14ft V Lund

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTord03

Reaction score
Hey guys somewhat new to the site and just started my first conversion. I started this evening on stripping the paint down with some aircraft remover. I know its not a big start but its a start. Any input would be great. Thanks I apologize if the pictures arent good

Attachments

• IMG00259-20111016-1933.jpg
    IMG00259-20111016-1933.jpg
    680.5 KB · Views: 3,098
  • IMG00260-20111016-1933.jpg
    IMG00260-20111016-1933.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 3,098
Got all of the paint removed. Now i cant decide if i want to steelflex the outside or keep the tin look. Ill get pictures up later today

Heres some pictures with all of the paint off of it. I think it looks alot better without paint. Hopefully next weekend i can start work on the inside.

Attachments

• IMG00273-20111023-1651.jpg
    IMG00273-20111023-1651.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 2,961
  • IMG00274-20111023-1651.jpg
    IMG00274-20111023-1651.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 2,961
Looks mighty good "in the white". I would have trouble deciding to paint it too, even though I just did mine! If you can keep it that good looking without paint, I'd call it quits! :mrgreen:

MTord03 said:
Heres some pictures with all of the paint off of it. I think it looks alot better without paint. Hopefully next weekend i can start work on the inside.

Looks good!! What technique did you use to apply the aircraft remover? I've had issues with the vertical panels not getting it on there good with a paint brush.

We had to do multiple coats of the remover. I also used a paint brush but after we scraped the paint off there was still a little bit of primer left underneath of it and so we just used a sanding block to remove the rest. Im not sure but i think it was a 150 grit sanding block. It worked out pretty well. And then after that we wet sanded it and shined it right up. Good luck on your project!

Hi MT
Looks real nice,
How much remover did you go thru?

Thanks

I went through about 1.5 quarts. I would definitely recommend using eye and mouth protection as the aircraft remover is very strong and burns the skin haha.

MTord03 said:
I went through about 1.5 quarts. I would definitely recommend using eye and mouth protection as the aircraft remover is very strong and burns the skin haha.

LOL, I've used almost 3 GALLONS!! There was three coats of paint, and one was VERY THICK! That's the inside too.

I think id like to do the steelflex but i dont know alot about it. What exactly does it do? And what colors does it come in?

Hey ive been thinking of removing the metal seats in my boat. What would be the best way to do so? Drilling out and replacing rivits?

I went ahead and removed the front seat to pound out a dent that was under it and I have started to install new pop rivets and the heads on the rivets don't flatten out all the way. Is that how its suppose to be? Thanks

Hey guys its been awhile but ive been able to make some progress on the boat. I started out by rubbing the boat down with some mineral spirits and followed by sealing the bottom side of the boat with 3M's 5200. Not bad of a product to work with except I noticed it took forever to cure. I primed the boat using the rustoleum self-etching primer. I did 3 coats of that and thought that was enough. I got the first coat of paint on this weekend. I wasnt so sure about the colors at first but they are starting to grow on me. I used the interlux seattle grey for the bottom side and then went with a black for the top. Im hoping ill have enough time this week to get the final coats of paint on it. Once that is all complete ill be able to tackle the inside starting with the transom.