14' Starcraft Semi-V project. Update Progress Pics 9-5-10

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a marking on the hull, it is a small plate, on the underside of the cap at the front of the bow, it reads "/29/N" tried a google search, any body have any idea?

100_2079.jpg

Everyone, if you have a 14' aluminum v-bottom that looks something like mine go look and see if you have this marking on your hull please!

EDIT:I am almost certain that I have identified my hull. I'm pretty much convinced it is a starcraft, 1960's era, it probably started its life out as something very similar to this:
1962starcraftjet.jpg

Update: Trailer is as finished as its going to get right now. I got some overspray on it while painting the hull but its just going to have to stay for the summer.

I did lots of sanding, spent lots of time with a wire brush, and still need to do a little more on the interior, but the hull is painted. I wiped the hull with acetone and then I primed the entire exterior with 1.5-2 coats of spray can self etching primer. The exterior has 4 coats of parker coatings duck boat paint in hunter green and the interior has one, sprayed on with a wagner sprayer. Worked awesome.

Note on the primer: I used both duplicolor and rustoleum self etching primer, and have to recommend the rustoleum. It provided much better coverage, the duplicolor is very thin and will run if you spray it on half as thick as the rustoleum, I might have gotten some bad cans of duplicolor or something but basically it was far inferior to the rustoleum in my opinion.

Note on Parker coatings duck boat paint: I bought a gallon for like 33 plus shipping and four coats on the exterior, one on the interior have over a 1/4 gallon left. Note this is by spraying.

I plan on doing some more finish work to the inside of the hull then brushing/rolling on another coat or two.

Here are some before pics, some progress pics, and pictures of how it sits right now:
100_2036-Copy.jpg

100_2037.jpg

100_2039.jpg

100_2040.jpg

100_2042.jpg

100_2043.jpg

100_2044.jpg

100_2046.jpg

100_2047.jpg

100_2067.jpg

100_2068.jpg

100_2070.jpg

0324101432.jpg

0323101927.jpg

Those last few were some I snapped with my phone.

100_2071.jpg

100_2072.jpg

100_2073.jpg

100_2074.jpg

100_2075.jpg

100_2076.jpg

Next up: Finish painting the hull interior as noted, then get a floor in this thing. Both of my motors are at the mechanics getting a tune up, should be back pretty soon.

Floor:
I searched the site and didn't even find a mention of advantech which surprised me a little, but I have three sheets of it and I'm going to be the guinea pig and use it to build my floors out of. I think it is really good stuff and I'm pretty confident it will last a very long time. This stuff is nothing like osb, don't let it fool you. Check out www.advantechperforms.com
i-test-moisture.jpg

i-test-edge.jpg

i-test-stiffness.jpg

i-test-strength.jpg

I'm running low on funds so a floor might be all it gets right now. I already have the advantech, the carpet, and 8 treated 2x2's so we will se how far that gets me.

EDIT: I have realized since I bought treated 2x2's that they will corrode the aluminum. Mistake #3

It seems like I haven't been getting anything done, my budget has slowed things down a bit (my original budget for the whole project is long gone, and I can afford to spend about $40 a week on it is all), but everything is starting to come together now. I'm going to go pick up my 40hp from the shop tomorrow or the next day. I decided to carpet the bow cover as well as the top of the splash well on each side.
100_2081.jpg

Also you can see that I mounted navigation lights and some running lights. I swear that bow nav light is not crooked either it sure looks it in the picture though.

For running lights I just picked up a set of "driving lights" at the local big box store for about 18 bucks. I am thinking about getting another set to use as interior lights, mounting one fore and one aft facing each other and pointing kinda downwards. Those LED strips sure are slick but expensive, stuff like that adds up in a hurry. What do you guys think?

100_2082.jpg

I went ahead and sprung for some nicer numbers for my registration, and I highly recommend going this route, makes a big difference, I personally really like the way it came out, I think it looks pretty slick, an extra $3 probably won't make this much of a difference almost anywhere else I would say.

