16' Lowe Line

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caveman I apreciate the input. As I have only seen 2" foam used on some of our job sites so I didn't know for sure if there was 1 1/2". I think I am going to just go the pink foam way. That stuff is 3/4" thick and I can just double it up to make 1 1/2". Save myself some headaches. Oh and for everyone else I have a picture a buddy e-mailed me of the test run with the pods.

Attachments

• action.jpg
    action.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,261
Starting from the begining of your mod. I noticed that your motor looks too low. I know you mentioned that you were thinking about moving it up and it looks like it does need to be moved up more. From the pics (kinds hard to see for sure) but it looks like you could raise it about 2".

I got to give my boat a good running yesterday. Lake Travis is full so they are releasing water down the Colorado. Since the river was up the boys brought out the redneck yacht club. Five jons hit the waters and ran all afternoon. Fishing was horrible because it was so murky and flowing hard, but the buzz caught was good. With three guys and coolers, my boat ran awsome. Pods helped alot. later I picked up another passenger so with 4 people going back up stream against the current it still ran great. Oh and Huntinfool the motor in the begging of the build sat low on the original transom. With the new transom it could have been picked up another inch, but with the new pods I can't go any higher. I thought I would have been able to pick it up with the pods but I don't think I can. Still works for me. With the load in boat shifted right I think I am as shallow as I can get. I will have to get some pictures of it running and a shot from the boat looking down on the prop while wot.

Ok I have worked myself into a cross road. A buddy bought a boat a week ago and I went with him to get it instead of putting my floor in. It was a little smaller then mine, but it was set up almost how I wanted mine. There was an extension to the front deck, a floor, and pods. What caught my eye though was that there was a tunnel built in to it as well. After talking with the guy who owned it I found out it was all done in his sheet metal shop. He welded up the pods, deck, transom, and even the tunnel. After running it with my friend I soon couldn't help but notice it runs 5" shallower then mine. That made me jealous. I know if I cut one in I will lose speed, but if I run shallower then so be it. At least that is where I am now. Do I take the task of cutting in a tunnel? I know I can do it I am just concerned about size, and design. I don't want to put something in that is doing more harm then good, but if I could find some guidence in how to design it then I know I can get the river runner I want. That is where you guys come in. I was seeing if anyone has put a tunnel in or have pictures of thier tunnels in their boats they would be willing to share to help me make up my mind. Also if there are any other negative effects of a tunnel I should take into consideration as well. Here is a picture of the boat my buddy got. It doesn't show much but it was all we had of it.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,662
After a weekend on the river I have decided against the tunnel design. My buddies boat ran fine but it just seem to me that I have a perfectly good boat and if i need a tunnel I will buy one with it. I have prepared the inside of the boat for paint and will be putting it on this week if the weather cooperates. Then I will put the foam in the floor and the aluminum plate down. I hope to have it all done by the weekend and I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Well after a few days of wet weather I was able to get some shots of the floor. I wirebrushed the floor and selfetched with primer, then I put a couple coats of rustoleum exterior enamel. Just something I had so I put in on the floor where the foam is going. We then cut up 3/4" foam board for flotation and then cut the floor out of a piece of aluminum. It was a little tricky to get the floor in, but I think it will be alright. I have included some picks, but they are not the best. It is still cloudy here, but I got a few more rain free days to try to get the front dack and maybe the rear deck installed. I will take more pictures as I progress.

Attachments

• SN850271.JPG
    SN850271.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,627
  • SN850272.JPG
    SN850272.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,627
  • SN850273.JPG
    SN850273.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,627
  • SN850274.JPG
    SN850274.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,627
  • SN850275.JPG
    SN850275.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,627
Looks great! I am debating putting a floor in on my boat and getting rid of the tiller and putting a center console and a remote on the motor. I have everything here, but I don't know if I want to lose the floor space and gain the extra weight.

Thanks. Yeah I would love to have a center console, but if I go that far I would have to buy an old used one. This one is about to be modded as far as I want to go. Speaking of which... I moved my boat into the garage to work on the front deck. After me and a buddy picked it up we noticed that it is heavier now with the floor. A little more then expected so I decided against the back deck for now. Here are the pictures of the front deck framed out. I will be going to a buddies to shear the deck and some support bracket I am fabbing for the floor to attach to the sides of the boat. I will add more pictures once it is done.

Attachments

• SN850277.JPG
    SN850277.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 3,380
  • SN850276.JPG
    SN850276.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 3,380
I believe mine is a 74 model boat.

Well I got the floor support sheared and broke, as well as the front deck. I really got to get me a shear and metal break at my house. Those are handy. Either way here are some pictures of the floor braces and the deck. Nothing is attched yet as I have some questions. Would pop rivets work to attach my braces to the side walls of my boat or should I weld them? I rather not weld them if I don't have to, but I don't want something that is going to leak next week. A drip or two is not bad as there is an automatic bilge pump being installed, but the less water the better. Thanks.

Attachments

• SN850278.JPG
    SN850278.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 3,369
  • SN850279.JPG
    SN850279.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 3,369
  • SN850280.JPG
    SN850280.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 3,369
  • SN850281.JPG
    SN850281.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 3,369
Looking great! =D> What thickness alum. are you using on the floors and deck?

I believe the floors are 1/8th inch. Here are some shots after everything is put together. I got the deck welded and riveted in. The floor supports are riveted in, and then everything got a coat of self etching primer. I promiseed the girlfriend a sunday trip to the river so I didn't have a chance to really get everything put back in, but the set up will be a little different then the pictures show. I have something coming in tonight that if it works out in the boat I will have to show yall. That way if it doesn't I don't look like a goof. Plus then I will have everything laid out like I want it. Until then enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• SN850282.JPG
    SN850282.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 3,354
  • SN850283.JPG
    SN850283.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 3,354
  • SN850284.JPG
    SN850284.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 3,354
Looks good.

What gage is the Alum. you used on the deck?

Look faward to more pics..

Really like that it is all Alum..............

Great project, your doing an amazing job! I'm starting a very similar project on my boat. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread for ideas and inspiration.

Well after having to wrestle this next step of this mod by myself I guess it went alright. Instead of Hydro turf, I tried to find something similar but more in my price range. Somehow I came across the idea of Yoga mats. These thin foam mats are 1/8" thick, do not absorb tons of water, and stay tacky so you don't slip. They did however add 10lbs to my boat, but that is no big concern. I just finished glueing them down last night with weldwood, which is why you don't want to do this yourself, that stuff doesn't mess around. I had everything cut out and dry fitted, but once I started trying to wrestle those sheets with a slight wind they didn't exactly line up perfectly so the seems show. That is where I might have to do some touching up. I am thinking of an aluminum strip to cover the seams, or just another sliver of the stuff glued on itself. I am not sure. But here are some updated photos.

On a side note, don't rush your work. I have a tournament this weekend and I was wanting to have the flooring done and that may have had something to do with not waiting for help.

Attachments

• SN850290.JPG
    SN850290.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 3,322
  • SN850289.JPG
    SN850289.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 3,322
  • SN850286.JPG
    SN850286.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 3,322
  • SN850287.JPG
    SN850287.JPG