Lithium Battery Question - 50AH LiFeP04 for a 55# thrust Minn Kota?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I found saves a lot of power is turning the switch to the Livescope off when not being used. I think that black box uses quite a bit.

So I can speak on the Dakota 60ah dual purpose. 1 year of use and it started giving me trouble, i worked with them to troubleshoot remotely and then they said to return it. They shipped me a brand new one because the old one kept tripping internally and would only reset by being put back on Dakota 14.4 wall charger. New battery is fine- no issues. I have a relion lifepo4 50ah deep cycle that has been flawless from get go. 8 hrs pulling my boat with two anglers fiahing for musky in NY rivers… charges back up in 1.5 hours. Dakota and Relion have been good options for me with more power, light weight, fast charge times and Dakota backed up the product when there was a problem. I run these in three boats: Towee Calusa Pro 16’ shallow water skiff, Gheenoe 15’4” highsider and an old starcraft 14.5’ AL boat with casting platforms added. All run minn kota 55lb bow mount TM’s with iPilot control and Garmin Fishfinders with sode scan and chartplotters.

So I can speak on the Dakota 60ah dual purpose. 1 year of use and it started giving me trouble, i worked with them to troubleshoot remotely and then they said to return it. They shipped me a brand new one because the old one kept tripping internally and would only reset by being put back on Dakota 14.4 wall charger. New battery is fine- no issues. I have a relion lifepo4 50ah deep cycle that has been flawless from get go. 8 hrs pulling my boat with two anglers fiahing for musky in NY rivers… charges back up in 1.5 hours. Dakota and Relion have been good options for me with more power, light weight, fast charge times and Dakota backed up the product when there was a problem. I run these in three boats: Towee Calusa Pro 16’ shallow water skiff, Gheenoe 15’4” highsider and an old starcraft 14.5’ AL boat with casting platforms added. All run minn kota 55lb bow mount TM’s with iPilot control and Garmin Fishfinders with sode scan and chartplotters.
That is a good warranty story!

FYI - The TimeUSB battery and amazon charger have been flawless so far, and I haven't even come close to running it out yet.

I guess time will tell. I want to get a 2nd one so I can get rid of the pair of group 29 batteries weighing down my CC's bow.

Well, it's been 6 weeks, and not much to say, except that the TimeUSB 100 AH battery has been flawless. I've run and run the battery, and can't seem to use it enough to make much of a dent in it's capacity, at least not in a day or two of use. Most of the time, it's recharged in an hour.

This thing is pretty amazing. VERY good purchase!

The Time USB 100AH batteries went on sale again for $249. I'm super happy with mine. I guess my boat is so light the MinnKota never breaks a sweat, because the batteries barely even notice an afternoon of use. Charge back to 100% in minutes, not hours.

I am super, super happy with these things!
Yeah same here on my Ionic 50, there were some who doubted these batteries would work for trolling motors but they certainly do. My TM is a 12v Terrova and when we fish for six or seven hours it’s still around 90% full.

That's pretty cool. Much lighter batteries, too, which means something in lightweight tin boats.

I almost went with one or a pair of 50's but the price on these was the same or less than many, so I got the 100 AH.

I was late to the party, but I'm a lithium fan now.

That's pretty cool. Much lighter batteries, too, which means something in lightweight tin boats.

I almost went with one or a pair of 50's but the price on these was the same or less than many, so I got the 100 AH.

Yes, picked up three mph on my 9.9 just because of weight savings over two lead acid batts.

My theory is two batteries wired together. The reason is if a battery fails, and they do, you can still get home. The amp hours are how much run time you have nothing to do with power, that's voltage. I fish electric only reservoir's so I have an 24 volt electric out board a Ulterra bow mounted trolling motor and various electronic gadgets + I have electric steer and trim on the outboard I use 2 48 volt batteries for running of the outboard and two 12 volt for the gadgets and steering/trim. The Ulterra is a 24 volt and I have 2 12volts that run it. If something goes wrong with a battery I can still stow the Ulterra with the gadget batteries. All this may sound over kill but my Grizzly is not made for paddling and stowing the Ulterra manually is not desired. The outboard will run fine on a single 48 volt just not as long same with the gadgets.

Im going to really show my ignorance here. I have tried to understand the lithium thing and just cant quite figure it out. Of course last year I bought all new lead batteries for my jon and plastic boat. I know how to fiqure out how much run time I have with a lead battery but dont understand the "equation" for lithiium. If it has the same AH how does it last longer and how do you figure how long it will last with the amps you are pulling. Next time I will go with lithium just for the purpose of weight but if I can figure out if I can run 2 trolling motors and my electronics on one battery that would be awesome

Im going to really show my ignorance here. I have tried to understand the lithium thing and just cant quite figure it out. Of course last year I bought all new lead batteries for my jon and plastic boat. I know how to fiqure out how much run time I have with a lead battery but dont understand the "equation" for lithiium. If it has the same AH how does it last longer and how do you figure how long it will last with the amps you are pulling. Next time I will go with lithium just for the purpose of weight but if I can figure out if I can run 2 trolling motors and my electronics on one battery that would be awesome

I had a similar question in another thread starting at about post #80 or #81 in the link below:

https://www.tinboats.net/threads/lithium-battery-worth-the-expense.50307/

A lead battery of 105 AH is down to 10V about halfway through the AH. Depending on what you are running, that may be okay, or maybe not. A LiFeP04 battery will stay at over 12V until it gives the full AH. So, depending on what your current draw is, yes, it may outperform the lead acid batteries that have a higher rating Mine certainly do for my Minn Kota 55 and 70 TM's. It's not even a contest.

Convinced! I have been powering electronics only 100ah LifePO4 in each Jon (2) graphs and accessories, in both boats. I really wanted to test TM old 24v Motor Guide 70# ;so I combined my (2) 100ah and purchased a 50ah for the electronics. The weight savings was obvious, runtime never got below 80% on TM after a full run on the river. I did however balance those batteries for about 14 hours in parallel alone, prior to connecting in series for TM.

An amp hour is an amp hour no matter the source, voltage is what the individual motor requires, again same difference. The reason Lithium batteries run longer is simply the make up and how the batteries respond to the drain of power. A lead acid if run down past 50% causes a reduction in the life of the battery, the more it's discharged the shorter it's life. The lithium battery can be run down 80% or more depending on the manufacturer's recommendation. That is why they claim they run longer the other advantage is for electronics there is hardly any voltage drop, unlike the lead acids. The main disadvantage is, unless you keep an eye on the run time and power drain there is zero warning of run down. Your motor will not slow down it will just stop.