15 evinrude???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
A guy down the road from me has a 80,s evirude 15hp short shaft for sale. It hasn,t been ran in 6 months but ran well before stored. He hasnt tried to start it but has it for sale at $175. Should I run or what should I check about it? Thanks,Brian.

Definately check it out. If it runs, it is worth at least twice that around here.
Those 80s-90s Evinrude/Johnson 9.9/15s are some of the best small 2 stroke outboards ever made. Some say they are the best.
Tons of parts out there, easy to work on and darn near indestructible.

Up here by me it would bring at least 6 to 700 dollars.Take compression test, see if it has spark & if all test good(gears are good) bring cash & by it.

I agree with Carl, those are great engines. If it runs I would buy on the spot, if not here's what I would do:
1) Check compression in both cyllinders, 90 lbs+ and within 10% of each other
2) Check for spark ($6 tool from Autozone)

This will give you an idea of how much you are going to need to spend to get it running.
Good compression but no spark could mean, worse case, that you will need to rebuild the ignition system. It's easier than it sounds.
Good compression and good spark but no start proly means a carb rebuild and a fuel pump rebuild, $50 and a little of your time will do it all.
I would also plane on replacing the water pump impeller.

For $175 I would buy it if the compression is good, even if I had to rebuild the ignition system, carb, fuel pump and water pump. That motor has a lot of years left in her.

I just got back from looking at the motor. Very clean looking motor,good compression. I pulled a plug and turned it over great spark. Bought it for $160. Brought it home hooked to tank and it fired on the third pull! I think I did OK. I will run in water tank tommorow then change lower unit oil and possibly water pump. I couldnt find a serial number the plate appears to have fallen off long ago. Is there another number somewhere? Thanks for the help,Brian.

There should be a freeze plug with the model/serial on it, somewhere on the powerhead. Sometimes they are easy to find, and sometimes, they are hidden.

The somewhere for the freeze plug is a 25 cent size soft plug in the upper rear RH side of the block. The model & year are stamped in this soft plug also but probably only up to 1979.

I found the plug and it is E15RC1S. I think its an 1981 model? Not sure though. Thanks,Brian.

Latest posts