15 hp johnson problem help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevefire05

Reaction score
My 15 hp Johnson is running great, it cranks right up but after running down the lake a little bit it will die, pump the bulb on the fuel line it will fire up and run again, then die after a little run down the lake, if i keep pressure on the bulb it will do fine, help and ideas?????????????

You have and air leak in the fuel line some where or the vent on the tank is shut.It could be the connectors at the engine or tank also.

Sounds to me like your fuel pump is bad.Get a rebuild kit,cheapest way to go.(around $14)If you chose to rebuild it let me warn you there are a couple very small parts & springs inside & you have to exactly put everything back together right or it will not work.I'll see if I can find the link that has an exploed view of it.

I had the same problem with my 9.9 earlier. turned out to be the primer bulb. Check the hoses, tighten or replace clamps. look for the obvious & cheapest fix first.

I would say it is one of the two problems suggested by others: Bad buld/air leaking into your fuel line or bad fuel pump.
There is also the possibility of a water in your fuel.

Is there a diaphram in the engine that will cause the fuel not to be sucked into the carb? I remember my friend having to replace his but that was in a Nissan 15hp. To get the boat to run, he had to continually pump the bulb or it would die..

my pos sears motor has that diaphram. when it gets a hole in it most of the fuel blow's directly into the crank causeing the same symptoms as yours. im not sure if your motor has the same setup though