all weekend. We framed the whole thing and started to run some electronics. We are awaiting our carpet shipment, that is our hold up at this point. Im hoping it will be here today?!!! As soon as that gets here we can place and wire the 5 batteries, rear 36 volt motor, lights, charger, bilge, etc... We probably have about 4 to 5 hours left before we can start on the deck. Overall I would say that it is turning extremely well. We will probably post pics early next week. Stay tuned.

Carpet came in on St Patty's day so Clarkster 2000 and I did a little heavy construction...ok ok it was more glueing and stapling then anything. Our cuts without the carpeting laid down perfectly. We decided to go with two coolers in the back - 48 quart seemed to fit perfectly. We are going for the effect of being in an offshore boat and opening a hatch into a stark white compartment. Really turned out good. The hatch opening will be a little smaller then the opening of the cooler and the nozzles will remain open all of the time for proper drainage to the bilge.

The entire floor is complete and carpeted. Seat mounts are built, coolers are locking in with LED lights inside, bilge is epoxyed on, battery area has been carpeted on the sides and bottom/mounted and battery trays mounted as well, on board charger is installed...WE ARE ROCKING

I will upload pics today for your review.
What I learned on the build is that it pays to have the right tools, the right friends and an open attitude to using other peoples ideas!

Gotta love that color! Was thinking about painting my entire boat also. Great job! I am in Frederick MD, used to fish them resevoirs all the time Liberty, Prettyboy, Loch Raven, 4 batteries ain't gonna cut it! :wink:

Ok here are the pics. Framed out using the seats as a base with 2x2 pressure treated lumber and simpson aluminum strong ties as brackets with out door coated screws.

Attachments

• framed1.jpg
    framed1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 891
  • framed2.jpg
    framed2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 893
  • framed3.jpg
    framed3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 892
  • framed4.jpg
    framed4.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 892
  • framed5.jpg
    framed5.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 892
These pics have the flush mounted coolers which was a hybrid idea from Clarkster 2000 and myself to simulate offshore hatches. The hatches will be a bit smaller then the actual coolers so they will look stark white inside when you open them. Notice that we ran lights to both coolers as well. The drain hole will stay open all of the time to allow for constant drainage on the cooler side and the other cooler for now will be plain storage for lures etc.

Attachments

• framed6.jpg
    framed6.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 888
  • framed7.jpg
    framed7.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 888
  • framed8.jpg
    framed8.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 888
Man that alot of work ...looks good.
Pressure treated wood?
Leaving the drain plug out all the time?
Was wondering if you could explain the plug thing.

Latest posts