Battery venting?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilby

Reaction score
Yesterday I went and bought two new group 27 batteries. (lead acid) I plan on putting them basically midships on my boat to help with weight distribution as there will be a group 31, 14 gal gas tank, onboard charger, livewell plus the outboard all in the back already. Plan is to build a box or compartment for them. That compartment will then also be used as a step up to the front deck. Do I need to consider putting a vent of some sort on the battery compartment?

I would say "Yes", especially since you are charging them within that confined space. Some type of louvered vent on one side.

Ok. So basically as long as there is any type of vent? Because it will also be used as a step, it will be lower than the deck so would not be catching any fresh air while on the water, and obviously nothing happening while parked and charging. I will look for something then that will at least allow some air circulation. Thank you!

Many home stores carry metal perforated with designs. Cut a good sized oval or other shape into one side and put the metal grill behind it. Looks good and will allow air to circulate. Most boat builders use similar setups when they build their boats.

Good idea. When I read your advice I thought about 2" round soffit vents.

I ended up getting some 2" round vents with louvers and screens on them. I will put one one each upper corner. Should allow enough ventilation for batteries. At least while charging

Latest posts