16 foot starcraft build.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abaddon

Reaction score
Been looking at this site since I decided to buy a boat and I found one I think I will be able to work with. It came with some old seats that were bolted to some old rotten wood. Took it out after I bought it, the 35 hourse started right up though and got me on a plane pretty fast, which supprised my brother a bit because he was sitting on one of those old chairs and as the boat tilted so did he until *crack* he just kept tilting to the floor. That center console is pretty uncomforatable. I was thinking about moving it off to the side like bass boats are setup. Is it hard to adjust the stearing throttle and gear shift? Im thinking that all I am really going to have to do with moving the benching around is take out the bench that is connected to the console.

DSCF0043.JPG

DSCF0044.JPG

DSCF0045.JPG

DSCF0046.JPG

DSCF0047.JPG

And my first mate.

DSCF0049.JPG

Thats one awesome setup you got there! You have a lot to work with. I really like the center console. Keep us updated!

With the long weekend I will be starting this bad boy. I have a few questions though.

1. What do you guys use to fill holes? There is a spot where the previous owner mounter a kicker motor mount. Additionally the gunwales have some holes in them I am really not sure what went there in the past.
2. Are you guys just using normal plywood for your floors?
3. How do suggest I secure the floors to the boat?

Thanks for any replies I appreciate it.

Abaddon said:
With the long weekend I will be starting this bad boy. I have a few questions though.

1. What do you guys use to fill holes? There is a spot where the previous owner mounter a kicker motor mount. Additionally the gunwales have some holes in them I am really not sure what went there in the past.

1) I used JB Weld to fill holes on my boat, worked great. Just don't use on a spot where there is too much stress (weld along rib seam). Apply in two or more coats, sand smooth and paint.
2) Exterioir grade plywood coated with spar urethane or paint. No treated wood!
3) Rivet/screw to rib or fabricated frame.

Nice boat, the 35 looks like it's in great shape (at least on the outside).

Ictalurus said:
Abaddon said:

1) I used JB Weld to fill holes on my boat, worked great. Just don't use on a spot where there is too much stress (weld along rib seam). Apply in two or more coats, sand smooth and paint.

I think its in pretty good shape for a 1978. It looks pretty clean on the inside. It does stall when at idle though, I think they just messed with the throttle so they could use it to troll. Im going going to idle it up and use a happy troller though.

Another question about the decking. I plan on carpeting it, and I notice a lot of guys carpeting it prior to installation. Do I just carpet it and then secure it to the frame or should I carpet it after it is secured? Seems a little weird to put the screws in over the carpet if there is a way to avoid it.

Abaddon said:
Ictalurus said:
Abaddon said:

I think its in pretty good shape for a 1978. It looks pretty clean on the inside. It does stall when at idle though, I think they just messed with the throttle so they could use it to troll. Im going going to idle it up and use a happy troller though.

Another question about the decking. I plan on carpeting it, and I notice a lot of guys carpeting it prior to installation. Do I just carpet it and then secure it to the frame or should I carpet it after it is secured? Seems a little weird to put the screws in over the carpet if there is a way to avoid it.

When you carpet it, you will be wrapping the carpet around the ends, so you sort of have to carpet it first if you want a good clean look to it. IMO

Well, I guess that long weekend turned into a 3 year break:)

I decided to pull all of the seats out and add a beam across the top for stability. It still seems it could use something for more stability. Any suggestions?

unnamed.jpg
unnamed2.jpg

I also welded all the holes closed.

unnamed3.jpg

Next I need to build the floor, and im building a box up front and one in the back for the gas, since this is going to be trolling for walleye I decided I just want the whole thing open and I will be adding pedestal seats.

Yeah, I just went out and looked again and there is definitely some twist in the hull, I know adding a floor will help but now I am thinking about adding a gunwale around the whole of the boat and attaching some more supports via aluminum angle.

sonny.barile said:
Your dog looks like he's smiling. Little ham :D

He was a little ham unfortunately he has passed away since I started this. He has a successor though who is more inclined to board moving objects. I ride him into battle.

crush.JPG

On another note anyone have any suggestions for pin pedestal seats?

Abaddon said:
Yeah, I just went out and looked again and there is definitely some twist in the hull, I know adding a floor will help but now I am thinking about adding a gunwale around the whole of the boat and attaching some more supports via aluminum angle.

Most boats have "twist". If you saw how they are actually constructed, it would really be obvious. as to why this happens. It's origami with sheet aluminum really.

That being said. I'd deck from gunwale to gunwale just the front 3 feet of the boat. That will stiffen a lot of it up.

Nice Starcraft. Whatever you do please get the control box closer to the helm! How are you going to configure the deck, seating?

Latest posts