100_2080.jpg

For a little overview, I cut the pieces for the floor out of the advantech. The floor is three sections but I only used two sheets. This was not an easy task as the floor pieces that were in the boat when I got it where not done too well so I decided not to use them as templates.
100_2083.jpg

Tip: If you are going to cut a floor for a similar V type boat, don't even mess with a jigsaw when cutting your curves, your likely to end up with a nasty cut. What I did was I took width measurements every foot, then I marked these on the advantech panels. Then I just connected the dots, sketching the best curve I could, and i'm no artist. Then I just took the power tools to it! I'll admit I made my first main cut with a jigsaw and oh man was it ugly, so i moved in about an inch and tried again, this time with the circular saw, and the result was beauty. It is difficult to curve a circular saw, but it can be done if you just go slow, but this inherent property also helps prevent you from making a wavy cut, resulting in a surprisingly nice, smooth curve in my case at least. Also the advantech is super hard, much more difficult to cut than plywood.
100_2084.jpg

The advantech has tongue and groove so I wanted to take advantage of this. So I hammered my sections together and then used a couple 2x2's to fasten them together on the bottom. I carpeted it as one big section, I used a trowel to spread outdoor carpet glue and then just laid the carpet on. Turned out very nice and smooth. I let it set up, then I flipped it, trimmed the carpet, and used staples (the kind you hammer in) to tack the bottom.
100_2085.jpg

I would rather have done it a different way, but because of how the floor sits in the boat, and wanting to utilize the tongue and groove, this seemed like a good idea. It is a bear though.
and of course I had to hook up the running lights just to see now that it is dark. No flash, from the front and then from inside the boat looking out.
100B2090.jpg

100B2100.jpg

100B2110.jpg

You're doing a really great job.

I can't wait to see the end result.

Keep the good work going !

100_2120.jpg

100_2122.jpg

100_2123.jpg

Put some EPS under the floor for flotation, I am planning on adding more flotation foam. I only got a little over 5.4 cubic feet under there I figure, which equates to about 320lbs of flotation. https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/backyardboatbuilders.pdf At least it will sink a little slower now! I glued all the pieces together with foam board glue.
100_2125.jpg

I had to make sure to leave clearance for the 2x2's. The floor rests directly on top of that aluminum center support.
100_2126.jpg

100_2127.jpg

I also installed some seats :lol:
100_2128.jpg

Looks great, but I have a question. How did you fasten the floor down to the hull? I ask, because if the floor just sits in place without fasteners, all that flotation foam will not help float the hull.

Henry Hefner said:
Looks great, but I have a question. How did you fasten the floor down to the hull? I ask, because if the floor just sits in place without fasteners, all that flotation foam will not help float the hull.

First off, I'd like to start out by saying that I love the teeth on your rig, and the probability that I copy-cat you on that is pretty high. I already bought the paint actually, that is too cool.

Good question, and good eye, because I haven't yet. The floor fits in there very snug, it is really nice and solid, but I am going to use some screws and screw it into the ribs on the edges in a few places along the length of the hull and also in the center to that beam which is riveted to the ribs. I still have things to put under it like the wiring harness for the 40hp as well as steering and controls for the 40. I have done basically everything by myself but I got the chance to sucker someone into helping me get the floor in the boat today, so I took advantage of that. I can lift up one side and prop it up by myself to do all of that stuff.

Oh yeah, just for good measure, and since I had a couple of gallons laying around already, I put some thompsons water seal on the advantech. One thin coat just like the directions say, really probably overkill. If anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask.

I am overall really happy that I went with the advantech. It is 3/4 so that might be a little overkill, but since I am doing this in pieces, with everything you see here up to when you see a pic of it on the water the first piece of the build, I'll make the flat floor work for now, and eventually I will be building decks. And that floor is solid, I mean solid, It is going to make building decks so much easier, it is going to be a great base. I am already thinking about decks, livewell, etc. I plan to use the sheet of advantech I have left over for the tops of the decks, framing with 2x2's, and using some thinner plywood, 3/8 or something, whatever I find a good price on and looks good, to "skin" anything.

