16' Fiberglass "Model Unknown"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Action, glad to hear that you did not have any problems with your new boat and trailer on the way home. Looking at your set up on the axles I wouldn't think you would. My concern is you do not know what condition those bearings and races are in. My advice is to remove and inspect, then clean or replace,(both races and bearings) Repack and keep up the maintenance according to to amount of trips you make to the water. Just frindly advice. Luck!

I hear you bigwave... so far I have gotten some really good advice from some really good guys and gals! I actually did help someone out the other day from advice that I got from someone else so a little dose of pay it forward :D Its to **** cold out today for me to try the wire cup brush method but it is supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow so I will be doing just that, plus I have my hand wrapped up because all of the constant prying yesterday I got a quarter size blister in my palm that just popped so yea... just a bit of "hardening" for my "girly soft" hands... Shhh don't tell anyone LOL :lol: Thanks Brazos more good advise. I had planned on doing just that. I need to get the boat to a point that I can take it off of the trailer and set the trailer on some jack stands so I can take them apart and look at them. I may just replace to know what is what, we will see. But I will definitely take a few pictures so I can see from the more experienced because I know nothing about the bearings. Oh and whats the race? Anyway off for now the wife wants me to help with dinner.

0130503_1

Bearing parts are termed "cup and cone".

What most people call the bearing is the cone. It is comprised of an inner race, the tapered bearings and the bearing cage.

The race is what the bearing runs in and is the cup. It would be more correctly called the outer race vice just "the race".

Together, they are the wheel bearing assembly.

;)

Here you go bigwave :lol: I hope the question comes up in a thread that I am looking through so I can give the same advice you gave me about the wire cup brush. This is what it looks like after the wire cup brush got a hold of it. Looks great and talk about easy!!! It only took me about 15 minutes to get it out. I still had to pry the wood out and with the middle support it seemed to be in there pretty good so I took my chisel and hit it from the side to get the large piece out. Out side of that it was a breeze. Thanks again!! :lol:
Here are the pics showing the cleaned surfaces ready for the new transom.
Right
Resized46_zps96a47a03.jpg

Middle
Resized45_zps1801f219.jpg

Left
Resized47_zps620f1562.jpg

Center shot of all three
Resized48_zps27e8f78d.jpg

I go back to work this week so I will not be posting pics but on the weekends. It is also supposed to rain ALL week hear so there will be no working on my boat since it is outside. Ill post more pics with the progress when I can.

Hey Action, have you made any more progress? It looks like you are off to a great start with this glass boat. I am not far from reviving my thread and continuing the build. How is the hand/wrist?