1436 Fuel Tank Location

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFTDJEEP426

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a lot of the weight out of the rear of the boat and want to build a small deck on the front of the boat. Do any of you see any issues with putting the fuel tank in the front of the boat under the deck?

any thoughts?

You should build the decking and try the boat out before you decide to move the tank. You may find that once the decking is in you won't need to move the tank.

BaitCaster said:
You should build the decking and try the boat out before you decide to move the tank. You may find that once the decking is in you won't need to move the tank.

X2.... The deck is going to add weight....

LFTDJEEP426 said:
I'm trying to get a lot of the weight out of the rear of the boat and want to build a small deck on the front of the boat. Do any of you see any issues with putting the fuel tank in the front of the boat under the deck?

any thoughts?

When I did my 1236 I wanted to get the gas away from me and in the front. Initially I tested this by screwing a piece of plywood to the floor in front and temporarily mounting both the battery and fuel tank there. When I tested it the weight distribution was good but after the weight of the deck was added it was too front-heavy. I left the gas tank in front and moved the battery to the back and then it was fine. Be mindful of gas fumes under an enclosed deck and be sure to vent it. Here's what I did with mine...https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9712

This is how I put a 12 gallon tank under the front deck on my 1436.

Attachments

• IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_5432.JPG
    IMG_5432.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_5430.JPG
    IMG_5430.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_5429.JPG
    IMG_5429.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,481
I think I already know the answer to this, but would the extended length of the fuel line pose any problems for the motor? I'm pretty sure it would not, but I'm trying to pull from someone's experience here. I have a 1436 and am fixing to build a small front deck to at least house the battery for my boat, but have been toying around the idea with putting the gas tank up there as well. it would require a bit more work on my part, but this is a duck hunting boat and not haviong a gas tank in the way/showing off its glorious red color would be nice. thoughts...

Sorry I was not trying to Hi-jack your post......

I have had no problems with fuel getting from the tank up front to the motor. I bought a 25' reel of 3/8" fuel line on ebay. With shipping it was less than I could get 15' locally.

My tank's in front. Battery in back. I like it that way. Keeps the front down but doesn't plow. Added a deck and still all good. My tank is overkill. The most I've had in there is 7 gal. Did fine with one person and 3 people. If I'm running fast, the people will be moved back. I'm putting in framing for a flat floor which will be 3/4 plywood temporarily for a trial. Plan to use aluminum sheet for the final build. I know my boat's a bit different, but I don't think you'll have a problem with a 6 gal. tank up there. Good point on the venting. Be careful with that. Looks like lckstckn2smknbrls did a nice job keeping the fumes out with the cap-vented tank. Permanent tanks are vented by a hose that goes to a vent out the side of the hull. If you go that route, be careful. You can get water in the gas if you don't put a loop in the hose or use a special vent like a P trap to prevent water going in. I speak with the voice of experience from 10 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico. I used the P trap type on my tin (just posted a pic of that). 5/8" is the standard hose size for those thru-hull vents. O'Reilly had the best deal on 5/8" fuel line ($1.49/ft), or you can get it from West for $5.79/ft :LMFAO:.

I built a deck in the front of my 14 with the battery in the front and i think the tank in the front would be too heavy. May want to try a it befor instaling it.

Latest posts