I thought this was pretty slick, starcraft decals:
100_2130.jpg

100_2129.jpg

This is what I have for steering, I think I am going to have to buy a whole new system, including transom support mount, I'm not exactly sure how everything goes though. I don't have the clamp block.
100_2131.jpg

My 7.5hp Johnson is still inoperable, and I'm still waiting on parts to finish connecting the steering for the 40hp, so I could only use my new trolling motor(this is a 10hp limited lake), a Minn Kota Edge 45lb Thrust 12v bow mount.
100_2190.jpg

100_2185.jpg

100_2186.jpg

100_2188.jpg

Wake from trolling motor at full throttle. Scoots along pretty good.
100_2191.jpg

Looks good. I have one question for ya, how did you attach the lawn chair to your floor? Did you us JB Weld or some #14 SS screws? :lol: Just kidding, but seriously looks good.

:lol: Decks seats and pedestals coming eventually, but I made sure to take a picture of it, it worked pretty well, comfy too! Keeping it classy!

Finally got everything hooked up and working, and finally spent a day on the water. Took a few videos while moving from spot to spot for your viewing pleasure which you will find below.

First off though, when I bought the boat, it came "with controls and steering" but it wasn't hooked up but laying on the floor "disconnected for painting, they just need to be hooked back up." Well turns out not exactly the case. Second, as I have never owned a console steer boat before and only driven been in big brand new factory built everything is hidden and I wasn't paying attention anyways boats I did not know exactly how everything went. As I was trying to figure this all out I had trouble finding information and pictures, maybe its just so easy no one ever thought to explain everything of take pictures.

I ended up buying a new helm and steering cable (teleflex safe-t quick connect it was the cheapest) and a new link arm (T&R marine mercury 60-120hp). Then I built a bracket out of aluminum angle 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/8 to connect the link arm to the motor. I need to buy new control cables (shorter) here in the near future but that is for another payday! Feel free to ask questions but here are pics:

had this:
100_2131.jpg

was like what?
bought a new steering cable (old one was way too long and didn't work well at all)
100_2179.jpg

100_2180.jpg

100_2181.jpg

hmm...
and ended up like this:
100_2211.jpg

100_2210.jpg

100_2209.jpg

100_2212.jpg

100_2208.jpg

EDIT: got a chance to take some more/better videos and moved videos to a different host so new video post below.

Alright well I have had the boat out about 7 or 8 times now and I took some videos on two occasions. Well I will start with the first three I took, all on backwaters and creeks that feed into the ohio river in northern kentucky. In the second set you will notice I got a little better at driving and recording! Also, in the second set of videos I there was more weight on board and distributed differently, as a result I think I need to trim the motor out another notch with the added weight/different distribution. Will experiment tomorrow probably if I have time between catching fish.

Here goes with the first set of videos:
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/IaK4y2rgBwg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/IaK4y2rgBwg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
just cruising down the creek.

Throwing down the throttle here:
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/AEt4OrBVNpg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/AEt4OrBVNpg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
and some more footage:
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/wRTlMmb-MAc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/wRTlMmb-MAc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Alright, here is the second set of videos:
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/TkjUFCfUBes&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/TkjUFCfUBes&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Headed out onto the ohio river:
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/MClAUF8FnHA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/MClAUF8FnHA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

More video on the river that day:
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/JknUrpKJOXQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/JknUrpKJOXQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
You guys see the difference in the wake i'm talking about, still haven't gps'd it but will very soon, but it feels slower with the added equipment (second battery, second trolling motor, more misc fishing gear) and a bigger cooler of beer, not to mention my ~80+ lbs dog moving all around as she pleases probably doesn't help. Just from the feel of it, sound of the motor, and change in the wake I'm guessing trimming it out a little more might get me back closer to how it was running in the first set of videos, faster with the relatively flat wake way behind the boat.? Am I just thinking or what? I'm a newbee when it comes to stuff like that for sure so i would like to know if im on the right track or not, or if there is a track to go on at all? Anyways feedback appreciated hope you all enjoyed.